Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,322 of 9,041

• The AK-380 is portable NOT transportable.  Less the amp as I don't have it either

blink.gif
  Can you expand on the difference between portable and transportable?  I use my 240 at the gym as it easily fits in my pocket and is not too heavy.  Do you think the 380 would be too large or heavy for that that application?

Thanks for the nice review !  

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,323 of 9,041

blink.gif
  Can you expand on the difference between portable and transportable?  I use my 240 at the gym as it easily fits in my pocket and is not too heavy.  Do you think the 380 would be too large or heavy for that that application?

There is no industry standard, but in general I think most folks would characterize as follows:

Portable - runs on batteries and can fit in some pockets. No cables to disconnect, just carry and go.

Transportable - may or may not run on batteries and small enough to carry around like a laptop/tablet, but definitely too big to fit in pockets. Also their may be a interconnect cable or 2 that needs to be disconnected to move from one location to another.

Where it gets more blurry is that some folks who stack a DAP with a DAC with an amp that all run or batteries and short interconnects will call the triple stack "portable" just because of the battery power and the ability to move around without disconnecting any cables. Personally I would label stacks as transportable but that's just personal definition. There are DAP and thin amp stacks that certainly are small enough to be described as "portable".

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,325 of 9,041
Mmm....I like the bag vs. pocket to distinguish transportable vs. portable. I don't have any problem with either. Being a portable/transportable nut, I embrace both: If I can carry the rig with one hand, I'm all good. The Chord Hugo stack, say AK380+chord+cdm, is really pushing it in terms of transportable. It harkens to the days of the portable cassette tape recorder/player of yesteryear. It is not as bad as the boomboxes of the '80s. You needed a strong shoulder to carry it.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,326 of 9,041
Quote:Originally Posted by Rico613 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif

Thank you Rico613,

I carry a bag for the AK-240 and the Cord Hugo (transportable).  When I get to the subway the AK-240 is in my pocket (portable) and the Hugo is packed away in my napsack. 

Sincerely, 
-Speed

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,327 of 9,041
Bro that's a long custom hold. How much import tax did they charge you for your ak380?

Thanks for the pics. I own ak240 and ak240ss. Looking forward to your feedback with ak240ss vs ak380.

After long waiting since 3 July 2015 for the Custom released.
Today Fedex delievered my dream AK 380 .
Now no more dream .it is true AK 380 in my hand .

Thank you Fedex and Indonesia Cuatom not opened the Box from my AK 380 ."

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,330 of 9,041
  The hum noise goes away when I moved the AK380 away from the computer and monitor, RF shield problem? This happens with all my cables with 3.5mm plug, the AK240 is silent.

uh oh. Can someone else report whether they have this problem with their 380?

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,331 of 9,041
  As soon as I put my Mentor into my ear, I knew some were wrong, I mean I didn't even play a song yet,  I heard hum noise from the right channel, I hope it is not defective, again.

Have you tried turning the Wifi on and off? I have the same with my AK240. Whenever I have the Wifi turned on and my phone close by, there is some noticeable interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back