Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,351 of 9,042
  I found a way to remotely control the AK380 from Apple Watch.
It is to install a DLNA player soft "mconnect player free" to iphone. Then the AK380 is possible remote control via "mconnect play free".

cool. An actual worthy use of the Apple Watch.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,352 of 9,042
Jul 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,354 of 9,042
If 15-20% 380 over 240SS, then what are guesstimates of a AK380 over a stock AK240?

Well, it must be approaching 20-25% over a stock 240 based on rudi's thoughts. Although I agree with the majority view that an SS is slightly better than a stock 240, I do want to emphasize the descriptor slightly. Like 5% better. Then again, I'm not using world class headphones like the LCD-3s in my assessment.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,355 of 9,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

If 15-20% 380 over 240SS, then what are guesstimates of a AK380 over a stock AK240?

Well, it must be approaching 20-25% over a stock 240 based on rudi's thoughts. Although I agree with the majority view that an SS is slightly better than a stock 240, I do want to emphasize the descriptor slightly. Like 5% better. Then again, I'm not using world class headphones like the LCD-3s in my assessment.

Thank you JW, please other thoughts using just the AK380 as a all in one.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,356 of 9,042
I received my AK380 about 2 weeks ago. I can affirm the statements that others have made regarding the improved sound quality over the AK240. Additionally, the Ak380 plus Hugo is particularly spectacular (via optical) but curious if others have found different connection methods improving the quality even more.

Also, wondering if others with AK380 can share any custom EQ settings that improve the Layla IEM?

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,358 of 9,042
380 to CDM is only using the amp section of the CDM?Is that correct?

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,360 of 9,042
Ok, so continuation from my SF Meet impressions:

First - my apologies to AK and Headfi members for my criticisms and snarky comments on the company and the AK380. I learned today that until I meet the people behind the company and then hold the product in my hands, I just need to ****. Meeting Jimmy M from AK has given me the right perspective. Jimmy is an honest guy and was handing out great advice to all of folks who came by and will answer any question you throw at him and the answers are straight forward and no BS.

Onto the AK380 and my impressions:
  1. Once again, it looks terrible in pictures, but holding it feels right. I didn't learn my lesson from AK240 apparently.
  2. Screen - the larger screen is indeed a nice improvement
  3. UI - it does feel more responsive

Now the SQ - I brought my own micro SD card with ALAC tracks that I know very well and try to listen to specific things. I also limited myself to about 20 min because there were a lot of folks that wanted to try and there was only one unit out for demo. I compared to my RWAK240 and used my K10 in balanced mode. The impression is very simple - tone-wise it's more or less the same as RWAK240. What is definitely noticeable is how much wider and bigger the soundstage is. I don't consider myself an expert listener and I don't have anything close to golden ears. But swapping back and forth on the same tracks between the RWAK240 and AK380, the soundstage improvement to me is pretty obvious. I know people want some type of reference or number comparison but all I can say is that I think with the right headphone/IEMs >90% of people comparing the 2 will notice the soundstage difference. I really don't know the science behind it and I'm sure this is achieved by subtle differences in tone, details, noise floor and other factors. I can't really pick all that stuff out, but I can definitely hear the effects of the sum total.

I am here eating crow and AK380 is a worthy upgrade to the AK240. I still can't see paying the premium in selling my RWAK240 and buying the AK380, but if I was starting fresh, it would be AK380, no contest. Those of you who can afford it, you will not be disappointed. Those of you like me that are on the fence because of how much this upgrade will cost, it's a tough call and not as obvious as I had initially thought. I will be scanning for used AK380s for sure LOL.

Lastly, I may not agree with where AK goes with corporate strategy and pricing, but I know there must be a lot of good people working there like Jimmy (drove up from LA and is driving back for a total of 20+ hours of driving) that take pride in wearing the AK badge. Jimmy is a credit to AK and I will always remember and think of him next time I decide to open my mouth about AK.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,361 of 9,042
Ok, so continuation from my SF Meet impressions:

First - my apologies to AK and Headfi members for my criticisms and snarky comments on the company and the AK380. I learned today that until I meet the people behind the company and then hold the product in my hands, I just need to ****. Meeting Jimmy M from AK has given me the right perspective. Jimmy is an honest guy and was handing out great advice to all of folks who came by and will answer any question you throw at him and the answers are straight forward and no BS.

Onto the AK380 and my impressions:
  • Once again, it looks terrible in pictures, but holding it feels right. I didn't learn my lesson from AK240 apparently.
  • Screen - the larger screen is indeed a nice improvement
  • UI - it does feel more responsive

Now the SQ - I brought my own micro SD card with ALAC tracks that I know very well and try to listen to specific things. I also limited myself to about 20 min because there were a lot of folks that wanted to try and there was only one unit out for demo. I compared to my RWAK240 and used my K10 in balanced mode. The impression is very simple - tone-wise it's more or less the same as RWAK240. What is definitely noticeable is how much wider and bigger the soundstage is. I don't consider myself an expert listener and I don't have anything close to golden ears. But swapping back and forth on the same tracks between the RWAK240 and AK380, the soundstage improvement to me is pretty obvious. I know people want some type of reference or number comparison but all I can say is that I think with the right headphone/IEMs >90% of people comparing the 2 will notice the soundstage difference. I really don't know the science behind it and I'm sure this is achieved by subtle differences in tone, details, noise floor and other factors. I can't really pick all that stuff out, but I can definitely hear the effects of the sum total.

I am here eating crow and AK380 is a worthy upgrade to the AK240. I still can't see paying the premium in selling my RWAK240 and buying the AK380, but if I was starting fresh, it would be AK380, no contest. Those of you who can afford it, you will not be disappointed. Those of you like me that are on the fence because of how much this upgrade will cost, it's a tough call and not as obvious as I had initially thought. I will be scanning for used AK380s for sure LOL.

Lastly, I may not agree with where AK goes with corporate strategy and pricing, but I know there must be a lot of good people working there like Jimmy (drove up from LA and is driving back for a total of 20+ hours of driving) that take pride in wearing the AK badge. Jimmy is a credit to AK and I will always remember and think of him next time I decide to open my mouth about AK.

In my opinion one good person doesn't represent the whole company and everyone is entitled to their impressions based on experience. No need to be sorry

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,363 of 9,042
Okay, so deadly serious question, having the ZX2 and the AK Layla, would I benefit massively (outside of being able to run in balanced mode) by getting the 380? I love the ZX2 dearly but, I have money burning a hole in my pocket...

I would need a next level sound improvement though, which worries me with the 240 vs 380 comments, considering the ZX2 is supposed to sit shoulder to shoulder with the 240...

Chances of a demo are slim to zero...

Probably not worth it. Spend that money on a full sized headphone and the difference would really be night and day. The difference of upgrading from ZX2 to 380 probably is like 1/100 of that difference. Am I comparing apples and oranges? Yes - but if you take my advice and are willing to step out of the IEM convenience / comfort zone, you will thank me later.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,364 of 9,042

Probably not worth it. Spend that money on a full sized headphone and the difference would really be night and day. The difference of upgrading from ZX2 to 380 probably is like 1/100 of that difference. Am I comparing apples and oranges? Yes - but if you take my advice and are willing to step out of the IEM convenience / comfort zone, you will thank me later.

Do you have equity in a full sized headphone company? Otherwise you arguments make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and repeating them will not make them truer. To be clear (because you seem to need clarity), let me use a comparison: when people ask for advice on a high end compact car for the city, how useful is it to tell them to get out of their compact car comfort zone (whatever that means) to buy a Hummer. Not one bit.

But you know what, I think I'll get a full-sized home rig with Abyss headphones and put it in a huge back pack  that I will carry in the subway and on the plane. Then when they put me in restraints, I'll tell them: but Louis told me to get out of my comfort zone! Then they will lock me forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back