Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #8,374 of 9,040
Hi all, I own an ak380cu, but I realise that overtime, the unit tarnishes a lot faster than when I first got it. Is there anyone else that is facing this issue? Or is there a way to slow down the tarnishing of the copper? Thank you!

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #8,375 of 9,040
Hi all, I own an ak380cu, but I realise that overtime, the unit tarnishes a lot faster than when I first got it. Is there anyone else that is facing this issue? Or is there a way to slow down the tarnishing of the copper? Thank you!
How do you clean your Cu?

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #8,377 of 9,040
The protective coating from A&K does not last very long, this is true. The internet tells me that Autosol also protects the metal, so I am surprised that you have to polish your Cu so often. I personally use Unipol, which commonly used for the protection of brass instruments. It is rather oily and protects copper from tarnishing for some time. It is enough to polish it every two months or so.

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,378 of 9,040
The protective coating from A&K does not last very long, this is true. The internet tells me that Autosol also protects the metal, so I am surprised that you have to polish your Cu so often. I personally use Unipol, which commonly used for the protection of brass instruments. It is rather oily and protects copper from tarnishing for some time. It is enough to polish it every two months or so.
It tarnishes really fast which is something I dont understand. May I know how old is your unit?

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #8,379 of 9,040
The thing you have to understand is that the "tarnish" is actually a layer of copper oxide. If you remove it without applying a protection afterwards, oxidation will occur again very fast, especially if you have wet hands, since water will speed up the process.

There are products that will turn the ugly greenish copper oxide into another oxide that is less colored and more resistant, to better isolate the fresh copper metal underneath from further oxidation. But it's less efficient with copper than it is with iron.

In other metals (titanium, aluminum...), the oxidized layer is not colored (just a slightly darker hue) and hard enough to protect the fresh metal underneath from further oxidation.
Which is why copper is initially such a poor choice for a chassis that is going to be handled primarily with dirty/greasy/wet hands.

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #8,380 of 9,040
It tarnishes really fast which is something I dont understand. May I know how old is your unit?

It is 18 months old. I have to add that I do not touch the Cu often, because I use the RM01 remote control.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #8,382 of 9,040
The thing you have to understand is that the "tarnish" is actually a layer of copper oxide. If you remove it without applying a protection afterwards, oxidation will occur again very fast, especially if you have wet hands, since water will speed up the process.

There are products that will turn the ugly greenish copper oxide into another oxide that is less colored and more resistant, to better isolate the fresh copper metal underneath from further oxidation. But it's less efficient with copper than it is with iron.

In other metals (titanium, aluminum...), the oxidized layer is not colored (just a slightly darker hue) and hard enough to protect the fresh metal underneath from further oxidation.
Which is why copper is initially such a poor choice for a chassis that is going to be handled primarily with dirty/greasy/wet hands.
So do u have any suggestions on what is that layer of "protection" i can use after polishing so that it will maintain its shine? thanks

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #8,383 of 9,040
So do u have any suggestions on what is that layer of "protection" i can use after polishing so that it will maintain its shine? thanks

I no longer have the CU but when I did, I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128B5JZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You apply the polish and use a microfiber cloth to buff clean. Washing the cloth in hot water and soap afterwards is all it takes to clean it. In CA climate that is low humidity and no pine trees, it stays polished for about 2 weeks (rose gold color) if you don't touch it much and it gradually fades for another 4 weeks to reach a copper color, but still shines. I never waited long enough to see how long it would take to reach tarnished look, but I would predict a couple months. The one really irritating thing is that the area around the power button can tarnish in a matter of days since your finger is touching it a lot and depends on much clean your hand is.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #8,384 of 9,040
I no longer have the CU but when I did, I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128B5JZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You apply the polish and use a microfiber cloth to buff clean. Washing the cloth in hot water and soap afterwards is all it takes to clean it. In CA climate that is low humidity and no pine trees, it stays polished for about 2 weeks (rose gold color) if you don't touch it much and it gradually fades for another 4 weeks to reach a copper color, but still shines. I never waited long enough to see how long it would take to reach tarnished look, but I would predict a couple months. The one really irritating thing is that the area around the power button can tarnish in a matter of days since your finger is touching it a lot and depends on much clean your hand is.
So to clarify. u use metal polish on the cape cod polishing cloth?

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #8,385 of 9,040
So to clarify. u use metal polish on the cape cod polishing cloth?

Not quite. The cape cod product is a cloth that is soaked in the polish formula, packaged in re-sealable foil pouch so you can re-use the cloth. It is NOT a polishing cloth, just a means to apply the polish. I initially made the mistake thinking the product was all in one. However since it is soaked in polish formula, it can never remove the polish from the metal so it is only meant to apply the polish to the metal surface. Therefore you need a dry, clean microfibre cloth (not included) to wipe the polish off. By doing so, your microfibre cloth will pick up all the black oxidized copper. My second mistake was thinking that the black oxidized copper (there will be lots of it), cannot come out of the microfibre cloth so I threw it away. My wife smacked me in the back of the head and showed how simply washing in hot water with soap gets the oxidized copper to release from the cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back