1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Astell&Kern AK380

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Dopaminer, Apr 22, 2015.
First

Back
548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557
559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568
Next

Last
  1. mcemce13
    Big difference, dx200 mango touch and overall OS navigation is not as responsive as in AK units. AK I believe spend time optimizing the user experience. Similar to iOS experience

2. hotjava13
    I just purchased an AK380 on prime day for $2500 from AK's site, haven't opened it yet. Keep second guessing my self, I did have the Kann for a short while but was unimpressed with the sound. Listening with either Focal Elear or JH 16v2...I would like some Head-Fi wisdom !!

3. Samuel777
    If you could Try the cu version of AK380 maybe you would be impressed as many of us ...

4. tienbasse
    "Unimpressed" isn't very helpful.
    What kind of signature are you after ?

Decreate likes this.
  5. hotjava13

Ok, forgive the noob response... I found the Kann lifeless, like I was sitting in the back row at concert hall in Detroit. The highs were recessed, mids were ok and bass was thin, the player wasnt fun to listen too. I let the Kann play for two days before listing, eq didnt make much of a difference unless I used the delivered Pro EQ. Files consisted of wav, flac, and DSD.. 16/44.1, 24/96,24/196 2.8 MHz 5.6 MHz, I suppose I'm looking for a warmer sounding player with good instrument separation so I can get lost in the music.

6. Whitigir
    Try Wm1z?

7. hotjava13
    The golden brick, no I have not had the opportunity. Do you have this unit, if so any insight ?

8. Whitigir
    I too like warmth and more analog sounding with fun injected, and I do like Wm1z but with Utopia and SA5000 out of it Balanced port

9. JasonNYC
    All of our players now officially support microSD cards up to 256GB.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://instagram.com/astellnkern https://us.astellnkern.com support.inc@iriver.com
    Whitigir likes this.
  10. SilverEars
    Here's my impressions so far:

It's really not analog sounding source like pretty much all the AK's. It does sound different from the AK100ii, frequency response is more even(as the 100 sounds like upper lows boosed a bit and slightly brighter at some points, a bit colder sounding), and slightly more definition to the sound. But in general, AK's from 100ii onward carry similar sound traits.

I don't see the purpose of the cover not covering up the corner near the volume control as if you drop it in the corner, it will scratch.

It's the nicest player out there in terms of build, ui, size of storage, etc.., but how the hell does a $2.5k portable get hummm sound when connected to a wall charger? At that price point I expect perfection. No, it's not perfect.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  11. tienbasse
    Not sure I understand what you mean in this sentence.

12. xxx1313
    I often listen to my AK380+amp while it is charged, and all I can say is that there is no hum and no sound degradation of any kind while charging.

13. SilverEars
    Just realized it's not an isolated case for AK380 only, but also happens with Chord Mojo as well, and even when I touch the Mojo on the housing even, my headphones picks up humm. My headphones are CIEMs, so it's probably really sensitive to noise, and the outlet is leaking humm. Probably more of a grounding problem regarding the outlet, and shielding.

14. SilverEars
    I like the AK380 fine treble a lot, but Mojo sounds more natural regarding bass(although the 380 has tight bass) and overall signature.

A better source would be combination of the strengths of the two sources. Hugo's bass and mids, and AK380's fine treble, and would be the best I've heard.

Hugo's treble can be slightly grainy depending on the track, but AK380's treble is finer to rid of the grainyness.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  15. parabellum777
    Mojo? Do you mean Hugo? I don't think Mojo is better than AK380 in any aspect.

First

Back
548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557
559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568
Next

Last