Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #6,646 of 9,040

may be his headphone is not good enough to hear all detail in 380 

I don't think it's fair for you to just assume that their headphone/IEMs are insufficient.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to he/she's opinion.

FWIW you're correct that the AK380 is very nice. But having just A-B tested it with the AK240SS, I could personally live with either one and could see how some might prefer it to the AK380.

At the end of the day both are fantastic and if you are happy with what you have it's all that matters! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #6,648 of 9,040

sure, every one had their own opinion and sorry for my careless.

It's all good. 
happy_face1.gif

And I do agree with you, that there is the slightest amount of a little more detail to the AK380's sound to my ears. 
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #6,649 of 9,040

It's all good. 
happy_face1.gif

And I do agree with you, that there is the slightest amount of a little more detail to the AK380's sound to my ears. 
wink.gif

380 and 380 copper just a little bit different, but when you know this with your ears, you can't step back again.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #6,650 of 9,040

sure, every one had their own opinion and sorry for my careless.

BTW how do you like the Campfire's?

I'm far from an IEM expert. I like them from time to time like when going for a walk in the morning or on a plane etc.

Having always been a headphone person, my first half decent IEM was the InEar SD-3s. Great for EDM which I have a lot of. But fell short when listening to jazz or classic rock which I enjoy as well.

Currently use the Senn IE800s which I think are quite good.

I'm only interested in universal fit so any suggestions with the Campfire line or others that pair well with the AK players would be appreciated!

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #6,652 of 9,040

BTW how do you like the Campfire's?

I'm far from an IEM expert. I like them from time to time like when going for a walk in the morning or on a plane etc.

Having always been a headphone person, my first half decent IEM was the InEar SD-3s. Great for EDM which I have a lot of. But fell short when listening to jazz or classic rock which I enjoy as well.

Currently use the Senn IE800s which I think are quite good.

I'm only interested in universal fit so any suggestions with the Campfire line or others that pair well with the AK players would be appreciated!

I'm using Andromeda, if you love the jazz and classic rock I'll recommend the Jupiter for you, that one is more dynamic also it had 2 ALO cable ( 2.5 and 3.5 ) it is best and cheap to play in balance area.

Andromeda had more detail but the original cable is not strong enough to show off, so you need to prepare some cost to replace or upgrade the cable.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #6,653 of 9,040
Thank you, do you hear a noticeable difference between the stock cable and this one?

Honestly to my ears no, I bought it because I wanted a balanced cable that is not bulky. FiiO makes a balanced cable as well I think it's 70 bucks, I would not recommend it at all. Here is a pic of the two-

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #6,654 of 9,040

I don't think it's fair for you to just assume that their headphone/IEMs are insufficient.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to he/she's opinion.

FWIW you're correct that the AK380 is very nice. But having just A-B tested it with the AK240SS, I could personally live with either one and could see how some might prefer it to the AK380.

At the end of the day both are fantastic and if you are happy with what you have it's all that matters! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree. There are indeed differences between phones, and if one can hear a difference in details, and another cant, then the only conclusion is 1) the phones are lacking or 2) his ears need help. Most of us, would probably fall into the former. I have difference phones, some of which are way more technical in the details it can extract from the song; every stutter, badly mastered bits comes out in its full glory, while some phones just gloss over it. 

None the less, I do agree that both players are indeed fantastic DAPS, and if you are happy with that, then that is all that matters. But, to say everyone is perfectly entitled to his opinion, is the same as saying that some people are entitled to thinking that the vaccines cause autism. No one should be allowed to sprout misinformation due to a set of results or circumstances which have an entirely different reason without being corrected. Case in point, I have a friend who owns a 240, another who owns a 240SS (now modded by Musashi Tech), and I personally have owned both the 380 black and the CU. We didnt just, 'A-B' each others' player; we actually had to rely on each others players for extended periods of time as our main DAPs as we, in turn, found ourselves playerless at different point of times due to a set of rather amusing situations. That said, we each settled on our player for different reasons, but we all agree that the 380 is the most technically proficient (but lacks bass depth), the CU slightly more coloured, the SS (nice bass extension yet maintains a airy treble, and my friend is a bass player), and the 240 being the most balanced in its price to performance (friend is a student).  

Between the 3 players, you gain some, and you lose some. Choose what you want. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,655 of 9,040
I disagree. There are indeed differences between phones, and if one can hear a difference in details, and another cant, then the only conclusion is 1) the phones are lacking or 2) his ears need help. Most of us, would probably fall into the former. I have difference phones, some of which are way more technical in the details it can extract from the song; every stutter, badly mastered bits comes out in its full glory, while some phones just gloss over it. 

None the less, I do agree that both players are indeed fantastic DAPS, and if you are happy with that, then that is all that matters. But, to say everyone is perfectly entitled to his opinion, is the same as saying that some people are entitled to thinking that the vaccines cause autism. No one should be allowed to sprout misinformation due to a set of results or circumstances which have an entirely different reason without being corrected. Case in point, I have a friend who owns a 240, another who owns a 240SS (now modded by Musashi Tech), and I personally have owned both the 380 black and the CU. We didnt just, 'A-B' each others' player; we actually had to rely on each others players for extended periods of time as our main DAPs as we, in turn, found ourselves playerless at different point of times due to a set of rather amusing situations. That said, we each settled on our player for different reasons, but we all agree that the 380 is the most technically proficient (but lacks bass depth), the CU slightly more coloured, the SS (nice bass extension yet maintains a airy treble, and my friend is a bass player), and the 240 being the most balanced in its price to performance (friend is a student).  

Between the 3 players, you gain some, and you lose some. Choose what you want. 
Having owned the AK240, RwAK240, AK240SS and tested the Ak380 and Ak380cu, I find the 240s very different sounding from the 380s. The AK4490 DAC really has a distinctive sound, more liquid, spacious, while the cirrus sounds sharper IMO. Beyond technicalities, I could understand that one prefers one or the other. I prefer the Ak380, but the 240SS is quite brilliant too.

You find the Ak380cu more colored, but also a better performer than the stock right? Or just a matter of taste? Does it partly correct this lack of bass depth you mention or do you need the amp / an amp for that?

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #6,657 of 9,040
Having owned the AK240, RwAK240, AK240SS and tested the Ak380 and Ak380cu, I find the 240s very different sounding from the 380s. The AK4490 DAC really has a distinctive sound, more liquid, spacious, while the cirrus sounds sharper IMO. Beyond technicalities, I could understand that one prefers one or the other. I prefer the Ak380, but the 240SS is quite brilliant too.

You find the Ak380cu more colored, but also a better performer than the stock right? Or just a matter of taste? Does it partly correct this lack of bass depth you mention or do you need the amp / an amp for that?

Personally I can't bring myself to listen to my 380 without the amp. The amp deepens and, to my ears, 'improves' the bass so much that, without the amp connected I just feel that I'm missing out. Despite the fact that, aesthetically, I find the 380 + amp combination bulky and somewhat 'ugly' - where I personally find the 380 alone a beautiful-looking device.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #6,658 of 9,040
  Personally I can't bring myself to listen to my 380 without the amp. The amp deepens and, to my ears, 'improves' the bass so much that, without the amp connected I just feel that I'm missing out. Despite the fact that, aesthetically, I find the 380 + amp combination bulky and somewhat 'ugly' - where I personally find the 380 alone a beautiful-looking device.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the 380cu + amp combo with a Dignis case, but it is very tough to carry around without some sort of bag to put it in while listening. It is odd though, some times I do prefer the sound from the just the 380cu alone without the amp, especially when using the Zeus and Andromeda. I think it is more that I just prefer the portability sometimes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back