Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #6,661 of 9,040
I'm Kinda disappointed. I listed to it a few times and I find it a little depressing. :frowning2:

Are you feeding the WA8 from the Ak Amp output?

I know it's double amping, but I personally think it sounds much better when I feed my CDM from the amp output vs the AK380 headphone out. I set the amp on low gain using the balanced out so the max it will output is 2.1v at max volume.

Would love to get other's thoughts on using the attachable AK amp to drive other amps.

Sorry, not trying to start a debate on double amping. My thought process is that the headphone outputs a 2.1v signal, but the amp on low gain does the same but the signal is better, (deeper/tighter bass, wider soundstage, etc) so why not use that output to feed the CDM.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #6,662 of 9,040
Are you feeding the WA8 from the Ak Amp output?

I know it's double amping, but I personally think it sounds much better when I feed my CDM from the amp output vs the AK380 headphone out. I set the amp on low gain using the balanced out so the max it will output is 2.1v at max volume.

Would love to get other's thoughts on using the attachable AK amp to drive other amps.

Sorry, not trying to start a debate on double amping. My thought process is that the headphone outputs a 2.1v signal, but the amp on low gain does the same but the signal is better, (deeper/tighter bass, wider soundstage, etc) so why not use that output to feed the CDM.

its connected to the AMP out low gain. To be honest I havent really listen to the WA8 connected directly to the AK380. Thanks for the info.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #6,670 of 9,040
I am in full agreement that the amp does add that little bit of body to the songs, which makes listening it a lot more enjoyable. Which is one of the main reason why I decided to, when deciding to re-enter portable DAPs after selling my 380 off, to go for the CU. The CU felt like the middle ground between the 380 and 380+amp combo. 

Sadly, AK, IMO, messed up on the amp design. An amp's primary purpose should be to power those power hungry phones. However, said amp is too weak to drive most phones, and most people here seem to use it just to colour the sound from their IEMS, which is kind of a travesty considering that adding the amp changes the 380 from one sexy player into an obtuse tank.  

So, in a nutshell, if you really want a player alone, go for the CU. If you dont mind the heft, go for the 380+Amp combo. It is possible to burn in the player to slightly tweak the sound, but that requires 1) lots of effort (about a months worth or non-stop run in using specific tracks which emphasize different frequencies) and 2)a slight recklessness because it isnt a reversible process. 

That said, are there any other CU owners in Singapore? All I have is my CU as reference, and an fading memory of how it sounded like initially. I'd like to actually do an A/B test to really verify that the burn in did make a difference, or if it is just smoke. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #6,671 of 9,040
FW 1.40 is available!! and TIDAL is in it 
gs1000.gif

let the update begin!

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #6,673 of 9,040
I notice another mention of the recorder in the latest FW update list. Does anyone have any experience of this device? I would specifically like to know if it has a built-in microphone so that I could, for instance, just put my 380+recorder on the desk to record meetings and so on. Also, are all the controls visible from the 380 screen? Or do I need to use an app on my phone to control it? Any information/help is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back