Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #5,761 of 9,040
Hello, need help need help
i received right now a said brand new AK380 from https://www.topachat.com/accueil/index.php
i ordered it at 2.378 Euros.
Everything seems new : But when i opened the box, and tried to put on the AK380 : impossible.
i put in charge charge the DAP, then reapplied that the Battery was completely down.
the  it started to charge : is that normal ? to see the battery completely down ?
sam

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #5,762 of 9,040
  Hello, need help need help
i received right now a said brand new AK380 from www.topachat.com
i ordered it at 2.378 Euros.
Everything seems new : But when i opened the box, and tried to put on the AK380 : impossible.
i put in charge charge the DAP, then reapplied that the Battery was completely down.
the  it started to charge : is that normal ? to see the battery completely down ?
sam

It can happen if the battery had enough time to completely discharge in the box. Unless the battery is very high quality and there is no electric leakage at all, most batteries would slowly discharge even with the DAP off.
You'll probably need a few charges before the battery completely recover from this complete discharge, so the autonomy may seem a bit low on first use. If the autonomy is still low after 3-4 charges, you may want to contact A&K.

I saw this sales last week, it was an epic price!

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5,763 of 9,040

It can happen if the battery had enough time to completely discharge in the box. Unless the battery is very high quality and there is no electric leakage at all, most batteries would slowly discharge even with the DAP off.
You'll probably need a few charges before the battery completely recover from this complete discharge, so the autonomy may seem a bit low on first use. If the autonomy is still low after 3-4 charges, you may want to contact A&K.

I saw this sales last week, it was an epic price!

Normally i have 10 days to return the DAP if i dont like it.
really the product is new, i could see that the i received it in the box. it had never been opened.
t is possible as you said that the product passed long time in stock and the battery discharge by it self.
so i will charge and use and see how it work.
thanks

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5,764 of 9,040
Hello Guys...

I am ready to get a new AK380. I have read many reviews and according to some friends, the copper version has a better SQ. I do not know how much better as i could not audition one my self right now. Do they (cu vers) really have much better SQ? Because personally, i do not like the color ( and weight and price difference about USD750 in here) and  i MUCH prefer the Duralium color one (hoping the SQ not much different than the CU), BUT if the Copper version they really have much better SQ, then i will consider to get that one instead. I am really confused which one should i get and do not want to regret later on. Any suggestion? Thank you!

* i am gonna use this 380 with my Fitear MH334/MH335/Monet17 (and will get Noble K10 very soon)

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #5,765 of 9,040
The internal components are the same only the case is different. The copper has to be polished and gets fingerprints on it and tarnishes and looks bad over time. It also weighs an uncomfortably larger amount so defeats the purpose of being portable. I think astell and kern has bad quality control in my opinion causing defects in their product line sounding different. My 380 was a disappointment and their service is generally hard to reach. (I and many others have emailed them with no answer) This is all my honest opinion, but I think they overcharge for their products and the cayin n5 sounded better for over $3000 less money. It's up to you and many others will disagree but I think you could spend the $4000 on something else like nicer headphones or a brand new top of the line laptop as a source and an amazing portable dac/amp that actually has both native dsd and class a amp which the 380 doesn't have. Alo cdm has those things. Buy a brand new laptop and a better amp and have an overall much better sound for less money. That's what I ended up doing after regretting my 380 purchase. They mislead their fans and slap their logo on something and automatically overcharge for it just because it has their name... Even though there is better out there. This is all my opinion but just look at the tech specs and make your own decisions just giving you a warning. (I'll get flamed for this but it's worth it if I can save someone else a headache or regret) Good luck!

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #5,766 of 9,040
  Hello Guys...

I am ready to get a new AK380. I have read many reviews and according to some friends, the copper version has a better SQ. I do not know how much better as i could not audition one my self right now. Do they (cu vers) really have much better SQ? Because personally, i do not like the color ( and weight and price difference about USD750 in here) and  i MUCH prefer the Duralium color one (hoping the SQ not much different than the CU), BUT if the Copper version they really have much better SQ, then i will consider to get that one instead. I am really confused which one should i get and do not want to regret later on. Any suggestion? Thank you!

* i am gonna use this 380 with my Fitear MH334/MH335/Monet17 (and will get Noble K10 very soon)

Yes - the copper version does have much much better SQ than the original. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #5,769 of 9,040
  Hello Guys...

Yes - the copper version does have much much better SQ than the original. 

If it's a discussion between existing users I wouldn't bother to join because the argument between regular AK380 and CU is getting old and extremely repetitive, but for a potential new owner who has similar concerns as I do (color and weight) then I should voice up here: yes, there is a difference in SQ but no, I disagree with the "much" above. Both of them. Especially after firmware version v1.23 came out. If you end up getting regular AK380, just make sure you get v1.23 because that version's SQ overwhelms all other versions released so far, including the newer v1.24.

I did audition CU btw so I'm not commenting based on my imagination or hope etc.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #5,770 of 9,040
If it's a discussion between existing users I wouldn't bother to join because the argument between regular AK380 and CU is getting old and extremely repetitive, but for a potential new owner who has similar concerns as I do (color and weight) then I should voice up here: yes, there is a difference in SQ but no, I disagree with the "much" above. Both of them. Especially after firmware version v1.23 came out. If you end up getting regular AK380, just make sure you get v1.23 because that version's SQ overwhelms all other versions released so far, including the newer v1.24.

I did audition CU btw so I'm not commenting based on my imagination or hope etc.

Thanks! Yes, if not bcos of this SQ difference confussion, i will get the Duralium version for sure. But as the price of AK380 is so high..i need to really consider about this bcos i dont want to regret after i bought it. :)

My heart keep telling me to get the Duralium version one. I really hope i dont get sorry after my purchase (i really hope the SQ not much of a difference). Good news is, it has EQ just in case i need to use it to adjust the sound :)

Btw, thanks everyone for the inputs.

Cheers!

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #5,771 of 9,040
Thanks! Yes, if not bcos of this SQ difference confussion, i will get the Duralium version for sure. But as the price of AK380 is so high..i need to really consider about this bcos i dont want to regret after i bought it.
smily_headphones1.gif

My heart keep telling me to get the Duralium version one. I really hope i dont get sorry after my purchase (i really hope the SQ not much of a difference). Good news is, it has EQ just in case i need to use it to adjust the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, thanks everyone for the inputs.

Cheers!

To be very frank with you - if you are really concerned about the price, just get Mojo. No doubt you can very well afford the 380 - but I honestly think A&K's products are for people who won't even ask the price - and not something that people should save up to buy. If price to performance ratio comes first, A&K products are actually quite terrible - I would suggest just get the Mojo instead. I am not trying to give the false impression that it is like Hermes or Ferrari (it is not even close, and to this date I think it is mostly a scam with its flagship product just happens to sound good (the 380Cu) - the others are true scams except the AK240), but it is just what it is.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,772 of 9,040
Mmm.......If you can deal with the inevitable "I should have gotten the cu," my reco is to get the AK380 (from an authorized and reputable dealer that is nearest you to minimize hassle of returns/replacement). It is still an end-game DAP.  

There are promo deals for the 380 bundle (cd ripper and amp included). Look it up. Preference: black 380.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #5,774 of 9,040
@Louis - i already have the Mojo :) i love it. But i still prefer using pawgold for my iems/ciems. But mojo is nice. Infact..i prefer it over Hugo.

@raypin - thanks for your recomendation! I will get my 380 from my trusted dealer Jaben shop. I had problem with my ak240ss before..i receieved the new unit with scracth. And they replace me with new one right away. I trust them well. And yes, you are right..the "i should have gotten the cu" is haunting me actually hahaha....but i really dont like the color of the cu tbh. To some..SQ is always number one. But personally..the looks is somehow also important to me. :)

@rei - thanks for your PM. Let me think about it.

Cheers.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #5,775 of 9,040
@Louis - i already have the Mojo
smily_headphones1.gif
i love it. But i still prefer using pawgold for my iems/ciems. But mojo is nice. Infact..i prefer it over Hugo.

@raypin - thanks for your recomendation! I will get my 380 from my trusted dealer Jaben shop. I had problem with my ak240ss before..i receieved the new unit with scracth. And they replace me with new one right away. I trust them well. And yes, you are right..the "i should have gotten the cu" is haunting me actually hahaha....but i really dont like the color of the cu tbh. To some..SQ is always number one. But personally..the looks is somehow also important to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

@rei - thanks for your PM. Let me think about it.

Cheers.

That's fine - if you bought the Cu you may have to deal with the "AK480 is announced one week after I bought the 380Cu" thing anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back