Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 29, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #5,777 of 9,040

That's fine - if you bought the Cu you may have to deal with the "AK480 is announced one week after I bought the 380Cu" thing anyways...

Haha I'll probably jsut send it for the full MST mod and be happy with that. I heard a stage 1 MST 240AK mod and it already encroaches into AK380 territory. The full mod which actually allows you to tweak the sound signature to your preference will be, imho, more than a match for the 480, if and when it does come. 

I wish I had the chance to hear the 380 mod when my friend met up with the modder to discuss his 240mod, but alas the modder was having too much fun with another project to start on the 300series mod. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,778 of 9,040
All current AKs are android based DAPs.
My wishful thinking is that TIDAL is not here yet because AK is still working on MQA (which TIDAL will support too) integration.
AK said about six months ago to "watch out for an announcement soon" when speaking about TIDAL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think tidal decided to implement MQA only shortly after that. And why only get lossless streaming when you can have MQA streaming too? Would make sense for such a premium product imo.

Rumours are that Tidal is talking to Apple about a take over. I wonder what AK would think about streaming an Apple service or whether Apple would want to stream to a non-Apple product?

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #5,779 of 9,040
Rumours are that Tidal is talking to Apple about a take over. I wonder what AK would think about streaming an Apple service or whether Apple would want to stream to a non-Apple product?

Apple Music is already available on non-Apple products, so that, in itself, wouldn't be a barrier to TIDAL remaining/becoming available on other platforms.

That said, whether Apple would let AK build a native client that would access TIDAL is a rather different issue and I'm pretty certain that Apple themselves wouldn't bother with it.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #5,781 of 9,040

mmm.....no longer rumor. Wire service, Associated Press, confirmed that Tidal is in exporatory talks with Apple, Inc. for possible acquisition. It would be SILLY for Apple, Inc. to make this an iOS-only service. 4.2 million paying Tidal customers on multiple platforms, not all of them on iOS or OSX.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #5,783 of 9,040
Hello,
need helps,
i did everything but can't get Qobuz on my AK380.
im in france, i change the setup of time but nothing.
need help
sam

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5,784 of 9,040
I've been having charging issues with my AK380. I've had it plugged in for a couple days and it's only at 50%. I tried using the dock plugged into a USB3 on my computer overnight, but the battery level was lower.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #5,785 of 9,040
  I've been having charging issues with my AK380. I've had it plugged in for a couple days and it's only at 50%. I tried using the dock plugged into a USB3 on my computer overnight, but the battery level was lower.

I think the general recommendation is to use a 2.1A charger (like the iPad charger). I've found that charging from my iMac/PC doesn't always charge fully (if below a certain percentage) or takes a long time.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,789 of 9,040
i think taking care of cu version is a full time job, after seeing the pics above

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #5,790 of 9,040
i think taking care of cu version is a full time job, after seeing the pics above

Yea agree. A much heavier and harder to clean/maintain version of the non copper 380. Internal components are the same and the sound differences are due to lack of quality control. 380cu is not worth it. In fact people should make it a point not to get something so pretentious in my opinion. Think in a year how it would look. Something $4000 should be timeless not bothersome. I sold my 380 and haven't looked back. Iriver never responds to my emails or calls and after spending so much on their overpriced products it felt like a slap in the face. All of this is my harsh opinion but it's just how I feel. I sold mine and replaced it with products that outperform it by leaps and bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back