Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 3, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #3,331 of 9,041
Regarding SE vs Balanced with the AK380.... Vinnie (RWA) explained it very well to me when he was working on the AKAMP modification. 

AK use ribbon cable inside the AKAMP to connect the balanced signal to the output socket where as the SE output is directly soldered.

The same goes in the AK380 unit they use ribbon cable to connect the balanced and SE output sockets to the PCB, I guess for this case the balanced output ends up with a higher loss of quality compared to the SE output when this type of cable is internally used.

With the full RWA setup I am using the AKAMP balanced output since the mods Vinnie have made replace all the ribbon cables throughout the full signal path from AK380 down to the balanced out from the amp.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,333 of 9,041
mmm.....contact AK directly for manually updating your 380's firmware. I think that it is possible for as long as you can access the folder/directory of your AK, via usb connection to your laptop. The latest firmware is 1.19. Have you tried resetting to factory default?

Yes I can access AK380 via usb. AK is bad now that you cannot download the firmware update from its website.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #3,335 of 9,041
  The WIFI on my AK380 is broken, how can I update the firmware now? seems I cannot update the firmware with a cable connection?
anyone can help me? thanks!

Cranky:

Did you consider restoring the unit to factory default?  

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,337 of 9,041
Regarding SE vs Balanced with the AK380.... Vinnie (RWA) explained it very well to me when he was working on the AKAMP modification. 

AK use ribbon cable inside the AKAMP to connect the balanced signal to the output socket where as the SE output is directly soldered.

The same goes in the AK380 unit they use ribbon cable to connect the balanced and SE output sockets to the PCB, I guess for this case the balanced output ends up with a higher loss of quality compared to the SE output when this type of cable is internally used.

With the full RWA setup I am using the AKAMP balanced output since the mods Vinnie have made replace all the ribbon cables throughout the full signal path from AK380 down to the balanced out from the amp.

That is straight out very technical explainations, and in this case, it is safe to assume that A&K balanced configuration is not a so called "well implemented"....surprisingly for the price of ak380. What is more surprisingly is that there are so many people who refuses to believe that cables do affect the sound quality :D

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,339 of 9,041
That is straight out very technical explainations, and in this case, it is safe to assume that A&K balanced configuration is not a so called "well implemented"....surprisingly for the price of ak380. What is more surprisingly is that there are so many people who refuses to believe that cables do affect the sound quality
biggrin.gif

I would assume production costs come into this equation.... but at this price that could be questioned
blink.gif

A ribbon cable is easier to connect then hand soldering the output sockets to the PCB, more fool proof I guess.

Apparently it was not possible to rework the cabling in the RWAK380 to the SE and Balanced output sockets because it was too tight to do.
I'll be sticking to the balanced output on the RWAK380AMP to eliminate all those nasty cheap ribbon cables 
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,342 of 9,041

Is the difference the removal of the ribbon cables makes quantified?

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3,343 of 9,041

Did anybody ask where this line comes from

"By the time you read this, the AK380 should be able to stream from Tidal, including lossless 16-bit audio via subscription. The audience for this product wouldn’t balk at the monthly fee of $25.99.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/astell-kern-ak380-music-player-review#IjDOzZuOvJvLKBgG.99"

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,344 of 9,041

Is the difference the removal of the ribbon cables makes quantified?

Vinnie replaced the ribbon cable with Cardas Golden Section Litz copper wiring so naturally this will help compared to a cheap cable. 
Having another listen last night the soundstage and bass extension is vastly improved compared to the unmodded AK380+Amp.
Also the mids and highs sound a lot more natural.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,345 of 9,041
Vinnie replaced the ribbon cable with [COLOR=555555]Cardas Golden Section Litz copper wiring so naturally this will help compared to a cheap cable. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=555555]Having another listen last night the soundstage and bass extension is vastly improved compared to the unmodded AK380+Amp.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=555555]Also the mids and highs sound a lot more natural.[/COLOR]

I can vouch for better cables is better sound for sure....tsk tsk...A&K, with this price and couldn't even bother to have a good cables....makes me wonder about the rest of the components inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back