Astell&Kern AK380
May 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #316 of 9,041
AK is accurately ripping us alright
biggrin.gif

LOL.

May 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #317 of 9,041
Also for those worry about the exposed 4-pin balanced out on the bottom, I think it create a lot of future 3rd party modding options.  For those who are not familiar with high end computer gaming and over clocking, manufactures are now putting port and pin out like this for modder to solder wires directly onto the PCB, so that they can directly monitor and even override at the hardware level.  Of course the AK380 is no where near that right now, but I do see this as a positive step toward something bigger.

May 14, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #320 of 9,041
One thing I have noticed that in non audio related consumer markets such as phones, pc, etc the price difference among the new and old iteration tends to be negligible, but in the audiophile market they seem to increase by more than 50%. I know the number of consumers are less but I also think they get the idea that the ppl will spend doesn't matter what are the incremental benefits. One good e.g is AK240SS.

Did anyone notice it? Don't know how far this hobby can sustain. In an ideal situation the AK380 price could be close to ak240 but pretty sure they wont. Even if it is same as SS still it is justifiable. Anyways it was my 2 cents.

May 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #322 of 9,041
One thing I have noticed that in non audio related consumer markets such as phones, pc, etc the price difference among the new and old iteration tends to be negligible, but in the audiophile market they seem to increase by more than 50%. I know the number of consumers are less but I also think they get the idea that the ppl will spend doesn't matter what are the incremental benefits. One good e.g is AK240SS.

Did anyone notice it? Don't know how far this hobby can sustain. In an ideal situation the AK380 price could be close to ak240 but pretty sure they wont. Even if it is same as SS still it is justifiable. Anyways it was my 2 cents.

I agree, price should stabilize. 5000$ is not a healthy direction to take for a DAP price.

Totally agree, but to mention that the AK380 will have a lot of accessory options than the AK240, which will surely further jack up the price on the full setup.

May 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #326 of 9,041
If anyone is at the show in Munich, can they please confirm if there will be an AK380SS model?

I noticed enough difference in sound (to my ears) between my ak240 an ak240SS to warrant the wait for the SS.

May 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #330 of 9,041
If anyone is at the show in Munich, can they please confirm if there will be an AK380SS model?

I noticed enough difference in sound (to my ears) between my ak240 an ak240SS to warrant the wait for the SS.
. I asked - they laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back