Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,966 of 9,041

Kudos to you with respect to your article release regarding the AK380! 
To briefly summarize your review, unloaded (No headphones attached) the AK 380 has the industry “lead-leading” audio metrics compared to other DAP’s.  However, unless you have it plugged-in (loaded) with either the built-in amps with low impedance IEM or headphones, the “lead-leading” audio metrics fall apart to varying degrees.  Is this correct?
Now that AK has released its external amp and assuming it is “very very very good”, then the AK 380 coupled with the new amp could potentially be the very best portable and transportable set-up one could hope for!

The AK 380 sounds fantastic with the Layla's and optically connected to the Cord Hugo sounds amazing with either the HE-1000 or the Senneiser HD-800’s headphones.
Is there a benefit “sound and/or audio metric wise” if I strictly used an amp vs. a DAC to connect the AK380 player too?  If so why would I benefit from replacing my Cord Hugo with just an amp?

A few comments regarding your article:
  1. “NL” is your abbreviation for “No Load” but why is it not reference in the unbalanced portion of your review.  It is clearly referenced in the balanced section.
  2. I disagree with your comments regarding the “screen is “good quality”.  Yes it’s clearly bigger (if that’s what you mean) but in my view AK has taken a “step-backwards” regarding the technology used.  Although the AK240 display is over saturated with color I continue to dislike the bland lack of color regarding the new display. 
  3. The volume button does have “good feel” but I clearly don’t like where the volume button is located.   It is not practical especially when it is located in your jacket breast pocket or in your pants.  It takes too much effort to reach the volume control to raise and lower the volume when you’re on the go.  The location of the volume knob was better situated with the AK 240.
  4. The corners are edgy and I agree but they are NOT sharp as sharp indicates you could be cut and this is NOT the case.  And don’t worry it not going to affect your….
Respectfully your friend in audio,
-Speed

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. 

I missed this post among the fuss. 

As to the amp, I'm not sure. Good integrated amps nearly always outperform outboard amps in terms of adhering to original signals. Obviously outboard amps can be much more powerful. I assume it will be more powerful, but unless it has access to the internal signal it shouldn't be able to keep up to the signal of the AK380. It may -- and depending on -- how/for what headphone it is built, be able to sustain current into difficult loads better than the AK380. 

- NL: no load. I reference it in the review in both balanced and unbalanced and, at ohm image, show both balanced and unbalanced loaded and unloaded. 
- the screen isn't as contrasty, which isn't quite as fun looking, but is a bit more colour neutral next to a calibrated monitor. (I'm an advertising product photographer by trade.)
- volume pot: it is more solid than the AK240. Its metal machining is better. I agree on placement. But that thing won't fit in a jacket pocket anyway. I reviewed it as a good-on-table-only device.
- If you press your hand, or catch the AK380 falling, it will definitely let blood. It is a bad design. But no, they won't cut like a knife. I used the 'cut' a bit figuratively. 

Thank you again for your feedback. It was wonderful.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,967 of 9,041
The AK 380 sounds fantastic with the Layla's and optically connected to the Cord Hugo sounds amazing with either the HE-1000 or the Senneiser HD-800’s headphones.
Is there a benefit “sound and/or audio metric wise” if I strictly used an amp vs. a DAC to connect the AK380 player too?  If so why would I benefit from replacing my Cord Hugo with just an amp?

it is not the 380 that sounds great with the HD800 or HE-1000 when connected optically to the Chord Hugo,it is the Hugo that sounds great since you are only using the 380 as a transport....I have the 120 and the 240 and i use my 120 with my Chord Hugo and it does indeed sound wonderful but any transport will sound just as good and if there is any difference it is .00001 of difference....I have compared my 240 to my 120 through my Hugo and there is no way I could possibly tell you the difference my ears simply arent that good even if there is some imperceptible difference...I am amazed to read that people buy a 3500 dollar DAP in order to through a Chord Hugo....on the other hand a Vorzuge pure II+ with a 240 is an improvement power wise while using the fine DAC in the 240 and at a modest cost!

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,968 of 9,041
Are people actually buying the 380 purely as a transport for their hugo though or are they buying the 380 as a great portable solution and then hooking it up to their hugo to see what that sounds like?

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,970 of 9,041
[COLOR=FF0000]The AK 380 sounds fantastic with the Layla's and optically connected to the Cord Hugo sounds amazing with either the HE-1000 or the Senneiser HD-800’s headphones.

Is there a benefit “sound and/or audio metric wise” if I strictly used an amp vs. a DAC to connect the AK380 player too?  If so why would I benefit from replacing my Cord Hugo with just an amp?[/COLOR]

it is not the 380 that sounds great with the HD800 or HE-1000 when connected optically to the Chord Hugo,it is the Hugo that sounds great since you are only using the 380 as a transport....I have the 120 and the 240 and i use my 120 with my Chord Hugo and it does indeed sound wonderful but any transport will sound just as good and if there is any difference it is .00001 of difference....I have compared my 240 to my 120 through my Hugo and there is no way I could possibly tell you the difference my ears simply arent that good even if there is some imperceptible difference...I am amazed to read that people buy a 3500 dollar DAP in order to through a Chord Hugo....on the other hand a Vorzuge pure II+ with a 240 is an improvement power wise while using the fine DAC in the 240 and at a modest cost!

I diagree. I have the 240 also and the 380 /Hugo combo sounds better than the 240/ Hugo.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,973 of 9,041
In blind test 4 of 4 listeners could not find any difference between ak100/ak120+hugo vs 240+hugo. (that why I sold the ak240)

I convinced my friend to get an AK380 + a new AK dedicated amp, so next month could post a true opinions. (the trasport test)

I guess the difference could be only in EQ not the sound signature.

But the most interesting is the new AK amp.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,974 of 9,041
  In blind test 4 of 4 listeners could not find any difference between ak100/ak120+hugo vs 240+hugo. (that why I sold the ak240)

I convinced my friend to get an AK380 + a new AK dedicated amp, so next month could post a true opinions. (the trasport test)

I guess the difference could be only in EQ not the sound signature.

But the most interesting is the new AK amp.

Blind test by whom? There is a difference with the AK380, I tried it. I have the amp also. Not much difference with the Laylas as they are quite easier to drive.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #1,979 of 9,041
  There is a difference with the AK380, I tried it.

The difference could be equal to zero or very little. I think to  be sure, a few people must check it.
I talked about EQ difference, the sound signature must be the same. Hugo DAC does all the job.

Again, it was very easy to make my friend to order a new 380 with an amp, he is on the move all the time...
I also told him that there must be a difference, but for him a size is meter.
Actually, I will not believe till we finish the blind test.

But if it will better or equal, there will be one Hugo on sale with special price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back