Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #632 of 767
  I'm an owner of AK120 and a pair of Shure SE846.
But I feel that they do not produce the sound quality I expect them to.
I feel that the soundstage is not big enough, and the bass seems to lack a bit of power.
Searching around on the internet, I learn that changing the earphone leads and buying an amp may be my methods of upgrade.
Can anyone tell me if they really make a big difference......
If so, which option shall I go for first?
And, any suggestions?
happy_face1.gif

Instead of investing more money on a new pair of earphones or buying a portable amp which makes it cumbersome, I recently just bought an upgraded earphone lead for my SE846…….the upgrade in performance is great….I'm so happy to have take this cheaper option (for now)!

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #633 of 767
Here's a radical idea. Sell the expensive IEMs and get some cheapish earbuds, or even headphones if you are OK with wearing things on your head.

Both these options will sound way better than IEMs.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #635 of 767
Here's a radical idea. Sell the expensive IEMs and get some cheapish earbuds, or even headphones if you are OK with wearing things on your head.

Both these options will sound way better than IEMs.

Stop posting while soused.

Must be a leap year. #366: To post on Head-Fi.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #639 of 767
Feedback and Strange Q:

I just received my new AK120 and putting through some complex testing in the lab with scopes, impulse, jitter, etc. runs to see how well it performs against some of my meridian explorer, ifi idsd, fiio, iBasso, e12diy and other portable hifi stuff. 

So  far I'm finding some VERY interesting results around what ProEQ, the Line Out option does and how the internal circuitry handles conversion when it comes to their filters and SW switches internally with the dual WM8740s...more on that later with screen clips from the lab scopes.

In the meantime in my past 24h with the stock ak120, all I can say is that I'm very impressed thus far!  Been using SE535 reds, SE846s and beyer t51p's.

Question:
I notice in Win8.1 x64 that the drivers install normally and I get DAC options up to 16/192 or 24/96 as advertised, however...should one expect to get USB -> AK120 -> headphone out / line out audio when using the 120 as DAC? ...or is it just supposed to be a USB -> COAX SPDIF DAC?  Most other devices even will spit out analog (or in the meridian or ifi case analog HO and digital).

Haven't had time to hook up a SPDIF COAX converter to see if it's just piping out digital only when in USB DAC mode.

What have others experienced with the AK120?  Thanks all! :)

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #640 of 767
guys

How to connect Micro iDSD to AK120? Because i want use Micro iDSD as AMP/DAC

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #641 of 767
USB OTG support would be required in the firmware of the AK120.  I've not tried this pairing yet.

What are you trying to accomplish?  DSD direct decoding via the iDSD?  If so, the not only would the AK need to support OTG audio, but it would also have to bypass the internal DSD -> PCM conversion inside the AK and pass it direct to the iFi.

If you're not trying to pair these via USB, then you'd want to use the AK120 COAX SPDIF out into another amp/dac...however the iDSD only has an optical digital-in...so that wouldn't work either.

Would be curious if someone here found a workaround to make work via USB.  I'm actually much more pleased with the amp/dac implementation of the AK vs. the iDSD.  The iFi isn't a bad product, but for CEIMs there's way too much amp hiss for my taste.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #642 of 767
correction...I meant :

"If you're not trying to pair these via USB, then you'd want to use the AK120 COAX SPDIF out into another amp/dac...however the iDSD only has an optical digital-OUT...so that wouldn't work either."

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #643 of 767
This is my first posting in this site. I got my AK120 yesterday and have been listening it non-stop via Shure SE425. It runs AKG K271 very well too. So far, no complain, only pleasure.

This is just introducing myself. I will visit this thread often from now :) 

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #644 of 767
So here is one that has happened a few times. I turn on my AK120 but it is on a totally different song. Then i go back to the file that i was listening to and open it. All that is there is the brackets with two dots, no songs. So i turn it on and of once or twice, without luck. Then i go to computer and open it up in the computer as a disc and there are the songs. Dismount and look for the songs in the files of the AK and not there. The only way to retrieve is basically delete the songs from the disc/sd card on the computer then reload them. Not a huge deal and love the player but it has happened a handful of times in the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back