Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #3,361 of 4,070
Try going to roon settings and arc. Make sure it is reachable. Roon recently changed the core to a server and there have been some issues. Mine has been pretty rock solid.
So does Roon ARC actually work on the SP3000? Bitperfect, so without the Android upsampling? Not sure it is even relevant for me, since I typically use the SP3000 at home, but for the odd occasion it would be nice to have.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #3,362 of 4,070
When I read these things after the release of an update, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
my SP3000 sounds exactly the same, therefore fantastic even after the latest update.
No one said it doesn't sound fantastic bud,we are just making conversation here and sharing opinions.As far as the laughing goes most people would laugh at us for spending that much on a dap when they can get their iphone to play music with great sound and they would certainly be laughing at you for spending several thousands on cables,alot of people here on the forum too.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #3,363 of 4,070
No one said it doesn't sound fantastic bud,we are just making conversation here and sharing opinions.As far as the laughing goes most people would laugh at us for spending that much on a dap when they can get their iphone to play music with great sound and they would certainly be laughing at you for spending several thousands on cables,alot of people here on the forum too.
Official A&K updates do not change the SQ of their Daps.
Then, if you and other people have the sensation of hearing sound changes, this is your opinion which is not supported by the parent company, namely Astell&Kern.
I don't see any valid reason why A&K should go and change the sound parameters of their Daps.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #3,364 of 4,070
So does Roon ARC actually work on the SP3000? Bitperfect, so without the Android upsampling? Not sure it is even relevant for me, since I typically use the SP3000 at home, but for the odd occasion it would be nice to have.
It works great. Not bit perfect though, unless you use a USB DAC/amp. Hopefully still in the works by the Roon team.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #3,365 of 4,070
Did you try restarting your Roon Core? I have this problem a lot on my Samsung S23 Ultra with Roon Arc. Sometimes a core reboot works, sometimes it just randomly starts working again a day or two later. Doesn't matter if I am on mobile or on the same wifi network.
Got it working this morning with version 1.0.40 of Roon Arc. Weird. Perhaps there were authentication issues at Roon.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #3,366 of 4,070
It works great. Not bit perfect though, unless you use a USB DAC/amp. Hopefully still in the works by the Roon team.
OK thanks, that’s what I thought. I won’t bother then, or use the phone indeed.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #3,367 of 4,070
OK thanks, that’s what I thought. I won’t bother then, or use the phone indeed.
Well worth bothering- sounds really good :wink:

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3,369 of 4,070
Here’s the thing though. I presume AK could change the sound if they wished but why do it and not tell the customer?
Therefore it’s highly unlikely that the sound has changed yet some of the comments about the differences are difficult not to smile at. Which is a little unkind but really why would they?
Hey if AK offered a reversible flash update to change the sound of the dac by X differences I would sign up for it to experiment but they don’t or haven’t.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3,370 of 4,070
I don't understand all this fuss about whether firmware updates can lead to a change in sound. First of all, I think it's wrong and inappropriate to make fun of someone for asking this question or to malign them in any way. It is a legitimate question. Twister6 has also written about this. So it may well be that the sound has changed. Do I have to be honest? I had that impression too, but it could just be my imagination. Perhaps @JasonNYC can enlighten us?

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #3,371 of 4,070
I don't understand all this fuss about whether firmware updates can lead to a change in sound. First of all, I think it's wrong and inappropriate to make fun of someone for asking this question or to malign them in any way. It is a legitimate question. Twister6 has also written about this. So it may well be that the sound has changed. Do I have to be honest? I had that impression too, but it could just be my imagination. Perhaps @JasonNYC can enlighten us?

The bottom line is that it's absolutely possible to change sound with updates, given the multiple processing libraries that can be used or modified in Android. But, A&K has said that they don't do that, at least not intentionally.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3,372 of 4,070
This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many times in every AK thread every time a new firmware version comes out. AK does not make changes to the sound profile when releasing new firmware updates. If there are any sound changes that AK makes, it is done in the form of a new EQ preset that will appear from time to time with new firmware updates like the Pro EQ setting in previous players or headphone/IEM specific EQ profiles for collab projects.

Personally, I don't understand how any manufacturer could/would change the sound on owners after they purchased for a specific sound profile. While it certainly can be done and I assume has been done by others, just doesn't seem right.

I'm sure this discussion will come up again when the next firmware update is released next week for the SP3000.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #3,373 of 4,070
If you feel that the sound changes with firmware updates and AK clearly states that they don't implement any sound change with FW updates, then we have 3 options:
  1. You hear what you want to hear
  2. People at AK are lying
  3. People at AK cannot tune their devices
I strongly lean towards option 1.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #3,374 of 4,070
This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many times in every AK thread every time a new firmware version comes out. AK does not make changes to the sound profile when releasing new firmware updates. If there are any sound changes that AK makes, it is done in the form of a new EQ preset that will appear from time to time with new firmware updates like the Pro EQ setting in previous players or headphone/IEM specific EQ profiles for collab projects.

Personally, I don't understand how any manufacturer could/would change the sound on owners after they purchased for a specific sound profile. While it certainly can be done and I assume has been done by others, just doesn't seem right.

I'm sure this discussion will come up again when the next firmware update is released next week for the SP3000.
Thank you very much for the clarification. That makes perfect sense!

If you feel that the sound changes with firmware updates and AK clearly states that they don't implement any sound change with FW updates, then we have 3 options:
  1. You hear what you want to hear
  2. People at AK are lying
  3. People at AK cannot tune their devices
I strongly lean towards option 1.
4. Sometimes you're in a good mood or not in the mood for the music and everything sounds good / bad or better / worse . Coincidentally, this happens on one day of an update and you imagine something. That often happens to me.

In my case, I'm guessing 4.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #3,375 of 4,070

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back