Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3,377 of 4,076
@JasonNYC
A big thank you for your support and patience! 🙏🏻 I know we're not easy most of the time and I'm sure we annoy you a lot :) :deadhorse:. I thought it was the right thing to say.
Appreciate the kind words. I am here to answer questions, no matter how silly someone may feel it is. I don't take anything personally. We are all passionate about music. Everyone at AK also appreciates everyone asking questions, giving feedback and keeping us on our toes.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 7, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,378 of 4,076
This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many times in every AK thread every time a new firmware version comes out. AK does not make changes to the sound profile when releasing new firmware updates. If there are any sound changes that AK makes, it is done in the form of a new EQ preset that will appear from time to time with new firmware updates like the Pro EQ setting in previous players or headphone/IEM specific EQ profiles for collab projects.

Personally, I don't understand how any manufacturer could/would change the sound on owners after they purchased for a specific sound profile. While it certainly can be done and I assume has been done by others, just doesn't seem right.

I'm sure this discussion will come up again when the next firmware update is released next week for the SP3000.
@JasonNYC thanks for rolling the same stone up the same hill... again

1701982919223.png

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #3,379 of 4,076
The bottom line is that it's absolutely possible to change sound with updates, given the multiple processing libraries that can be used or modified in Android. But, A&K has said that they don't do that, at least not intentionally.
Exactly this! It’s unintentional.
The fact that the sound keeps improving, means it is strictly related to system stabilization. as the machine performs better, the processes are more efficient, then it must also produce a better sound.

A neat trick I recently discovered is to convert any 24bit files to WMA lossless, the wheel will turn blue, meaning it's treating the file as DXD

Anyway, for anyone who wants to experiment with firmwares, here's a link. https://we.tl/t-AGoA6uyEcu?utm_camp...urce=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&trk=TRN_TDL_05

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3,380 of 4,076
Thank you very much for the clarification. That makes perfect sense!

4. Sometimes you're in a good mood or not in the mood for the music and everything sounds good / bad or better / worse . Coincidentally, this happens on one day of an update and you imagine something. That often happens to me.

In my case, I'm guessing 4.
Which overlaps with no1 :)

Exactly this! It’s unintentional.
The fact that the sound keeps improving, means it is strictly related to system stabilization. as the machine performs better, the processes are more efficient, then it must also produce a better sound.

A neat trick I recently discovered is to convert any 24bit files to WMA lossless, the wheel will turn blue, meaning it's treating the file as DXD

Anyway, for anyone who wants to experiment with firmwares, here's a link. https://we.tl/t-AGoA6uyEcu?utm_camp...urce=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&trk=TRN_TDL_05
I'm a bit puzzled...

So you are implying that they don't test for sound when they update a firmware? Does it mean that they don't even test with the first release or when they launch a new product? Do you honestly think that for a company like AK (or any other respected hifi brand) ANY change in sound can be uniuntentional? If so, we are all buying random products because they are the result of chaos and of "unintentional" processes.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #3,382 of 4,076
Within a tolerable spectrum they might go unnoticed
To them, but not to actual user? C’mon mate…

I would hope they measure everything AND they have people with superhuman hearing there. Otherwise they’re in the wrong industry.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #3,385 of 4,076
@JasonNYC thanks for rolling the same stone up the same hill... again

1701982919223.png
In my experience, I have noticed that the sound can vary with the SP1k and SP2k depending on the firmware. However, with the SP3k, I no longer have any concerns about this issue. One possible cause for this variation could be the Digital Filter. Updating the firmware might reset it to the default filter of AKM, resulting in a slightly decreased micro detail and a more ringing impulse response. Therefore, it is important to check and choose the appropriate filter after updating the firmware.

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #3,386 of 4,076
In my experience, I have noticed that the sound can vary with the SP1k and SP2k depending on the firmware. However, with the SP3k, I no longer have any concerns about this issue. One possible cause for this variation could be the Digital Filter. Updating the firmware might reset it to the default filter of AKM, resulting in a slightly decreased micro detail and a more ringing impulse response. Therefore, it is important to check and choose the appropriate filter after updating the firmware.
Of course, this goes without saying for me. Also, no dar, no eq, no crossfeed, in my case 3.5mm unbalanced output.

Anyways, let me just say one final thing and I’ll stop posting for awhile. I’m no casual listener, I am very obsessed by the tiny details of sound reproduction, i am also a sound engineer, believe it or not, I am trained to spot differences in dithering algorithms. I have waited at least a week before posting my impression, just to allow my brain to process the new sound and being able to describe it, which I haven’t really done that clearly to be honest.

I use this forum to read about useful things and I am a bit disappointed when instead I can only find arguments between people that contributes to nothing. I have shared my feelings and thoughts. Thank you

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #3,387 of 4,076
Does the SP-3000 have enough power to drive a Focal Utopia Gen 3?
Listening to my SP3K + Focal Utopia 2022 while I type. This is a match made in heaven. Yes, there is more than enough power available. I'm listening plenty loud on 80/150.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #3,388 of 4,076
Of course, this goes without saying for me. Also, no dar, no eq, no crossfeed, in my case 3.5mm unbalanced output.

Anyways, let me just say one final thing and I’ll stop posting for awhile. I’m no casual listener, I am very obsessed by the tiny details of sound reproduction, i am also a sound engineer, believe it or not, I am trained to spot differences in dithering algorithms. I have waited at least a week before posting my impression, just to allow my brain to process the new sound and being able to describe it, which I haven’t really done that clearly to be honest.

I use this forum to read about useful things and I am a bit disappointed when instead I can only find arguments between people that contributes to nothing. I have shared my feelings and thoughts. Thank you
DAR have its effects, It can sound good with CD source quality.
Other option I always turn off.

In SP2000 thread I have write to share about the digital filter sound signature. And with me, it cause lots of trouble because every filter give different sound signature and nothings is perfects. People with less experience can go crayzy when clarify because some filter only differ on very lowlevel scale of dyanmic and time resolution.
My friend with 1 years passive ear training with SP3000, Dream Duet and DesTi now using LP6 Pro Ti99 with Dream Duet and JVC FW10000 and he can identify the signature of each digital filter on that Item. Hence, I think it is not impossible.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #3,389 of 4,076
With SP2000, I can easily discern all AK4499EQ chip filters. What I tend to lean on now is Low Dispersion Apodizing (or Acoustic Tone filter). It prevents excess pre and post ringing, leading to more emphasis on the macrotexture of instruments and doesn't suck out treble extension that Super slow roll-off filter does

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #3,390 of 4,076
With SP2000, I can easily discern all AK4499EQ chip filters. What I tend to lean on now is Low Dispersion Apodizing (or Acoustic Tone filter). It prevents excess pre and post ringing, leading to more emphasis on the macrotexture of instruments and doesn't suck out treble extension that Super slow roll-off filter does
May I ask how you look for the differences? Which song passage etc.? Honestly, I own SP3000 for a year now and never touched the DAC settings as I was never able to tell a difference between modes in other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back