Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #3,406 of 4,067
1702291738832.png
I think using the Filter name base on AKM specification can be more consistent. I will explain parameter base on my listening experience, hope that it can help.
The problem that the digital filter change some sound signature in time/frequency domain, as the result you can still hear this sound content but it is slightly different.
The Sound type and Remark from the AKM, IMO that does not give much useful information.
  • First the Edge, which indicate how fast the filter alter the impulse response of the content. The Super Slow Roll-off provide utral-sharp edge which make the transient nearly immediately.
    • When the Edge is sharp
      • It benefit the percussion such as drum, cymbal, guitar(metal wrire). When the response is fast, you will hear how fast the strike and impact/momentum of its (force/momentum) of ( string plug, or piano hammer striking) at both macro and micro level. Micro dynamic level is more important (IMO), it can resolve the dynamic, strike, texture of even the quite drum on the orchestra.
      • For string family like violin, fast impulse response give the impression of clearer leading edge, note start/stop and bow impact changes.
    • When the edge is round, the impulse response is slow.
      • It give the impression of softer attach on percussion. You can increase volume to increase SPL but never reach the feeling of impact.
      • For string like violin or vocal: you can still hear the content but it will be blur and lack of pull in/out dynamic.
  • Secondly, Impulse: from the visual image of IR you can get some information.
    • Post/pre echo/ringing. Theoretically, no ringing ensure the perfection reproduction of sound. Superslow row off have this characteristic, however, it might be too sharp.
      • both post/pre ringing cause the sound to be bluring and add distortion. It make the sound less clean on sound object border and start/stop of note.
      • Ringing can make the sound more pleasant, when the system is too hard - interm of sound signature.
      • For comparison with image, ringing will make the sound image bluring, loss sharpness.
      • It is very werid ont the description on Short Delay Sharp Roll-off and Sharp Roll-off. They claim that the two enhance the bass, make it powerfull. But IMO, the two filter have inferior bass performance in quality aspect such as attach, impact, texture. I can understand their complain, when ringing the sound will linger and might give more SPL sustain which can make the impression off um um um.
If you don't clarify the sound of them, just choose one and your brain will take adapt to the sound signature. But choose 1 that best suite for you might be the hard part because no filter is perfect. Even some filter that bad at performance like the sharp short delay sharp roll-off have better performance at low pass filter as the cutting slope is fast.

I'm happy with 2 Slow Roll-off and Super Slow roll-off.
  • Super Slow Roll Off give the best micro transient, tiny/quite instrumental will have its impact. But it give me the impression of timber of instrumental is note organic.
  • Slow Roll Off have middle value in Edge but it have symmetric in impulse response. It give the best organic, natural timber of instrumental.
  • Short delay Sharp Roll Off as I remember is the default filter. It make sound thick and narrow sound stage and blurring the micro detail in the ambience.

Thanks for the super detailed post! IEMs and cables also affect the filter choices too, but yes the filter choices you selected are definitely really great! For analytical/highly resolving cables with elevated punch and impact, I find those two filters (Super Slow and Linear Phase Slow) work well and IMHO the "Low Dispersion" aka Apodizing filter is in-between these two filters through listening thus work extremely well too. I just avoid sharp roll offs unless your IEM cables do not emphasize excessive ringing on the note edges

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #3,407 of 4,067
I tried the filters on my full size cans with same results. Maybe it’s my old ears. :) Thanks for the reply.
As for the gear, you can try Crystal/Siltech cable with your gear, it might give more accuracy in time domain presentation. I have tried all the senhesier line up, Focal Clear OG and some others and for dynamic fullsize cans, they can give great punch, sound pressure but they tend to be slow in impulse response. HD8xx line affected from internal housing resonance then it is hard to get clean sound.

It is the fact that human ears tend to degrade over time, but IMO it is still good to listen to good music.
Some famous conductors still continue to work and guide the young generation when their hair turns fully white :).
As I have said, it is no problem to not detect the difference, you can still enjoy the music. Balancing between try hard/enjoy mode, enjoy the music :)

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #3,408 of 4,067
Thanks for the super detailed post! IEMs and cables also affect the filter choices too, but yes the filter choices you selected are definitely really great! For analytical/highly resolving cables with elevated punch and impact, I find those two filters (Super Slow and Linear Phase Slow) work well and IMHO the "Low Dispersion" aka Apodizing filter is in-between these two filters through listening thus work extremely well too. I just avoid sharp roll offs unless your IEM cables do not emphasize excessive ringing on the note edges
Can I have a look at the IR of
"Low Dispersion" aka Apodizing filter
To-day, I have just talked with my friend who has P6 Pro Ti99 and he say that the difference between filter in P6 pro is more noticeable than SP3000.

I understand your comment about when cable and IEMS can affect filter choices.
But IMO, the greater detail resolution (time, micro detail) the easier you will be to clarify the changes. With my exp, pure silver with mono crystal is the best.
  • Cooper cables tend to have smoother, thicker sound and blur the attach, micro transient.
  • Pure silver tends to give greater fast, resolute and dynamic/momentum of sound. It can give better pitch, ryhm widen the perception of fast/slow tempo, highlight the pace(silent) time between notes.
  • Silver/gold alloy tend to reduce treble extension and give more intensive impact on low treble/high mid-range with short sustain off low frequency band.
  • Gold plated silver tends to smoother and lower treble extension response, treble speed might reduce than pure silver counterpart.
For IEM, there are some aspects that affect the perception
  • Response: which can be measured by square way response. A accurate square way response is perfect in theory, but hardly found in real word.
  • Pre/post ringigng: It can be related with counterpart characteristic of digital filter, but it is in electronical/physical. A dynamic driver is the most outstanding example, because it often gives much post ringing, which causes decay phases longer.
So, Imagine a set up with Cooper cable and a slow dynamic, long decay one. This combination is bad in time domain resolution then it is very hard for people to detect the changes even how much they concentrate.
  • If they use sharp roll off, the artifact pre/post ringing from digital filter even make the situation worse.
  • Even if they use the Super-slow roll-off which indicates imidiate impulse response, it still is limited by the next device in the chain (cable, IEM). The final response is blocked by the IEM and the final result is still a slow attach, long decay sound.
  • If they use better cables, they can improve the final responsiveness of the system. But if they do it perfectly in the cable, it is still block by slow dynamic driver.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #3,409 of 4,067
@JasonNYC could you please be so kind and ask your colleagues if we can use the Apple Classical streaming app on the SP3000 anytime soon? That would be great. Thanks!

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,410 of 4,067
A new firmware has just popped up on my SP3K, version 1.31. I’m going to jump in and update the player.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #3,411 of 4,067
A new firmware has just popped up on my SP3K, version 1.31. I’m going to jump in and update the player.
Tidal (sideloaded) still is resampling to 48k 16bit according to the LED. Does anyone notice an improvement?

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #3,412 of 4,067
For those who use the 3.5mm grounding (eg Crystal EP http://kojo-seiko.co.jp/products/crystalep.html), do take note the new firmware 1.30 will cause it not to function.
@JasonNYC is this a bug?

At v1.20, I can plug in the grounding at 3.5mm followed by the 4.4mm with no problem.
This firmware was to resolve this…….,,

Jason said.
@kel77 This will be fixed in the next SP3000 firmware update expected around December 12.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #3,413 of 4,067
Tidal (sideloaded) still is resampling to 48k 16bit according to the LED. Does anyone notice an improvement?
This firmware was to resolve this…….,,

Jason said.
@kel77 This will be fixed in the next SP3000 firmware update expected around December 12.
@JasonNYC

Thanks for the update, however, Tidal is still not bit perfect.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #3,414 of 4,067
OT
I'm selling my A&K SE300, with its original case.
The DAP has always been used with great care and it's in perfect condition.
Great price .
Anyone interested write me a PM.
Thank you

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3,415 of 4,067
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #3,416 of 4,067
IMG_8850.jpeg

Enjoying a winter morning. Astell&Kern SP3000 and Kublai Khan.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #3,417 of 4,067
Trying to update to the new firmware 1.31 from 1.30, the download update(over wifi) stops about halfway through and then it reboots without updating. It then gives the same message about new firmware for downloading again. Have tried going to the system rest but the buttons are grayed out and don't respond. Never had a problem before like this (also own a SR25).
Can any one help?
Thanks in advance.

**update** Problem resolved. I don't know why, but, when I disconnected my sp3000 from its charging source and attempted the update again it worked fine. I have always updated my units while they were plugged in to a power source before. Is this some sort of new feature?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #3,419 of 4,067

Users who are viewing this thread

Back