Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #3,436 of 3,998
This is just bla bla bla, this forum is like a circule is redundant , things are great then not so great and then are almost bad, i think that some people are losing the sense of what is good or bad sound, or losing their hearing, i have the sp3000ss black and is not thin or lacking power ,is a natural , the mids are great and the stage is with some songs mindblowing, together with my previous 1zm2 (that some psychics in this forum now says that the 1z og is better....the lie of the year) are the best players i heard, period.
The perception often varies due to many factors: music genre, personal preference, and the equipment in the audio chain (cable, IEMS). In my opinion, the SP3000 sounds fuller than the SP2000 when used with my cable and IEMS, creating a more natural sound to my ears. However, when paired with other IEMS such as Tia Forte or FW10000, the combo tends to produce a brighter sound, which is attributed to the characteristics of the IEMS.

I have compared the 1z and 1zm2. The tuning of the 1zm2 seems too thick and unnatural, while it offers a quite large soundstage but not a significant upgrade from the previous version. Although it uses open Android with the latest version and Google Play services, which is a promising sign, the hardware is too slow to handle the operating system and the services are not clean up, like some Chinese brands, which affects the performance.

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #3,437 of 3,998
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #3,438 of 3,998
I find M9+ quite laggy from the android UI, UX.
A slow and laggy UI is such a deal-breaker for me, which is why I always kept myself away from Android-based daps. One of the reasons I have always adored LPGT is the minimal UI on it - no slowness or lag at all, even if you are browsing a 1TB card on it. Thanks to the minimal Android implementation on the SP3000, there is absolutely no lag in using Tidal and Apple Music on it. This sleek UI definitely takes the listening experience to another level.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #3,439 of 3,998
This is just bla bla bla, this forum is like a circule is redundant , things are great then not so great and then are almost bad, i think that some people are losing the sense of what is good or bad sound, or losing their hearing, i have the sp3000ss black and is not thin or lacking power ,is a natural , the mids are great and the stage is with some songs mindblowing, together with my previous 1zm2 (that some psychics in this forum now says that the 1z og is better....the lie of the year) are the best players i heard, period.

I'm not that hard in my verdict but, by coincidence, I had pretty similar thoughts today when thinking about my "audio year" 2023. I made some decisions and changed my whole gear moving to the things I now own in my sig.

Each and every thing of this list was once praised to heaven and then moved to commodity or even to old stuff. Really, It's worse than smart phones nowadays 😆

My personal bottom line after reading through thousands of pages here and on other sites is that we are in a 1st world niche, where it always has to be the latest and greatest or at least something new. Even if It's not really better. Everybody has their own taste and, of course, only the personal taste is the correct one. Then everybody "defends" their purchases. The more expensive, the heavier the "fight". And I'm not even starting with psycho-accoustics. Something you are spared with with other hobbies....

Now with a little experience in this hobby, I decided not to take every heated conversation and personal clue as important. I will not make many friends here with this, but: what really helps me getting grounded, is reading in audiosciencereview. People there seem to be highly educated and calm (not all, of course). I learned a lot there regarding what we think to hear and what we probably really hear and are able to reproduce in a blind test.

A slow and laggy UI is such a deal-breaker for me, which is why I always kept myself away from Android-based daps. One of the reasons I have always adored LPGT is the minimal UI on it - no slowness or lag at all, even if you are browsing a 1TB card on it. Thanks to the minimal Android implementation on the SP3000, there is absolutely no lag in using Tidal and Apple Music on it. This sleek UI definitely takes the listening experience to another level.

I really love the SP3000 but my only gripe is visual performance when something moves on screen. Now that Apple has animated album art (btw. imho much better implemented and regulated than Spotify), I wished for a better performance because these animations are lagging a little. In direct comparison to an iPhone they are lagging heavily.

But other than that UI performance is top notch. For local files anyways and other than album art with streaming services, as well.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #3,440 of 3,998
I really don't see any reason for you to act like this. I merely expressed my opinion and you decide what you want to do with it. Actually, I didn't even do that spontaneously, but only because two headfiers asked me. I wasn't going to explain myself why I wanted to sell the SP3000. The fact that you are obviously so enthusiastic about the SP3000 is up to you. But let me tell you that the SP3000 is not the absolute endgame you want it to be. There will always be something better. That's a fact, that's the progress we're all so into. Now if you want to lie to yourself and believe that there won't be anything better, that's up to you. All I ask is that you show respect for what is written here in the forum.

I have tried M9+, Although same DAC chip as specification they sound totally different even in totality and presentation.

I find M9+ quite laggy from the android UI, UX.
  • The android mode sound lack of density and depth but quite extend in width.
  • The prime mode have better dynamic and depth but less extension in width.
  • Not so good at micro detail and instrumental placement.
  • Gain is not useful when paring with IEMS, headphone is more suitable usecase.
  • After installing Hiby music app, I found that it sound different than original shanling app. More extension and micro detail, but some show still quite slow, and increase the impulse response make the sound cleaner.
Using SP3000, M9+ is quite disappointed for me for build and sound quality.
The positive thing is only the power, it can provide more power with gain to handle headphone use case.
I'm sorry, but I really have to speak out here: maybe it's due to a later firmware, but the UI is lightning fast - no lag, no shutter, nothing... everything runs smoothly and even the internet connection is more stable with Apple Music.

As an absolute lover of the soundstage, I also have to say that the M9+ is, on the contrary, deeper and wider. Again: maybe it's the firmware.

Otherwise, yes, micro details are better on the SP3000, but the M9+ has more air, so also better instrumental placement.

Gain is very helpful, as the sound becomes stronger. I don't know what your problem was here.

See above.

Despite all my criticism, I'm strongly leaning towards keeping the SP3000 and returning the M9+, just by the way...

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #3,441 of 3,998
The perception often varies due to many factors: music genre, personal preference, and the equipment in the audio chain (cable, IEMS). In my opinion, the SP3000 sounds fuller than the SP2000 when used with my cable and IEMS, creating a more natural sound to my ears. However, when paired with other IEMS such as Tia Forte or FW10000, the combo tends to produce a brighter sound, which is attributed to the characteristics of the IEMS.

I have compared the 1z and 1zm2. The tuning of the 1zm2 seems too thick and unnatural, while it offers a quite large soundstage but not a significant upgrade from the previous version. Although it uses open Android with the latest version and Google Play services, which is a promising sign, the hardware is too slow to handle the operating system and the services are not clean up, like some Chinese brands, which affects the performance.
Dont know what you mean with unnatural, really dont know, maybe we have diferent notions of what natural is

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,445 of 3,998
I'm by no means saying that the SP3K sounds bad. I love A&K and have been using AK DAPs exclusively for maybe ten years now. Just saying it sounds quite a bit better when amped.

There's an obvious tradeoff associated with size/weight/battery life and perhaps blackness of the background, if A&K were to stick a bigger amp in there. I'll leave it up to them to determine whether or not there'd be a large enough market for a larger, heavier, better-performing device.

For now I'm quite content using my SP3K with my portable amps, as most of my listening is stationary anyway. When I go someplace without my amps, I'll take my Rn6 or Xe6 because they experience less of a relative benefit when amped.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #3,446 of 3,998
I hope someone can help me? After installing the latest firmware on my SP3000 I’m getting error messages when switching (or starting) Qobuz. The messages ‘error. Unable to complete the operation’ pops up and disappear.
I’ve reinstalled the Qobuz app but this has not solved the issue. Any idea’s?

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,447 of 3,998
I hope someone can help me? After installing the latest firmware on my SP3000 I’m getting error messages when switching (or starting) Qobuz. The messages ‘error. Unable to complete the operation’ pops up and disappear.
I’ve reinstalled the Qobuz app but this has not solved the issue. Any idea’s?
You need to use latest version of apk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back