Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #706 of 4,129
Received it today and I really like the design, even though it's heavier and bulkier now. The new packing was somehow strange as you could barely open it. Don't know if I was also supposed to cut the box below instead of just removing the sticker. What I still don't understand is why a 4300€ player in black doesn't include a case in black. Instead you have to buy it for 200€ or any other overpriced aftermarket case. I mean some people may like green, but others don't. Even brown was a more compatible choice in my opinion. Too bad that cheap TPU case from AliExpress isn't available or I simply didn't find it. If someone can recommend a good alternative or a cheap option to buy the black case in the EU, let me know please.

Anyway...looking forward to check out the sound performance in the next days.

UI speed and design definitely improved and I also like how many apps you can simply install now via the settings.
Just FYI, the guy who is running a store on Taobao (AliExpress is just its tiny branch of International version) confirmed that it's still under development. Need to confirm the dimension details before launching SP3000 TPU case.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #707 of 4,129
no, this is not about have or don't have the device but common sense... and is your top part where 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4 covered? if is not then high chance is not pre applied.. most open boxing from china is not pre applied, if yours is then you are really lucky...
This is the most unhelpful conversation that I’ve had. Thanks anyway.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #708 of 4,129
Just FYI, the guy who is running a store on Taobao (AliExpress is just its tiny branch of International version) confirmed that it's still under development. Need to confirm the dimension details before launching SP3000 TPU case.
That's great news, thanks! So you need to purchase it over that platform once it's available? I couldn't find the cases for the older players on AliExpress anymore. Or they are not available for shipping to EU/DE?

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #709 of 4,129
That's great news, thanks! So you need to purchase it over that platform once it's available? I couldn't find the cases for the older players on AliExpress anymore. Or they are not available for shipping to EU/DE?
Oversees shipping and logistics are more expensive in 2022 and is way less demanded than the domestic market. He hasn't decided whether it's a good time to release it on AliExpress, but stay tuned.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #710 of 4,129
swt sounds

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #713 of 4,129
It sorted itself out?
I had to hold it for a long time, anyways going back to topic.

For some reason, I had to hold the power button for much longer than the original 3 to 5 seconds for it to turn on.

This has happened to me only one time thus far. I wonder what that was about.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #714 of 4,129
I'm finding the SP3000 to be a worthwhile upgrade from the SP2000. The soundstage is certainly the most noticeable improvement -- definitely more holographic. I don't know about a blacker background, but I can hear a little more separation, and the low end is better. Though it retains a similar tuning to the SP2000, which is a good thing. I was wondering if it'd be too warm or bass heavy for my tastes, and that's not at all the case. Overall, I'm definitely enjoying my music more. Just a better sense of realism and clarity overall.

The SP2000 is noticeably lighter, though, and of course still sounds fantastic. It doesn't offend my ears after listening to the SP3000. So the tradeoff of some sound quality vs. the lighter weight/smaller size of the SP2000 might be a valid one, even for people who can afford the SP3000.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #715 of 4,129
It should get the collapsible list view like the other AK players in a future firmware update. I had discussed it in detail with the team from Korea when they were in town for CanJam SoCal last month.
Thanks so much for the info, @JasonNYC!

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #717 of 4,129
Here's a bug I noticed. Or if it's not a bug, it's something I'd like to see fixed. On Tidal (using the integrated Tidal service) when I choose an album on the SP2000, it shows me a list of all the tracks. On the SP3000, once you choose the album, you only see the first track. There doesn't seem to be a way to choose an album and then jump directly to a specific track?

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #718 of 4,129
Here's a bug I noticed. Or if it's not a bug, it's something I'd like to see fixed. On Tidal (using the integrated Tidal service) when I choose an album on the SP2000, it shows me a list of all the tracks. On the SP3000, once you choose the album, you only see the first track. There doesn't seem to be a way to choose an album and then jump directly to a specific track?
I noticed that too. There's no way around it as far as I know.... just use the real Tidal app. :)

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #719 of 4,129
no, this is not about have or don't have the device but common sense... and is your top part where 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4 covered? if is not then high chance is not pre applied.. most open boxing from china is not pre applied, if yours is then you are really lucky...
This is not Chinese, it is Korean. Also, if it was so common sense simple, myself and others wouldn't need validation

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #720 of 4,129
Why not just download tidal and not use the integrated tidal? I feel the downloaded tidal is way better than the integrated one.

Not to mention the integrated one cant even play offline songs (or so I think)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back