Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #691 of 4,129
I have a question, I do not really understand the appeal of Roon Arc if it is not playing bit perfect, why not just use tidal direct or roon ready as they are both bit perfect? Why settle for a lesser quality sound? And if the argument is that Roon ARC is portable, why not just use tidal to download all the music where it can be accessed locally?

What am I missing here in terms of understanding appeal of Roon ARC?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #692 of 4,129
not sure why this still being asked (even is not being answered)... you can verify it yourself... is it that important whether is it pre applied?
I applied the provided one in the package. There are bubbles. If there is already applied from the production , I’ll peel off the one that I applied. I couldn’t verify, because I might damage the film (if there is) when trying to verify it. As a matter of fact, I need to ask why it is too hard to get a clear answer from the producer for such an easy question.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #693 of 4,129
I have a question, I do not really understand the appeal of Roon Arc if it is not playing bit perfect, why not just use tidal direct or roon ready as they are both bit perfect? Why settle for a lesser quality sound? And if the argument is that Roon ARC is portable, why not just use tidal to download all the music where it can be accessed locally?

What am I missing here in terms of understanding appeal of Roon ARC?
Roon ARC allows access to your own library remotely its as simple as that, no need to pay a monthly sub for any streaming platforms, so cost saving once Roon is paid for and access to your own library of music anywhere on the planet if you have an internet connection.

Roon does convert everything to 48khz using its own high quality convertor so in theory it is bit perfect at the point the 48Khz audio is sent to the mixer as most/all Android mixers work at 48Khz.

What bugs me with Roon is it even does a 48Khz conversion for android DAPs with mixer bypass so we get a conversion to 48Khz when it isn't needed which is very annoying, Roon really need to sort this out, but I'm sure if they could do it easily they would have done so by now.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #694 of 4,129
I find it quite annoying that I can't use ARC with the SP3K when out and about in hotspot mode with my phone- cant play more than a few tracks.

Otherwise, the ARC app is pretty great as it emulates the Roon app for iOS ie you can actually browse your library on the device itself, rather than having to use another device as a remote.

Hopefully Roon and A&K work around the conversion business sooner, rather than later.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #695 of 4,129
Hey guys,

in the native AK music player app, if I visualise an artist, all albums are "expanded", so I am not able to get an overview of the album catalogue of that particular artist. I have to keep scrolling and scrolling if the discography I own is substantial.

Any way to work around this?

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #696 of 4,129
I'm sure if they could do it easily they would have done so by now.
Technically it is easy to do, but they just are not doing it. The reason could be that they don't want to deal with DAPs, buy and test DAPs (as it is a very small part of Android market) if a specific DAP has an unexpected behaviour. They can also be convinced that their resampling algorithm is good enough that they don't need to implement it, and they might be right about it. In any case, this is by choice. If you look at the Roon forums, there are 2-3 threads related to this topic and I haven't seen any single reply from a Roon representative.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #697 of 4,129
Hey guys,

in the native AK music player app, if I visualise an artist, all albums are "expanded", so I am not able to get an overview of the album catalogue of that particular artist. I have to keep scrolling and scrolling if the discography I own is substantial.

Yes this one annoy me too, if one artist have a lot of albums there will be lot of scrolling. I hope A&K will get this sorted out.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #698 of 4,129

Yes this one annoy me too, if one artist have a lot of albums there will be lot of scrolling. I hope A&K will get this sorted out.
I’m not the only one that is annoyed by this new software quirk!?!?! I have so many artists’ full discography stored on my player, but now I hate scrolling through because each album is expanded to show all the songs below it. The previous software all had the ability to view just the albums, then to expand the contents of the album…hopefully (I know he will!), @JasonNYC will see this and pass it on to the software crew for consideration!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #699 of 4,129
I applied the provided one in the package. There are bubbles. If there is already applied from the production , I’ll peel off the one that I applied. I couldn’t verify, because I might damage the film (if there is) when trying to verify it. As a matter of fact, I need to ask why it is too hard to get a clear answer from the producer for such an easy question.
is easy to determine, the second layer that you applied will not be exactly same as the one that AK applied (if is already pre applied) and no matter how perfect the first layer (pre applied) you can see that there is clearly 1 layer of protector if there is one...

or you can lift a real small corner of the layer that you apply to determine whether is there any first layer, real small corner wont damage the protector...

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #700 of 4,129
Regarding the re asked over and over protection film question, I believe the following to be true:

The bottom, left side, right side, front side are all not protected.

The top side actually has 2 layers of film, the top layer being the surface layer which is not a protection film but more so a plastic cover that is thin, with the bottom layer the same type of film included for you to self apply, essentially meaning the top section is the only section of the DAP that has a pre applied film.

Jason, when convenient, could you please confirm this for everyone?

Appreciate you.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #701 of 4,129
I feel the expanded track list for albums issue comes up with every new AK model. I remember asking for this when the SP2000 (or was it the 1000?) first came out. Should be obvious that albums should be shown in a collapsed view without all the tracks listed.

At any rate, I’ll echo what others said, I really really want to see this implemented in the next firmware, as that’s my primary way of navigating my collection (new UI is pretty, but I find it more efficient to go through a list of artists and albums).

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #702 of 4,129
is easy to determine, the second layer that you applied will not be exactly same as the one that AK applied (if is already pre applied) and no matter how perfect the first layer (pre applied) you can see that there is clearly 1 layer of protector if there is one...

or you can lift a real small corner of the layer that you apply to determine whether is there any first layer, real small corner wont damage the protector...
Do you have this device now ?

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #704 of 4,129
I feel the expanded track list for albums issue comes up with every new AK model. I remember asking for this when the SP2000 (or was it the 1000?) first came out. Should be obvious that albums should be shown in a collapsed view without all the tracks listed.

At any rate, I’ll echo what others said, I really really want to see this implemented in the next firmware, as that’s my primary way of navigating my collection (new UI is pretty, but I find it more efficient to go through a list of artists and albums).
It should get the collapsible list view like the other AK players in a future firmware update. I had discussed it in detail with the team from Korea when they were in town for CanJam SoCal last month.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back