Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #676 of 4,129
Sorry to be redundant, but as I am sure many would be interested to know...

So basically the silver version of the sp3000 has one less coating of material correct? (some may or may not prefer that extra layer of coating)

Do you in any way shape or form feel that the black version will have scratches show up easier when geting potentially nicked and dinged?

Once again sorry to be redundant.
PVD is a durable coating. AK has used it for years on all of the black colored players. All black players like the SP2000 black or even older SP1000 black are all stainless steel with black PVD coating. No issues over the last 5+ years using the same coating and process.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #678 of 4,129
How to access sdcard from the player itself?

AK Drop seems to only have access to internal storage.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #679 of 4,129
Sorry to be redundant, but as I am sure many would be interested to know...

So basically the silver version of the sp3000 has one less coating of material correct? (some may or may not prefer that extra layer of coating)

Do you in any way shape or form feel that the black version will have scratches show up easier when geting potentially nicked and dinged?

Once again sorry to be redundant.

From my experience, the coating layer of Oynx Black is very durable, even using without a leather case, against normal hand touching/sweat. The cooper version is inferior in durability.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #680 of 4,129
Anyone able to use Roon ARC on the go via a mobile hotspot mode? I have only had a single track play back today, seems like a hotspot speed issue?

Have zero issues with ARC on my iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Any input on this from fellow Roon/ARC users?

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #681 of 4,129
Received it today and I really like the design, even though it's heavier and bulkier now. The new packing was somehow strange as you could barely open it. Don't know if I was also supposed to cut the box below instead of just removing the sticker. What I still don't understand is why a 4300€ player in black doesn't include a case in black. Instead you have to buy it for 200€ or any other overpriced aftermarket case. I mean some people may like green, but others don't. Even brown was a more compatible choice in my opinion. Too bad that cheap TPU case from AliExpress isn't available or I simply didn't find it. If someone can recommend a good alternative or a cheap option to buy the black case in the EU, let me know please.

Anyway...looking forward to check out the sound performance in the next days.

UI speed and design definitely improved and I also like how many apps you can simply install now via the settings.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #682 of 4,129
Received it today and I really like the design, even though it's heavier and bulkier now. The new packing was somehow strange as you could barely open it. Don't know if I was also supposed to cut the box below instead of just removing the sticker. What I still don't understand is why a 4300€ player in black doesn't include a case in black. Instead you have to buy it for 200€ or any other overpriced aftermarket case. I mean some people may like green, but others don't. Even brown was a more compatible choice in my opinion. Too bad that cheap TPU case from AliExpress isn't available or I simply didn't find it.

UI speed and design definitely improved and I also like how many apps you can simply install now via the settings.
In my opinion the packaging could have been better for a $3700 expenditure. The internal memory should have stayed at 512 but it is what it is. The most important thing is the sound and A&K pitched a no hitter in that department.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #684 of 4,129
Received it today and I really like the design, even though it's heavier and bulkier now. The new packing was somehow strange as you could barely open it. Don't know if I was also supposed to cut the box below instead of just removing the sticker. What I still don't understand is why a 4300€ player in black doesn't include a case in black. Instead you have to buy it for 200€ or any other overpriced aftermarket case. I mean some people may like green, but others don't. Even brown was a more compatible choice in my opinion. Too bad that cheap TPU case from AliExpress isn't available or I simply didn't find it. If someone can recommend a good alternative or a cheap option to buy the black case in the EU, let me know please.

The box was strange in that it was supposed to open up and the unit raise up. However it was poorly executed with the sticker in that removing the unit was awkward. Possibly the worst packaging AK have done as it offered more than it gave.
I still find Amazon HD won’t play above what it deduces as the SP3000 max bit rate which is Android level only. Cannot override this as far as I can see.
I also ended up having to reformat my 1tb card on the SP3000 itself as like a few others have experienced it just didn’t like the card as formatted in the SP2000.
It does sound good though.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #685 of 4,129
The box was strange in that it was supposed to open up and the unit raise up. However it was poorly executed with the sticker in that removing the unit was awkward. Possibly the worst packaging AK have done as it offered more than it gave.
I still find Amazon HD won’t play above what it deduces as the SP3000 max bit rate which is Android level only. Cannot override this as far as I can see.
I also ended up having to reformat my 1tb card on the SP3000 itself as like a few others have experienced it just didn’t like the card as formatted in the SP2000.
Yeah, the packaging was at the level of a Chinese-made DAP, a pretty big downgrade from the SP2000 unboxing experience.
The fact that memory was cut in half and the price was increased at the same time is also not great.

The "icing" on the cake is the downright useless set of included screen protectors. Clearly just an attempt to tick the box and move on...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #686 of 4,129
Ok, then it simply didn't work that way in my case. I removed the sticker pulled both sides to the opposite direction, but they were stuck at the edges of the inside. Really strange... I don't miss the wooden box though as I put it to the storage anyway.
The screen protector worked for me and I am glad that there are some included already. However I don't see the benefit of one for the back as most users will apply a protective case anyway. Protecting front and back and top is nice, but what about the other sides then? I can't imagine that they are more sturdy and resistant to scratches. Well most annoying for me was the color of the included case. It doesn't look that bad in dimmed light tbh, but I would prefer black, grey or transparent.

@Astell&Kern Imagine how much money you could save by simply adding a transparent chinese TPU case instead of the leather one and it would even show the beauty of the player. Maybe you could even have it equipped with 512gigs when saving money with the case 😂

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #687 of 4,129
Yeah, the packaging was at the level of a Chinese-made DAP, a pretty big downgrade from the SP2000 unboxing experience.
The fact that memory was cut in half and the price was increased at the same time is also not great.

The "cherry" on the cake is the downright useless set of included screen protectors. Clearly just an attempt to tick the box and move on...
I think high end DAP manufacturers could learn from Watch manufacturers in terms of the box and it’s presentation. Grand Seiko, IWC and I guess most others have a pretty standard format tweaked for their in house style. But it’s classy, you get a nice signed warranty card and it works beautifully.

Oct 26, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #688 of 4,129
How are some of y’all putting your SP3K to bed? I’m using one of those Pelican cases that was used for my previously owned SP2K as a resting place.
73BA1C27-C318-445D-8845-E524E53CEB50.jpeg

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #690 of 4,129

The "cherry" on the cake is the downright useless set of included screen protectors. Clearly just an attempt to tick the box and move on...
Totally agree, but I got over it once I got the prize out. It just keeps sounding better the more I use it.
Still waiting for the matching AK-EE Odyssey iems, hopefully another improvement in listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back