Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 22, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #631 of 4,129
The SP3000 sounds sublime with my Obravo Ra 21-C-Cu. Most frequent use case at the moment is playing music through Roon around my flat.

Attachments

• B2F8E4AE-6F76-42AB-8B13-CE6B6D08591F.jpeg
    B2F8E4AE-6F76-42AB-8B13-CE6B6D08591F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #632 of 4,129
I have very few hours of time on my SP3K. I was a huge fan of the SP2K and used it as my reference player for reviews for most of time since its release. With the limited time on the SP3K I can already hear where it excels above the SP2K. Staging, would be one of the areas the SP3K excels. There is a more spacious sound, with clearer definition around notes. While this will be impacted by the music to a degree, it is a more spacious sound. The "blackground" being as dark as it is will positively impact the overall presentation in many areas, from detail retrieval to airiness. The main AK TOTL house signature is most definitely intact.

Worthy upgrade would be very subjective. I do agree with @Damz87 in his ranking of the SP2Kt and the SP2K. As far as a replacement for the SP2K, the SP2Kt was never meant to be a top-tier option.

This is my 8th AK player, and with my limited exposure, it is their pinnacle thus far. But that should be no surprise, it is meant to be their TOTL. My advice, enjoy your 5-month-old SP2K and watch the used boards for an SP3K. At some point, this fickle HF crowd will divorce themselves from their latest bride.

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #633 of 4,129
After spending more time with SP3000 the more I realized how pitch black background can contribute to a very beautiful sound reproduction. Every notes is crystal clear, every layer and details presented in a beautiful way, impressive how it can enhanced the listening experience.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #634 of 4,129
After spending more time with SP3000 the more I realized how pitch black background can contribute to a very beautiful sound reproduction. Every notes is crystal clear, every layer and details presented in a beautiful way, impressive how it can enhanced the listening experience.
As colour is visual and sound is aural I have never understood this expression. The night can be pitch black but what you hear cannot be. It can be silent it can be noisy but not black. You cannot hear pink either.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #635 of 4,129
As colour is visual and sound is aural I have never understood this expression. The night can be pitch black but what you hear cannot be. It can be silent it can be noisy but not black. You cannot hear pink either.

I think you’re taking this a bit too literal.

When we look up into the night sky in a big city, most of the stars are hard to see due to light pollution, right? But when you go into a rural area everything becomes much more visible and you realize just how many stars are above us at any given moment.

The SP3000 does a tremendously good job at getting rid of that light pollution enabling you to “see more” at night.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #636 of 4,129
I mean like a breathing fresh air where there's no pollution.

When we look up into the night sky in a big city, most of the stars are hard to see due to light pollution, right? But when you go into a rural area everything becomes much more visible and you realize just how many stars are above us at any given moment.

The SP3000 does a tremendously good job at getting rid of that light pollution enabling you to “see more” at night.
This reminded me years ago when I visit village in remote area far away from the city where there's very little electricity. The night is so beautiful when its full moon, I spend the night sleeping on the outside enjoying the view, you'll never get the experience if you're in the city.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #637 of 4,129
We also talk about “white noise”, meaning equal noise at all frequencies. Black background seems like a suitable way of expressing the lack of it.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #638 of 4,129

The SP3K definitely allows you to see more of the music.

I had the SP2K and this new iteration is a definite improvement that you can hear.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #639 of 4,129
Is there a way to see total play time?

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #640 of 4,129
Before dumping a whole lot of money on this I am after a few opinions.
I currently listen to music with an iPhone 13 with the Apple dongle, and a pair of shure se846s with the white filters.
Have been thinking about getting a dac to go with this setup.
Is it a massive difference in quality from my current setup (or lack thereof lol) to using a dac, and then going to something like the sp3000?
At the end of the day I know every opinion is going to be subjective, but it’s always good to get some feedback.
Thanks folks.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #641 of 4,129

I think the word then should be clarity. This covers both seeing and hearing so would be more appropriate.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #642 of 4,129

Again that is visual not auditory. I hear more when the background is quiet not black.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #643 of 4,129
We also talk about “white noise”, meaning equal noise at all frequencies. Black background seems like a suitable way of expressing the lack of it.
We do but white noise is based on the idea of white light. The notion that white colour is made up of all colours so white noise is all random frequencies. Black background has always bugged me though. It’s a get out many hi fi journalists seem to use. You cannot measure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back