Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #617 of 4,129
I have to say so far I do somewhat regret purchasing the SP3000. Hopefully it will change will updates.
My main complaints are:
Boot up time in folder view with 1tb sd card is abysmally slow still.
Amazon music seems limited in HD quality to Android level.
Since the update AK File Drop no longer lets me connect.

It sounds wonderful but the above issues are colouring my views of it.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #618 of 4,129
I have to say so far I do somewhat regret purchasing the SP3000. Hopefully it will change will updates.
My main complaints are:
Boot up time in folder view with 1tb sd card is abysmally slow still.
Amazon music seems limited in HD quality to Android level.
Since the update AK File Drop no longer lets me connect.

It sounds wonderful but the above issues are colouring my views of it.
did you update the firmware?

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #619 of 4,129
You are lucky. If you go into folder view can you see both internal and sd cards as quick. Mine takes an absolute age.
I’ve also got a 1TB card but not hugely loaded just yet, that could be one reason for your extra boot time. As dennisgerrard asks above though, it sounds like you may not have done the update yet?

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #620 of 4,129
The latest firmware is 1.08CM

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #621 of 4,129
did you update the firmware?
Yes that’s when my problems with AK drop started. Of course it could be coincidence but ceterus paribus and all that.
I agree the 1tb card is the slow start problem. It was formatted on the SP2000 and start up on that is very fast. The card is 95% full and is the Sandisk extreme pro. I believe someone else had an issue with this card not reading at all.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #622 of 4,129
Yes that’s when my problems with AK drop started. Of course it could be coincidence but ceterus paribus and all that.
I agree the 1tb card is the slow start problem. It was formatted on the SP2000 and start up on that is very fast. The card is 95% full and is the Sandisk extreme pro. I believe someone else had an issue with this card not reading at all.
Maybe try to reduce the sd card stored data to 80% or below, usually almost fully loaded drive is slower.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #625 of 4,129
Understood. Thanks a lot for the reply!
I have very few hours of time on my SP3K. I was a huge fan of the SP2K and used it as my reference player for reviews for most of time since its release. With the limited time on the SP3K I can already hear where it excels above the SP2K. Staging, would be one of the areas the SP3K excels. There is a more spacious sound, with clearer definition around notes. While this will be impacted by the music to a degree, it is a more spacious sound. The "blackground" being as dark as it is will positively impact the overall presentation in many areas, from detail retrieval to airiness. The main AK TOTL house signature is most definitely intact.

Worthy upgrade would be very subjective. I do agree with @Damz87 in his ranking of the SP2Kt and the SP2K. As far as a replacement for the SP2K, the SP2Kt was never meant to be a top-tier option.

This is my 8th AK player, and with my limited exposure, it is their pinnacle thus far. But that should be no surprise, it is meant to be their TOTL. My advice, enjoy your 5-month-old SP2K and watch the used boards for an SP3K. At some point, this fickle HF crowd will divorce themselves from their latest bride.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #626 of 4,129
Which sorts of defeats the object and the AK is supposed to work with 1tb cards, even 2tb cards when available.
The card is FAT32 so it is a puzzle that the SP3000 takes so long yet 512GB fully loaded is fine.

Speed degradation once you fill the SD card beyond 80% is an inherent issue of the flash memory tech. Although I think that would mostly impact write speeds. There is nothing A&K or anybody can do about that. I mean beyond changing the SD card standard itself. It's also a reliability risk to fill up an SD card or SSD.

I would try exFAT. FAT32 really isn't designed for bigger storage. It's outdated and really only used for compatibility reasons. So if you are creating a boot drive or using a very old system you might have to use FAT32 but otherwise there really is no reason to continue using it. In fact if DAPs have problems supporting exFAT then that is an issue the manufacturers should tackle with the highest priority. exFAT will also improve performance.

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #627 of 4,129
Speed degradation once you fill the SD card beyond 80% is an inherent issue of the flash memory tech. Although I think that would mostly impact write speeds. There is nothing A&K or anybody can do about that. I mean beyond changing the SD card standard itself. It's also a reliability risk to fill up an SD card or SSD.

I would try exFAT. FAT32 really isn't designed for bigger storage. It's outdated and really only used for compatibility reasons. So if you are creating a boot drive or using a very old system you might have to use FAT32 but otherwise there really is no reason to continue using it. In fact if DAPs have problems supporting exFAT then that is an issue the manufacturers should tackle with the highest priority. exFAT will also improve performance.
AK recommend FAT32 themselves. Personally I use it for nothing else so that’s on them. I’m not talking write speeds and a full 512gb card works fine. I believe certain 1 tb cards don’t play well with the SP3000. As I play albums I then delete them but load stays the same.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #629 of 4,129
Do we know if any third-party cases? The stock case opening for the outputs is not wide enough.

For my 4.4mm Plug its wide enough 👍

6F226509-080E-4E59-B0C6-C29BA4AFE372.jpeg

23253F16-9257-43D4-B5DC-276CF16AED04.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #630 of 4,129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back