Astell and Kern iRiver High Resolution Player AK100 24/192 !!
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 56
This is an intriguing produce...a bit on the high priced side, but if it can do all it is supposed to do well, could be worth it (getting separate player/portable amp/dac takes up space and costs much). I haven't been able to get the sense from quick browsing if it is able to drive most cans...have many different well known iem's (Westone, Sony, Ety's, more), also recently got Senn 650's. These are the one's I'm wondering if this player would drive well without me missing an amp. I have various Apple players, the HiSound Anniversary 3 Studio (which does drive the Senn's adequately, but I'm always battling the software/UI, not user friendly in my hands), also doesn't handle high-rez, which I have some (though most of my digital music is in Apple of various flavors and regular FLAC). Any thoughts out there? Searching the amp reviews/sales, would this be a good alternative? 
Thanks

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 56
I just got mine and love it! It is very small, light, easy to use, no issue with the volume knob for me. The sound quality is amazing, like nothing I have ever experienced in a portable device. Very clean, transparent , zero noise, sounds as good as it looks!

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 56
Had mine a week now and I love it.
Sound compares favourably with my iPod Classic + Cypher labs DAC and Continental amp.
Plus it plays FLAC and High res files.
Much more sophisticated than Colorfly 4.
Using with Westone 4R and appears to be good match.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 56
The AK100 personal player is a miss-understood product in some respects.  It does not use a conventional headphone IC, but high quality line and buffer amp's after the DAC, meaning the dynmic range is significantly higher and the output (at full volume) is a line level source. So, yes, the AK100 will drive most headphones, but it can also be used in your home audio system from the analogue output with ease, and will sound very good indeed.  It can also be connected through the USB connection to any streamer with a USB input and all the music and data will be read by the streamer.  Using a good Toslink connector into a  good DAC will also give you a great sound.

All this information somewhat goes aginst the reson for this site!  but I think the AK100 is actually a very good value product when used for both headphones 'on the go' and at home as well.

Hope this helps a little.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 56
Just for an update peeps, a new firmware has been released for the AK100 and it now supports ALAC and AAC. This was the ONLY reason that was holding me back from purchasing but now it seems I am sold. This is probably the first machine to literally support any music file format out there.

With ALAC becoming open and all, I'm just thinking that Cowon's next flagship player will support it as well at a much lower price than the AK100 as it will probably trim down with no Wolfson DAC etc but I'm not sure if I can hold back the urge and wait. The biggest reason why I looked into this player is because I want a player other than an iPod that supports ALAC (been waiting and searching for too long before this fella popped up). Then again, according to the iriver website the AK100 can actually double as an external DAC for your PC as it has an optical in so yeah I'm really contemplating. Design looks fabulous and I can live with the small touchscreen. Its not my phone.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #21 of 56
Does the AK100 support mp3HD? 
Quote:
Just for an update peeps, a new firmware has been released for the AK100 and it now supports ALAC and AAC. This was the ONLY reason that was holding me back from purchasing but now it seems I am sold. This is probably the first machine to literally support any music file format out there.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #23 of 56
This thing is so flexible. But nothing is without its flaws.

This one has 20 ohm output impedance - So much for most IEM's and my Denons. 

If their negative rail is built strongly I could build an impedance adapter as described in the link in my sig, but then I doubt I will have enough volume. 

So basically me thinks this is a good portable media transport and DAC. It would work better with an external amp. For low impedance devices, high impedance devices, and especially low efficiency devices.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 56
Buying this and the RX MK-3 would make it a formidable and most probably one of, if not the, TOTL portable rig. 

But thats quite a premium your paying.

I would just pair this with a E12 for starters. But I'd feel like a tool.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #25 of 56
Probably should try looking into the RWAK100....basically a mod to get 1 Ohm output impedance instead of 20....it's done by Red Wine Audio. If I get this thing it's gonna be sent straight to Vinnie.
Quote:
This thing is so flexible. But nothing is without its flaws.

This one has 20 ohm output impedance - So much for most IEM's and my Denons. 

If their negative rail is built strongly I could build an impedance adapter as described in the link in my sig, but then I doubt I will have enough volume. 

So basically me thinks this is a good portable media transport and DAC. It would work better with an external amp. For low impedance devices, high impedance devices, and especially low efficiency devices.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:
Probably should try looking into the RWAK100....basically a mod to get 1 Ohm output impedance instead of 20....it's done by Red Wine Audio. If I get this thing it's gonna be sent straight to Vinnie.

I have a few problems with that.
  • all it is, is shorting out the 2x 22 ohm resisters between the output stage and the HP jack
  • its ridiculously priced for that $100/$250
  • If the resistors didn't have to be there, I see NO logical reason for them to be, iRiver probably put them there for a reason.

No thank you.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 56
this one looks like helluva device with top notch specs, cannot wait for reviews and user impressions. design is amazing, i do not care much about the volume knob which actually looks even a bit highend-ish IMHO. but... as always sound quality is top priority, the rest is literature.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #28 of 56
i am curious if this baby will be able to beat C3+amp combo
deadhorse.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:
i am curious if this baby will be able to beat C3+amp combo
deadhorse.gif

That question is probably better asked in the user AK100 thread rather than the Sponsor thread :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #30 of 56
oh, wow.... i found the most funny review ever talking about this audiophile player......... the reviewer from PCMAG complains about no camera, no wifi, no whatsoever on this player...... haha... did this guy read what this player is about? with the same respect PCMag can complain about PC being unable to wash dishes and make coffee, it's about time...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413076,00.asp

if seriously PCMag did an excellent job here because what matters the most is sound quality and according to his opinion sound quality on this baby is top notch if not the best. will wait for more professional reviews and comparisons. i never would be willing to use mediocre player with mediocre camera and mediocra video... to each his own but in all fearness my Canon DSLR takes much better images and even smaller old Ixus does a better job than any iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back