ASIO4All Explanation
May 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #361 of 479
Good thought! I'll have to open the control panel tonight while I've got foobar up and running to see whether the wave volume or system volume is changing when I move the foobar slider.

May 24, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #362 of 479
I set up winamp as per the guide but I can still change the volume with the "Windows" volume control. Does this mean that Winamp is still using Kmixer?

Great guide by the way...
wink.gif
wink.gif

May 25, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #363 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I set up winamp as per the guide but I can still change the volume with the "Windows" volume control. Does this mean that Winamp is still using Kmixer?

Great guide by the way...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sounds like you've got it setup correctly. The windows volume control should work, but the slider in winamp should be disabled.

Here's some further info on the various options in the Winamp ASIO configuration tab:: Winamp Tweak Guide - TechSpot

May 25, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #364 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you've got it setup correctly. The windows volume control should work, but the slider in winamp should be disabled.

Here's some further info on the various options in the Winamp ASIO configuration tab:: Winamp Tweak Guide - TechSpot

Wah?
confused.gif
On my computer using winamp, the slider in winamp works (changes the volume) but the windows volume does not (you can move it but it does nothing to the volume).

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #366 of 479
Mister Enoyin: I have run into difficulty using asio4all. When I use with j river or cicsplay I ocassionally get pops/crackles that are very loud. At times it has shut down my usb line into my benchmark. When I switched from asio4all to direct sound the pops go away in j river. So any ideas? Sometimes it works for days with no pops then out of nowhere they return. Some have advised me that I should try different asio programs such as asio for usb or asio2K. Should I? Another question can I d/l another asio program and use it without unistalling asio4all? Any other light that you could shed on this would be appreciated.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #367 of 479
Thanks for the guide. I tried running ASIO4ALL with Foobar and get this error message:

Unrecoverable playback error: Device has 10 output channels, expected 8

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #368 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudshark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the guide. I tried running ASIO4ALL with Foobar and get this error message:

it happens to me when my PC doesn't detect my audio device properly. a reboot usually solves the trick.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #369 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted betley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mister Enoyin: I have run into difficulty using asio4all. When I use with j river or cicsplay I ocassionally get pops/crackles that are very loud. At times it has shut down my usb line into my benchmark. When I switched from asio4all to direct sound the pops go away in j river. So any ideas? Sometimes it works for days with no pops then out of nowhere they return. Some have advised me that I should try different asio programs such as asio for usb or asio2K. Should I? Another question can I d/l another asio program and use it without unistalling asio4all? Any other light that you could shed on this would be appreciated.

If you are using a Benchmark DAC1 (which I think you are referring to) there is no need for ASIO according to Elias. Send him a PM for more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any experience using this:
ASIO2KS - Generic ASIO driver for WDM soundcards.
Rather than ASIO4ALL?

Yeah, tried it. It works just fine, but I haven't got a clue whether the project is still alive because it seems dead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudshark /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This might happen for a few reasons. The most important ones are that you have been switching an external device on or off, Windows didn't get why you had to do that so it gives an error or, secondly, your device driver isn't working properly or something went wrong within the OS. (the communication between the device driver and the OS)

Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it happens to me when my PC doesn't detect my audio device properly. a reboot usually solves the trick.

Agreed on the above. A reboot does the trick 9 out of 10 times when facing this problem.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #370 of 479
UPDATE:

Thanks very much to those who responded to Post #367, above. Okay, I think I figured it out. I assigned L & R channels in the Virtual Device Editor's Channel Map and that seems to have solved the problem.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #371 of 479
Enoyin: I reported on an interupt/pop/crackle problem a few weeks ago. Initially thought to be asio4all it was in fact caused by a defective optical usb extender. Question though about the highest sample rate capability of asio4all--is it 24/48 or is it really 24/96 (which I have reason to believe it is)? Reason I believe this is asio4all panel shows sample rates up to 96, player is feeding it 24/96 and everything works and sounds wonderfull. Hopefully you can add some clarity to my observations.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #372 of 479
Just a quick note to say THANK YOU to ENoYin for taking the time to share your knowledge with such detailed yet concise guidance on ASIO and related topics regarding why we might want or need it. As a confirmed techno Luddite who is nevertheless trying to stay abreast of some of the best new developments in digital audio, your post was like a breath of fresh air for me.

Your instructions have allowed me to apparently get ASIO working with Foobar2000 and the USB DAC I bought from another head.fi member. I can hear the difference.

Thanks a bunch ENOyIn!!

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #373 of 479
Hey guys, I am a total newb around here, so I'm seeking your help after searching for solutions to no avail...

I'm having trouble setting up ASIO
1.I use ECHO Indigo DJ soundcard
2.When I go to preferences and then to ASIO Virtual Device Editor, it shows the following:

Indigo dj 1-2 Virtual Ou 1 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 1-2 Virtual Ou 2 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 5-6 Virtual Ou 1 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 5-6 Virtual Ou 2 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 7-8 Virtual Ou 1 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 7-8 Virtual Ou 2 ...... <none>

3. So I changed it to:

Indigo dj 1-2 Virtual Ou 1 ...... Left
Indigo dj 1-2 Virtual Ou 2 ...... Right
Indigo dj 5-6 Virtual Ou 1 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 5-6 Virtual Ou 2 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 7-8 Virtual Ou 1 ...... <none>
Indigo dj 7-8 Virtual Ou 2 ...... <none>

Can anyone guide me..? Aprreciate it

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #375 of 479
I have turtle beach usb sound card/dongle thingy. I think ASIO4ALL worked because my foobar now ignores all changes to the "wave" option in my sound settings (though the volume control still works).

What I'm not sure about is, is it suppose to work in normal windows too? AKA when I am doing other things, the sounds still depend on the "wave" option it seems like. When I am watching something in media player classic "wave" still changes volume.

Furthermore, all other sounds cease to work when I am using foobar generally giving me some sort of error generally saying it cannot find audio output or something.

Any advice would be appreciated. It definitely has helped my foobar tons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back