ASIO4All Explanation
Mar 31, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #331 of 479
Just to report that Corda 2Move works great with ASIO4ALL! And thanks for the guide!

I've tested it with Foobar2000 plugin for bitperfect playback and Synthogy Ivory for midi play back(w/ 128 buffer, virtually no latency) flawlessly.
Haven't compared the playback quality with Itunes though...

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #332 of 479
apparently according to the engineer for the DA-151 DAC -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ke...ml#post3663957
DACs which use PCM2702(like 2move, Cantate, DA-151 & earlier model of Microdac) will not need foobar or winamp plugin to get bit-perfect output under windows as long as the source is 32/44.1/48KHz.

Oh Well, I just spent hours setting up the foobar with my preferred layout, now going back to itunes...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #334 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apparently according to the engineer for the DA-151 DAC -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ke...ml#post3663957
DACs which use PCM2702(like 2move, Cantate, DA-151 & earlier model of Microdac) will not need foobar or winamp plugin to get bit-perfect output under windows as long as the source is 32/44.1/48KHz.

Oh Well, I just spent hours setting up the foobar with my preferred layout, now going back to itunes...
smily_headphones1.gif

Many, maybe most, systems do not need ASIO to output bit perfect. On these systems, ASIO is an insurance, not an absolute neccessity.

If you play 44.1kHz music, and at the same time Windows play some 48kHz sound, then DS will resample your music to 48kHz, destroying bit perfect. With ASIO, DS will not resample the ASIO stream.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #335 of 479
Need some help: I have asio4all installed on Foobar and Winamp
when I go to a web radio stream, WKCR 89.9 FM NY for example, winamp is my default player there. The stream runs fast sounds like chipmunks. Worked fine before the asio install. What am I missing? Should I be able to stream with winamp asio or can I set winamp to its default so asio is used with foobar and not with winamp?

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #336 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you play 44.1kHz music, and at the same time Windows play some 48kHz sound, then DS will resample your music to 48kHz, destroying bit perfect. With ASIO, DS will not resample the ASIO stream.

I see. So when there is some 48kHz sounds playing while I'm listening to 44.1kHz music, everything(including the 44.1 music) will be converted to 48kHz? If so, what happens to the 44.1kHz music immediately after the 48kHz sounds have stopped playing? Is it going to be continuely converted to 48kHz or going back to its native 44.1kHz?

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #337 of 479
Quote:

I see. So when there is some 48kHz sounds playing while I'm listening to 44.1kHz music, everything(including the 44.1 music) will be converted to 48kHz? If so, what happens to the 44.1kHz music immediately after the 48kHz sounds have stopped playing? Is it going to be continuely converted to 48kHz or going back to its native 44.1kHz?

If the sound output has only one DAC chip capable of only one stereo stream, then the computer has to digitally mix together all the sounds into one stream. Resampling everything in the mix to the highest rate in the mix makes sense. I don't know whether Windows would stop resampling when the highest sample rate stream is no longer there.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #338 of 479
Quote:

If the sound output has only one DAC chip capable of only one stereo stream, then the computer has to digitally mix together all the sounds into one stream. Resampling everything in the mix to the highest rate in the mix makes sense. I don't know whether Windows would stop resampling when the highest sample rate stream is no longer there.

Thanks! anyone else can answer this?

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #339 of 479
I think it resamples them all up to whatever the highest one being mixed is at, but kmixer does a poor job of it. ASIO4ALL prevents kmixer from screwing it up, I thought.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #340 of 479
Quote:

Music will play for a little while longer at 48 kHz after the actual 48 sound stopped. Just a little while though. I tested this with an external DAC which was only capable of 44.1 kHz. The time I didn't get any sound at all was the lenght of the soundfile + a little while for Windows to try and figure out what it was doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Thanks! anyone else can answer this?

Yup.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #341 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music will play for a little while longer at 48 kHz after the actual 48 sound stopped. Just a little while though. I tested this with an external DAC which was only capable of 44.1 kHz. The time I didn't get any sound at all was the lenght of the soundfile + a little while for Windows to try and figure out what it was doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup.

cool thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #342 of 479
ENoyin I finally got asio4all to work in j rivers by disabling midi and by unmapping my Dac in windows. And yes it sounds great but when I go to my desktop Asio4all settings it still shows the Benchmark disabled. Is that normal? Am I or am I not going thru Asio4all?

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #343 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know whether your DAC tells Windows that it can not play 48kHz, and whether Windows react differently based on that info.

It would be a better test with a DAC that supports both 44.1 and 48 kHz, and can display the actual sampling frequency of the incoming digital stream. It would be helpful if someone can try this, and let us know the frequency the DAC shows.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #344 of 479
thanks for the guide. asio4all is working nicely with my laptop and keces dac-151.
i am using it with winamp.
sorry if this has been asked in the thread already (i only read up to page 10) when i start playing a file, winamp plays a split second of a previous file before it starts playing the file i choose to play. it only happens when i click the "next track" button or double click on a different file. not a big deal but is there a way to fix this?

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #345 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted betley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ENoyin I finally got asio4all to work in j rivers by disabling midi and by unmapping my Dac in windows. And yes it sounds great but when I go to my desktop Asio4all settings it still shows the Benchmark disabled. Is that normal? Am I or am I not going thru Asio4all?

It's working just fine for as far as I can tell. I think they fixed this issue in the new ASIO4All. (not sure though)

Quote:

I don't know whether your DAC tells Windows that it can not play 48kHz, and whether Windows react differently based on that info.

It tells Windows that it can't play 48 kHz and with good reason for it as well. It simply can't you see. It's a 44.1 kHz DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It would be a better test with a DAC that supports both 44.1 and 48 kHz, and can display the actual sampling frequency of the incoming digital stream. It would be helpful if someone can try this, and let us know the frequency the DAC shows.

I agree, but people have been testing this already. You should check the AVS forums for the test results. They even measured the length of time it takes Windows to get back to the 'real' sampling rate. (in ms for as far as I can remember) I can't find it right now, but I am sure it's there. Look it up if you are interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the guide. asio4all is working nicely with my laptop and keces dac-151.
i am using it with winamp.
sorry if this has been asked in the thread already (i only read up to page 10) when i start playing a file, winamp plays a split second of a previous file before it starts playing the file i choose to play. it only happens when i click the "next track" button or double click on a different file. not a big deal but is there a way to fix this?

Yeah, there have been some people reporting this issue before. I am not sure whether they did so in this thread or in other ones though and nor do I know the solution for it right now. Sorry
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back