ASIO4All Explanation
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #271 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Setting Up ASIO4All:
Some soundcards have their own ASIO driver installed allready. You should not install the driver again when this is the case. The cards that support ASIO natively are always better than cards which do not. True ASIO has no interference of the OS at all. You can skip this part and go on to to the part where the Foobar/WinAmp setup is explained.

I have a X-Fi XtremeMusic. I believe that it supports ASIO. Should I be using the ASIO from the soundcard or ASIO4ALL?

Which drivers do you refer to?

And which is "True ASIO"?

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #272 of 479
thanks enoyin. got asio setup on my computer and there was a significant increase in sq. more details, larger soundstage, more texture to music and actually more dynamic range in a lot of my music. i switched back and forth and there is a clear audible difference (the things i outlined above). safe to say it isn't placebo. my sound card supports asio natively so i didn't need asio4all.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #273 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a X-Fi XtremeMusic. I believe that it supports ASIO. Should I be using the ASIO from the soundcard or ASIO4ALL?

It does support ASIO. You do not need to install ASIO4All.

Quote:

Which drivers do you refer to?

I am referring to ASIO4All.

Quote:

Should I be using the ASIO from the soundcard or ASIO4ALL?

You should be using ASIO 2.0. (the soundcard)

Quote:

And which is "True ASIO"?

True ASIO is a card/device which already supports ASIO.(like your XtremeMusic)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose
thanks enoyin. got asio setup on my computer and there was a significant increase in sq. more details, larger soundstage, more texture to music and actually more dynamic range in a lot of my music. i switched back and forth and there is a clear audible difference (the things i outlined above). safe to say it isn't placebo. my sound card supports asio natively so i didn't need asio4all.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #274 of 479
one thing i should say though. my music scroll/track bar stopped working in foobar after i switched to ASIO. it's strange. my visualization also stopped working/responding to music in foobar (that's not a big deal, but the trackbar is)

the scroll bar (which u can drag to play any part of a song on the main foobar screen) is just permanently stuck at 0. it doesn't move, i can still move it myself to any part i want and it will play that part, but since it doesn't move on its own i don't know the progress of the song. also, the timer at the bottom shows 0/5:50 (the song is 5:50 min long) and doesn't start the countdown as the song plays, just stays at 0.

switching back to DS, the problems go away. has anyone found this when using ASIO with foobar? any advice to fix these issues?

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #275 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thing i should say though. my music scroll/track bar stopped working in foobar after i switched to ASIO. it's strange. my visualization also stopped working/responding to music in foobar (that's not a big deal, but the trackbar is)

the scroll bar (which u can drag to play any part of a song on the main foobar screen) is just permanently stuck at 0. it doesn't move, i can still move it myself to any part i want and it will play that part, but since it doesn't move on its own i don't know the progress of the song. also, the timer at the bottom shows 0/5:50 (the song is 5:50 min long) and doesn't start the countdown as the song plays, just stays at 0.

switching back to DS, the problems go away. has anyone found this when using ASIO with foobar? any advice to fix these issues?

Never happened to me before. It might be the ASIO driver you are using, but I can't be sure.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #276 of 479
i'm using the one that was linked on your tutorial, the one on the official foobar page to add ASIO support. i'm surprised noone else has found this. this only happens when i'm using ASIO.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #277 of 479
I have the same problem, but only when using flac. not mp3

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #278 of 479
Is there a proper way to set up ASIO on a X-Fi XtremeMusic card?

Enabling Bit-Match playback on Creative Audio Console?
" " " " "Creative Console Launcher?

Downloading foobar2000 ASIO support plugin?
Downloading foobar2000 Kernel Streaming support?

Setting Creative clock Master Sampling Rate -> ? 44.1 kHz?

Setting foobar2000 preference Output Device to
DS: SB X-Fi Audio [E400] ?
or KS: SB X-Fi Audio [E400] ?
or Null Output ?

Buffer Length on foobar2000 - 2040-2060ms?

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #279 of 479
Please help!

Whenever I select ASIO as output device in Foobar, it wont work. Sorry, noob here in computer audio.

My set up:

PC SPDIF out > D1 > Amp > Headphones

Thanks a lot!

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #280 of 479
Sorry guys. I missed these posts for a while. If you want a faster answer you should send me a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using the one that was linked on your tutorial, the one on the official foobar page to add ASIO support. i'm surprised noone else has found this. this only happens when i'm using ASIO.

I haven't got a clue. You should start a new topic either here or on HydroGen Audio. I am sure there are other people who've had this problem before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lromlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem, but only when using flac. not mp3

Same answer as above. I just don't know what's up.

Quote:

Is there a proper way to set up ASIO on a X-Fi XtremeMusic card?

Yup. There is.

Quote:

Enabling Bit-Match playback on Creative Audio Console?
" " " " "Creative Console Launcher?

Bit-matched playback is something you would definitely want enabled when using your X-Fi as a transport. (when connecting another DAC to it with a digital cable)

Quote:

Downloading foobar2000 ASIO support plugin?
Downloading foobar2000 Kernel Streaming support?

Downloading foobar2000 ASIO support plugin. <-- That one is the right one.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Setting Creative clock Master Sampling Rate -> ? 44.1 kHz?

Haven't got a clue. Maybe you should ask someone with a X-Fi card. I don't own one myself so I don't know all the specs and options it has to offer.

Quote:

Setting foobar2000 preference Output Device to
DS: SB X-Fi Audio [E400] ?
or KS: SB X-Fi Audio [E400] ?
or Null Output ?

None of the above. Have you read the guide?
confused.gif

Get the ASIO output plug-in for Foobar. Here it is.

Put that file. (the dll) in your components directory and select it as output device.

All of these things are written down in the first post. I would really like it if you read that first instead of me having to repeat myself every time. I mean no offence if you actually did, but I just don't like repeating myself.
wink.gif

Quote:

Buffer Length on foobar2000 - 2040-2060ms?

Good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Shouldn't matter that much. Just use the default. (which is 2000ms for as far as I know)

Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please help!

Whenever I select ASIO as output device in Foobar, it wont work. Sorry, noob here in computer audio.

My set up:

PC SPDIF out > D1 > Amp > Headphones

Thanks a lot!

Hmm. A bit more info than: "It won't work" would really be appreciated.

I'll give you a few suggestions:

- Have you checked (and double checked) that everything is set like it should be? (like latency in ASIO, latency in Foobar, the right setting for the output channels)
- Does Direct Sound work without a problem?
- What soundcard are you using?
- What version of Foobar are you using?
- What version of ASIO4All are you using? (if needed for your soundcard)
- Have you read the entire first post?
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #281 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Shouldn't matter that much. Just use the default. (which is 2000ms for as far as I know)

- Have you checked (and double checked) that everything is set like it should be? (like latency in ASIO, latency in Foobar, the right setting for the output channels)
biggrin.gif

Hi, the default value buffer lenght on Foobar 0.9.5 is 500ms, is it better 2000ms?

Is this the latency setting in Foobar?

Thanks for your help
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #282 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by nettuno65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, the default value buffer lenght on Foobar 0.9.5 is 500ms, is it better 2000ms?

Good. good. I never knew that. But no. It's not better.
frown.gif

Quote:

Is this the latency setting in Foobar?

Yah, Something like it anyway. Never really figured out much about it because it just isn't doing what it's supposed to do.. It doesn't give a latency of 8000ms. Although I think that is the purpose of it was anyway.

Quote:

Thanks for your help
biggrin.gif

I didn't help out here, but thanks anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #284 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got asio4all working with winamp with flac and some other lossless files, but nothing with mp3s. is it possible to get it to work with mp3s?

Yeah, it's supposed to work just as well with mp3s or any other lossy file as long as your audio application can decode the format.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #285 of 479
Hi, I'm trying to use the native Creative ASIO driver on my X-Fi to a USB DAC. However, the DAC doesn't show up as a device channel when I try to edit the settings in foobar.

If I try ASIO4ALL then the DAC shows up. Anyone know how to get the Creative ASIO driver to recognize the DAC?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back