ASIO4All Explanation
Jan 8, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #227 of 479
Hmm I can set the ASIO4All buffer size down to 88 samples without any noticible degredation. Would this possibly provide any benefits over setting it to its highest value. Or is low latency only important for recording and not playback.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #228 of 479
okay, I figured out I get the choppy sound I was taking about when I leave the "use hardware buffering" box unchecked. Will leaving it selected ( use hardware buffering on) cause any problems s.q.-wise? and if it's fine, what should I put the slider on? thanks

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #229 of 479
From what I remember, higher latency does not affect playback unless you use several DSP effects. These effects will be delayed with a higher latency and the more effects you use, the more likely you are to notice this. But IMHO, it doesnt make much of a difference.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #231 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by YouSpentHowMuch? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I can set the ASIO4All buffer size down to 88 samples without any noticible degredation. Would this possibly provide any benefits over setting it to its highest value. Or is low latency only important for recording and not playback.

Lower latency does not matter at all when using ASIO for playback only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, I figured out I get the choppy sound I was taking about when I leave the "use hardware buffering" box unchecked. Will leaving it selected ( use hardware buffering on) cause any problems s.q.-wise? and if it's fine, what should I put the slider on? thanks

Nope. No differences. Just the same thing but with more buffers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant seem to get asio4all to work with my Pico GreatDane, it keeps showing up as Beyond Logic. How did you set yours up to work?

When using your device ASIO will 'take control' off the device. Even ASIO will show it as 'beyond logic'. If there is sound coming out of the Pico and you've got ASIO selected as your preferred output chances are pretty good that ASIO is working just fine.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #233 of 479
Quote:

when i try to configure foobar with the virtual ASIO device thing to use ASIO4ALL it says the editor says not connected for the left and right channels

For as far as I know it will only say so if the left and right channels can not be assigned. In other words: when the device is not connected.

Now I am pretty sure you did in fact connect whatever it is you want to use ASIO with to your computer so I would try a restart of Foobar or maybe follow the steps as described in the guide again. If the problem persists after you have tried both don't hesitate to ask again. (here or by PM)

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #234 of 479
hmmm. Last I read about Asio4all pointed that it is nothing more than a wrapper for a directsound to make it compatible with ASIO...
Since usb DACs are incapable of working in KS mode, should I try Asio4all with my monica 2 USB and vista x64?

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #235 of 479
tried everything i could think of; uninstalled the driver and let windows reinstall, reinstall asio4all, disable other sound devices, reconnect the device a hundred times, i dunno what else i can try. Running Vista x64, other people have gotten it to work with the pico but not sure what else i can do.

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #236 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm. Last I read about Asio4all pointed that it is nothing more than a wrapper for a directsound to make it compatible with ASIO...
Since usb DACs are incapable of working in KS mode, should I try Asio4all with my monica 2 USB and vista x64?

Well, it's not DS any more because it is compatible with ASIO. The kmixer will not touch the audio content any more. ( mostly because you can't mix anything any more) It cannot be accelerated by the hardware any more which was the advantage of DS. (well, that was supposed to be the advantage of DS)

Should you try ASIO4All when using Vista if you are using it solely for playback?

Well, I wouldn't. The audio architecture of Vista is a lot better than the one in XP. (although Creative wasn't too happy about it) There are some topics on the AVS forums if you want to read up on it.

Edit:
Quote:

tried everything i could think of; uninstalled the driver and let windows reinstall, reinstall asio4all, disable other sound devices, reconnect the device a hundred times, i dunno what else i can try. Running Vista x64, other people have gotten it to work with the pico but not sure what else i can do.

The above. Since you are running Vista I wouldn't bother with ASIO or ASIO4All or KS or the likes. Vista is pretty good already.

EditII:
I should make a part about this in the first post. ASIO just doesn't change that much soundwise in Vista.

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #237 of 479
Perfect! Hey, I dont mind fiddling around with it if need arises, but the best is when everything works fine without hassle! I knew it sounded good from get go once I moved to Vista, so I will let it rest at that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #239 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect! Hey, I dont mind fiddling around with it if need arises, but the best is when everything works fine without hassle! I knew it sounded good from get go once I moved to Vista, so I will let it rest at that
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, in a few years there will be a Windows version which will work even better. It's called linux.
tongue.gif

Quote:

ah in that case i gladly say I GIVE UP, hah.

Heh, sorry. I should've written that part somewhere in the first post a while ago. I've said it before somewhere in this thread, but I assume no one is going to read through 10 pages (edit: make that 20) to find out.

But I'm tired and lazy so I'll just go to sleep.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back