Ashlee Simpson on SNL?
Oct 25, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #61 of 98
Eh, this is just another brick in the wall. Shocking? No. Funny as hell? Hell yes!!!
600smile.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #62 of 98
First, sorry Rick about that little quoting bit... I didn't see your post either. Perhaps you became temporarily invisible. Or I'm just oblivious. Anyway, nice Seinfeld reference there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Um...no.

Um...yes. One's a dumb-as-nails whore, the other's a slightly more intelligent hottie. Sorry, but I never understood the "I don't care how stupid she is, she's hot" mentality. Britney Spears, for instance, is completely unattractive to me for that reason alone. She's a moron.

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Um...yes. One's a dumb-as-nails whore, the other's a slightly more intelligent hottie. Sorry, but I never understood the "I don't care how stupid she is, she's hot" mentality. Britney Spears, for instance, is completely unattractive to me for that reason alone. She's a moron.

That makes SO much sense, it makes dollars. Dumb and hot are polar opposites.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #64 of 98
this incident made the NY Post today. yeah, newsworthy. anyhow her explanation was that the vocals were "backup vocals" of her voice overdubbing harmony tracks and layering, etc. but she still sings live over her own lead vocals to add texture or something. well, the band cued up the backup vocals for the song they did earlier in the night, so ashlee didn't sing because she was confused, and when the band switched over to do that track again, ashlee got pissed and left.

yes of course plenty of folks dial in canned backup vocals, and sometimes your own voice to "double up" your voice in the lead track too. is this what happened? time will tell. SAVE ASHLEE!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #65 of 98
Quote:

this incident made the NY Post today. yeah, newsworthy. anyhow her explanation was that the vocals were "backup vocals" of her voice overdubbing harmony tracks and layering, etc. but she still sings live over her own lead vocals to add texture or something. well, the band cued up the backup vocals for the song they did earlier in the night, so ashlee didn't sing because she was confused, and when the band switched over to do that track again, ashlee got pissed and left.

I have to admit, that's a plausible situation and justifies her blaming the band. Well perhaps not the band, but at least one of her sound engineers whom she categorizes as part of "the band". Maybe I've been too harsh on her.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #66 of 98
I loved the look the smirking bassist and guitar player exchanged when they continued jamming to the tune as Ashlee walked off ths stage
biggrin.gif
Priceless! Big props to them for trying to make the best of the situation; too bad their singer has such a lack of integrity that she chooses to blame them instead. They had the presence of mind to switch to the correct backing music, Ashlee obviously lacks the talent a real singer/musician would have to quickly segue into the appropriate song without missing a beat. I'm sure the band is looking for a new job already.

And I also loved a description of her "dance" I read: Axl-meets-Walk Like an Egyptian-meets-Lord of the Dance jig
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #67 of 98
hahaha. What a no-talent bum. (Same for other lip synchers.)
k1000smile.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #68 of 98
Ok, I'll give you the computer glitz but how do you explain the "hoedown"?
She's suppose to be the smart sister too per the liquid ice commercial with jessica.
The "hoedown" was worse that elaine bennes's hitchhiking thumb and convulsive kicks.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #69 of 98
Quote:

Ok, I'll give you the computer glitz but how do you explain the "hoedown"?

That was simply a reflex action caused by her brain melting down as she instantly comprehended how screwed her career is now.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #70 of 98
20 years old, live TV, likely her biggest gig yet...and things go wrong. I, like everyone else here, laughed HARD when I saw this. After I laughed 3 or 4 times, having it on repeat...I then began to feel bad for her, embarrassed even. Had I been in that situation, me having severe glossophobia, I would likelyhave just combusted, right there on stage, for what would amount to the greatest finale of all-time.

She is a young kid, who knows why she was lip syncing? Perhaps she had a cold. Perhaps she was having trouble with that song live and her manager INSISTED she do a dubbing at least or do a true lip sync for the show. Who out of the group stands to lose the most? If she blames her band (with her band knowing full well she was at fault in a remote way, at least unprofessional for not continuing with the performance) and the band swear to secrecy, they remain her band, she continues to make money and they continue to make money. If they go against her publically, her career flushes faster than it is presently going to and they get blacklisted for not backing their singer. What singer wants to sing with a band who won't protect them? Because this is a "put-together-band" they aren't united like U2, the Stones or Aerosmith. These are hired musicians and can easily be fired, with their names never really seeing print again. Perhaps it was the drummers fault for cueing the wrong song, as some have stated. Perhaps the vocals do drop out as she continues with the song. All of these are plausible events.

The jig was the most embarrassing part of the ordeal and all I have to say is: "If you can't dance don't move" That is my motto. I am a closet dancer. You know...the square white guy shuffle! That is what I can muster. I can't do better so I won't condemn her...but dang kid, if your career is in the music/dance biz, learn some steps! I can't sing and I can't dance, thus I'm a lab rat, not a rock star. Of course, our end goals are the same: "TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!"
wink.gif

She handled herself poorly yes, she should not have walked off the stage yes and she certainly she should not have blamed her band. But if this was a strategy agreed upon by the band, her manager and herself, then who are we to crap on it?

In the end, I won't judge outright, but I will say this - we need real artists, lots and lots of them, not the makeshift MTV cardboard cutout puppets the RIAA is throwing at us. No, no thank you, we want more of the good stuff. You know, the stuff we don't hear on the radio? Yeah, that's right, the good stuff.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #71 of 98
i hanker for the days when elvis costello stopped his live performance on SNL and busted out on the not-commerical-enough-for-his-manager "Radio" instead of the more commercial friendly track they were supposed to play (and did play, a bit before elvis stopped things) now that's a leader of a band.

but of course the moment was cheapened a bit when the beastie boys were playing sabotage on the 25th anniversary special and elvis popped on stage to "recreate" the stop to sing "Radio" with beasties boys backing him up - hey that was fun to watch but the spontaneity of the original moment was cheapened a bit (wait didnt i just type that?).

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #73 of 98
I've had some performances go wrong in my day. I've choked, forgot the words, tensed my throat up, forgot to breathe, all number of things... but I can proudly say I've never walked out. That's just a very basic thing you don't do. Doesn't matter at what level you're performing. You don't do it. The show goes on, end of story. True lack of discipline as a performer, IMO.

As for lip-syncing, if some manager told her to do it or whatever. You have to take charge sometimes. It's you who are employing them. It's your reputation. It's your resonsibility to have some integrity as an artist.

So nope, little sympathy here.

The only reasons those kids do sympathize and blame her band as well, is because they are not taught anything about music in the schools, and most of have never picked up an instrument, or know how to sing, or know at all how to use their ears.

Oct 25, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #74 of 98
Perhaps she had no choice but to walk off because it was never intended for her to actually sing. Maybe her mic wasn't even plugged in. Without something to lip-sync to, and having already realized her dancing skills weren't going to get her through this, she didn't see any reason to hang around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #75 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
First, sorry Rick about that little quoting bit... I didn't see your post either. Perhaps you became temporarily invisible. Or I'm just oblivious. Anyway, nice Seinfeld reference there.

Ashlee has a man's face with a man's nose, she doesn't look very attractive for a female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back