Article claiming CD-R's make audible differences
Jun 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the opposite be better?

well basically SOME ppl think that :
-different HDD's give different SQ
-HDD's give audible jitter, so you have to copy your music on a ramdisk
-picosecond/nanosecond audio jitter is clearly audible to them, and completely ruins their experience
-burning a CD a 4X ruins the SQ over 1X(I heard it many times when I was working at a studio, they prolly dunno how bad jitter is at 1X....2X is a minimum for the BLER not to go up the roof!)

let's just say that if you're a believer...it's your lucky day! some ppl will be more than happy to sell you cable risers/solid gold cables/super-neato media-players that copy music on a ramdisk...and soon platinum plated HDD's maybe? it's only a matter of time before they show up I'm sure!
tongue_smile.gif

we have a term called "idiophile" where I come from
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well basically SOME ppl think that :
-different HDD's give different SQ
-HDD's give audible jitter, so you have to copy your music on a ramdisk
-picosecond/nanosecond audio jitter is clearly audible to them, and completely ruins their experience
-burning a CD a 4X ruins the SQ over 1X(I heard it many times when I was working at a studio, they prolly dunno how bad jitter is at 1X....2X is a minimum for the BLER not to go up the roof!)

let's just say that if you're a believer...it's your lucky day! some ppl will be more than happy to sell you cable risers/solid gold cables/super-neato media-players that copy music on a ramdisk...and soon platinum plated HDD's maybe? it's only a matter of time before they show up I'm sure!
tongue_smile.gif

we have a term called "idiophile" where I come from
wink.gif

I don't really question your arguments, but my (value-free) question hasn't been answered yet.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

my (value-free) question hasn't been answered yet.
normal_smile .gif

let's just say that I believe you must let your emotions lead your opinion, but then it has to be double proofed w/ figures(distorsion rates, SNR, IMD+N, THD+N, crosstalk, etc).

I'm a firm op-amp believer, these metal 49720 sound out of this world
L3000.gif

they cost me $5 a pop, and I've never heard my music so clear and so lively(0.00003% THD+N does make an audible difference!)
ph34r.gif

ppl who buy into that idiophile bs and still use NE5532(or worse JRC2068 like on most RME cards) on their soundcard/amp cannot be taken seriously IMHO.

I've read Uncle_Erik saying that "rolling op-amps is like polishing a turd"....I couldn't LESS agree....so he'd think that I'm a complete fool, we're all someone else's fool I guess
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...we're all someone else's fool I guess
beerchug.gif

Very true... especially in this sub-forum.
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Jitter

CD Transport Jitter

These articles manage to ignore better contemporary research , Harley's measurements are hopelessly flawed and wildly inaccurate

Harley shows sidebands at -50db for 145ps jitter, this is several orders of magnitude off, for instance 157ps rms jitter on a 11Khz signal gives rise to sidebands at -118db, 1 ns jitter on a full scale 20khz signal gives sidebands at -80db the distortion due to 10 ns rms of jitter is -75 dB for a 4 kHz sine wave for example and even 300ns sinusoidal jitter on a D4 note ~2400hz played on a piccolo only generates sidebands at -60db, and if you look at Stereophile's later product reviews the measurements show much lower sidebands consistently for the same magnitude of jitter. None of Harley's musings are backed with unbiased listening tests and this article was so egregious that the Audio Critic felt moved to reprint an AES paper by Bob Adams (Analog devices) to correct the misapprehensions.

: see page 10 for Bob Adam's paper

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_21_r.pdf

If you want a good place to start on jitter the Benjamin and Gannon 1998 paper is much better than the Stereophile articles shows the effect of different types and magnitudes of jitter and describes the results of listening tests and discusses the extent to which masking emeliorates the jitter.

Even though it is quite old it should be required reading for any jitter thread and its findings have not been seriously challenged to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back