Article claiming CD-R's make audible differences
Jun 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 38
Reading the article again, when he states "JV rocks the boat even more" you notice that he keeps mentioning that he listens directly to some transport with 48 bit or 24 bit files and then off of CD and blaming the difference on the fact that it was played off of a CD. Aren't Audio CD's 16 bit which would mean he would have had to re-encode the files? Of course that would noticeably change the sound.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think burning speed effects sound more then cdr type. I may be going crazy but I tried burning at 1/2x vs 32x+ with EAC and heard minor differences.

I once burned copies for somebody on single-speed because his car CDP would skip if the burningspeed was higher. So yes, it can make a difference (Emperical proof, call MythBusters!) And I would call a skip audible
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 38
the only difference in cd-r are the ones that are made of pure gold and it means that they will last much longer than the aluminum ones ... the military backs up data on gold discs i've heard ....

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 38
I agree that slower burn speeds are better (I use 2X) for a clean burn. I've definitely tested that out and it effects whether the CD can be read or not and the media does matter. However, if it didn't work properly, it skipped or wasn't recognized. Other then that, I can't see how it would effect the audible signal.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that slower burn speeds are better (I use 2X) for a clean burn. I've definitely tested that out and it effects whether the CD can be read or not and the media does matter. However, if it didn't work properly, it skipped or wasn't recognized. Other then that, I can't see how it would effect the audible signal.

The compatibility of the burner and the CDR is what cause error in a high speed burn. The burner's firmware are usually optimized for certain brand of CDR. If you have a copy of Nero you can also experiment with burn speed vs accuracy. Nero has an utility that examine burn quality.

Also if you are doing 1:1 copy, make sure the reader spin up first before you burn. Some CD ROM does not read accurately until it has spin up to high speed. I typically use 16X with EAC and it works well for me.

The linked article actually has quite a few technical mistakes. The assumption is that the data or jitter can differ in a recording through different transport. This means the MP3 file people buy can differ in quality depends on if one download it with ATT or Comcast and servers you download from also makes a different.

Does this also mean my on line bill pay will change based on my Internet selection?

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The linked article actually has quite a few technical mistakes. The assumption is that the data or jitter can differ in a recording through different transport. This means the MP3 file people buy can differ in quality depends on if one download it with ATT or Comcast and servers you download from also makes a difference.

Jitter

CD Transport Jitter

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jitter
CD Transport Jitter

but apparently, jitter cannot be heard over headphones
confused_face_2.gif

Is jitter audible? The jitter test 2. | Welcome to HDD audio

The second jitter test is online. (Page 4) - Equipment - HDD Audio Forum
Quote:

This one is difficult. Did you try the first one? It's easier.
Hearing this with headphones will be difficult. Need good stereo imaging, not between your ears.

Quote:

The idea was to show that even when jitter is present at levels much higher than we expect in practice, it is extremely difficult to detect.

Quote:

There's no way nowadays that anyone is going to do better than buying DAC Chips from the likes of Wolfson, Analogue Devices, Burr Brown, Crystal et al. These are the world leaders and if manufacturers follow their instructions they will make a DAC as good as you can get.

all the DAC's from BB/AKM/AD have built-in jitter correction AFAIK..

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but apparently, jitter cannot be heard over headphones
confused_face_2.gif

Why not?

At least jitter is the only explanation I have for audible differences among CD transports, even through so-called jitter-immune DACs. (I've read somewhere that jitter cannot really be 100% suppressed.)

confused.gif
Everything is not so clear.
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

audible audio jitter sounds like magical thinking to me
redface.gif

Really?
regular_smile .gif
Explain!
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

well, can you clearly hear MAJOR sound differences between these samples using headphones (or not
biggrin.gif
): Is jitter audible? The jitter test 2. | Welcome to HDD audio
and the worst of these files is WAY worse than any jitter you'll ever get in real world applications

No, they all sound the same to me. But I can hear a difference between different CD transports. So there must be something to it. We don't know what kind of jitter causes which audible effects, so it's premature to conclude that it's the degree that matters. It could just as well be the spectrum (plus the degree).

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #29 of 38
well, I've read ppl saying that cMP and XXHighEnd sound better than foobar in bit-perfect mode......all that stuff is dubious
redface.gif

supposedly cMP sounds better because the HDD is not used anymore, it's all put on a jitter-free ramdisk....but as the OP link says each HDD sounds different after all, it's all magical thinking to me.

these ppl let their emotions control their thinking, that's not how it works...or maybe it is, what matter is the end-user satisfaction after all! they should buy cable risers while they're at it

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

...ppl let their emotions control their thinking...

Would the opposite be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back