ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Jun 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #391 of 531
Quote:
Pretty sure the Rega DAC fuse is 250mA not 2.5A.
And yes the Furutechs sound pretty good in the Rega.

Hey mate,

The Furutech catalogue it appears only had the one up in terms of amperage, at least from what was listed
 with the Furutech Australia dealer - in any case, I have started to dabble with power cords since the
 Music Direct adapter rolled in.

Quite happy with the results using my Nordost Heimdall Revision 2 (fairly new on the market) power cord
 - very micro detailed and great for a black background - not so great for the anticipated sound stage expansion
 - being a PS1000 owner, I know how expansive these cans can sound soI am still chasing a bit of that via a
 few different avenues.

I can say this though - I recently blind tested my local dealer who is an avid lover of the Violectric V800 DAC
 against the Rega unit, he was convinced that the V800 would win out on all counts. Alicia Keys
 (dubious recording quality), Ennio Morricone's 'The Mission' and finally some Greek artist - the last track converted
 him as he preferred a dead stock Rega unit.

He has always questioned my persistence with this DAC but the blind test did shed some light
 on why this unit deserves attention and modification - it's a corker.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #392 of 531
Yep the 315mA rating Furutech is fine. The Furutech fuse also adds a bit of lower heft that works well with the Rega.

Also consider the Pangea C5 adapter. IMO it sounds better maybe because of it's higher copper content.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGC5ADP

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #393 of 531
Quote:
Yep the 315mA rating Furutech is fine. The Furutech fuse also adds a bit of lower heft that works well with the Rega.
Also consider the Pangea C5 adapter. IMO it sounds better maybe because of it's higher copper content.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGC5ADP

Quick question - Is the fuse directional?

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #394 of 531
Quote:

Quick question - Is the fuse directional?

Of course it is
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #395 of 531
 Here is the current setup --> Nordost Heimdall Revision #2 with the Music Direct C5 to IEC adapter.

Well worth the expense on the Rega DAC - black backgrounds and the top end has cleaned up rather nicely,
 unsurprisingly it sounds best when plugged straight into the wall without the UPS in between.

I've still got the Shunyata Zitron Cobra coming so that should lift things up a notch or two and this Nordost
 will end up on the amp - well - that's the plan, chances are it could be the opposite!

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #396 of 531
 Finally received the Furutech fuse replacement - 20mm / 3.15A Slow Blow variant.

Only had time last night to listen to a couple of recordings - no massive improvements to report on
 initially but I am yet to get through the remaining 4 or 5 recordings that I consider to be quite
 sacred for my critical listening.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #397 of 531
Is there much difference between a pangea iec-c5 adapter and a bog standard one??

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I've been using a bog standard one for a couple of quid for the past year.  Just wondering if it was worth upgrading?

Cheers.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #398 of 531
Quote:
Is there much difference between a pangea iec-c5 adapter and a bog standard one??

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I've been using a bog standard one for a couple of quid for the past year.  Just wondering if it was worth upgrading?

Cheers.

What sort of power cord are you using with the standard adapter?

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #400 of 531
Hi all, after months and months of anticipation I've finally joined the Rega DAC club!. My current setup is: Violectric V200 HPA, Rega DAC, Audeze LCD-2 Rev. 2 + Q Cable. I'm still waiting for my Audiophilleo 2 to arrive, should be here very soon. Going to be purchasing a Shunyata power cord for the DAC, Starlight USB cable for the Audiophilleo, and possibly Black Cat Morpheus interconnects to replace my Blue Jeans LC-1 when I get my next paycheck hehe. I've had the Rega Dac for only two hours right now and already I can hear it changing for the better. Gonna leave it burning in all weekend and all week next week :) Here's a crappy Iphone pic:

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #402 of 531
Got a Rega DAC, dealer demo, nicely burned in. Put it in the system with a Rega Brio-R driving trusty pair of Spendor SP-1/2E speakers. A very musical combination. Using filter setting 5 on the Rega, I get a sound that feels more like music than the electronic reproduction of it. Maybe it's the brand synergy with the Brio-R, but it's looking like the Rega DAC will displace the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 that I've been enjoying for quite a while. The W4S remains a super DAC, and offers more transparency and detail than the Rega, but something about the Rega just makes me want to keep listening.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #403 of 531
Quote:
The W4S remains a super DAC, and offers more transparency and detail than the Rega, but something about the Rega just makes me want to keep listening.

Exactly what made me sell my former DACs (audio-GD ref5 dsp, Meier Stagedac, MHDT Havana), some were more transparant and detailed, but non as musical as the Rega; ever since I bought the Rega, 18 months ago, I've been happy and no more thoughts of changing/upgrading.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #404 of 531
Quote:
Hi all, after months and months of anticipation I've finally joined the Rega DAC club!. My current setup is: Violectric V200 HPA, Rega DAC, Audeze LCD-2 Rev. 2 + Q Cable. I'm still waiting for my Audiophilleo 2 to arrive, should be here very soon. Going to be purchasing a Shunyata power cord for the DAC, Starlight USB cable for the Audiophilleo, and possibly Black Cat Morpheus interconnects to replace my Blue Jeans LC-1 when I get my next paycheck hehe. I've had the Rega Dac for only two hours right now and already I can hear it changing for the better. Gonna leave it burning in all weekend and all week next week :) Here's a crappy Iphone pic:

I'm considering buying the Rega/V200 for the LCD-2.1.  The other major competing options are V800/V200 and the Grace m903.  Have you heard those and been able to make any comparisons?

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #405 of 531
Does the Rega DAC need something like the Audiophilleo to sound it's best? That was the issue I had with the Metrum Octave. I would only be using the coax connection from my Colorfly C4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back