ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Jan 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #376 of 531
The differences are subtile.
On my speakerbased system I prefer filter #1; it is al ittle bit 'pushy' but soundstage reaches forward on #1 from the speakers to my ears, which I like.
f.i. #4 has its soundstage behind the speakers, but it does have nice purer tonality.
#5 gives slightly too much treble on my system.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #377 of 531
I just bought a Oyaide Tunami GPX-R powercord. Will let you know what I hear when I get it in. Am excited 'cause it's pretty damn good already. 
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #378 of 531
Hey, got a question.

Will having two optical/toslink cables connected to the Rega dull the signal for each other at all? Say, one from my soundcard and the other from my PS3. Does anyone know? 

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #380 of 531

hello guys, i want to ask a question about the rega dac but please forgive my ignorance if it comes across silly!

Now i have S/PDIF 3.5mm output (looks like this might be ? toslink) on my laptop so would it be preferable to connect my laptop via

A. S/PDIF---S/PDIF (this makes the most logical sense to me atleast)
B. USB-------USB
C. USB----S/PDIF converter----S/PDIF

What I dont get about option C is why would you spend huge amounts of money on a converter ( http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/rega.htm ) when you could just buy a new laptop with a S/PDIF output?

I would love your insight and reasoning

Many thanks

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #381 of 531

Quote:

hello guys, i want to ask a question about the rega dac but please forgive my ignorance if it comes across silly!

Now i have S/PDIF 3.5mm output (looks like this might be ? toslink) on my laptop so would it be preferable to connect my laptop via

A. S/PDIF---S/PDIF (this makes the most logical sense to me atleast)
B. USB-------USB
C. USB----S/PDIF converter----S/PDIF

What I dont get about option C is why would you spend huge amounts of money on a converter ( http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/rega.htm ) when you could just buy a new laptop with a S/PDIF output?

I would love your insight and reasoning

Many thanks

Option C is viable for data junkies who find it impossible to migrate from PC to PC (or users who had simply sacrificed SPDIF outputs onboard their laptops for higher raw/hardware performance, esp. with gaming laptops) and still desire a high resolution and/or asynchronous output from their systems. I've never tried but I think you'll definitely have to give up stuff like ASIO here, though.

(Note that the USB input for the Rega DAC will only do 16/48 max.)

In any case, if you're using a Toshiba/Macbook-type 3.5mm/mini -toslink output from your laptop, just go ahead and use it. You would be alright with the Rega DAC anyway.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #382 of 531
Enjoying one of these in my speaker system, where it sounds substantially more natural than the Audiolab MDAC it replaced and the Bifrost I had in briefly, and not too far off my old Ayre CDP. It's an excellent value, especially for users not reliant on USB.

o

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #383 of 531
I'd like to chime in that I replaced my V-Link with a HiFace 2.

Words cannot describe the improvement I'm hearing.  It has truly upped the performance of the Rega Dac by some margin.

Lets just say the word 'Micro Detail' comes to mind.  I'm hearing things I've never heard before in recordings.  I can see deeper into the mix.  Everything is sharper and truer.  It truly is a revelation.

For £140 I thinks its a bargain.

May 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #385 of 531
I've been using filter 5 for RedBook almost since day one I got the DAC.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #386 of 531
 Yep - Filter #5 is my choice - least favourite would be Filter #2 or Filter #3 - does not gel with my ears.

Finally getting the ball rolling on this thing - I've got one of these on the way along with a Pangea C5 to IEC adapter.

Shunyata VTX Sidewinder - pure CDA-101 copper based hollow power cord.

Still impressed with my current Nordost Heimdall Revision #2 on the head amp (V200) but I've heard nothing but good things
 about the man behind Shunyata - going to take a punt, really looking for an open sound over detail -

After that - I'll put the Rega up on Nordost Kones (probably the AC) and call it a day - perhaps look into one of those replacement
 fuses from Hi-Fi Tuning just as an excuse to open up the damn thing.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #388 of 531
 Hey everyone - I am away from my beloved Rega DAC at the moment - does anyone know the length of the Rega DAC fuse
 is it 20mm or 32mm in length?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #389 of 531
 In case it has been missed - the Rega DAC fuse is 20mm in length and if ordering from the Furutech catalogue - the closest unit
 you will find is the 3.15Amp fuse - the actual rating on the stock fuse is 2.5Amp Slow Blow. 

Got one coming *eventually* in the mail

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #390 of 531
Pretty sure the Rega DAC fuse is 250mA not 2.5A.

And yes the Furutechs sound pretty good in the Rega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back