ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Dec 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #361 of 531

Quote:
Hoi.
Wow, you got a large music collection! My 1300 FLAC albums, take up about 300GB.
Personally, I prefer a PC above a NAS; it can do everything a NAS can do and much more, for the same price; you can upgrade and change things, make it more silent, give it a completely different use if so desired later, hang it on a router and share the drives if you need too; and it's faster. And even the best NAS is a slow PC (which is basically what it is).
And if you got a really large music collection, the index is getting very large too and you need more then 1GB internal memory and a reasonably fast processor to get fast access; especally if you use squeezebox, like I do.
So I made my own PC, 4 1-2TB drives inside, SSD for system, and it does everything well; gaming, squeezebox, surfing etc. etc. Best thing is, if you need a new, faster PC: just replace the mobo and the processor and memory and keep the rest, and for relatively not much money you got a brandnew fast machine. there a sync programs that can keep your drives or maps copied, automatically or manual, so it is as safe as RAID.

My collection is expanding super fast now because of this computer audio :)

I thought the biggest advantage of a NAS is that you can keep it on all the time because of the low power consumption ?
I use my computer now also as a NAS with a 2TB HDD, but that's almost full of music :) I must tell that my own cd's are ripped in WAVE, so that takes more space.

Also tried a Furutech power cable on the Rega DAC, a big improvement in the lower section i must say, and it sounds less digital
But i have to admit, it's still nowhere near as good as my cd-player. That's lot's more relaxed to listen to, the source before the DAC is also pretty essential.

I'm interested in the new Bryston BDP-1 streamer, but is a bit heavy priced for me 
blink.gif

Also the Ayre USB DAC will sure be great, but also out of my price range.

For the time beïng, i wil stuck with my cd's for the best musical performance.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #362 of 531

I'm looking at this Dac, but need to output to speaker amp and headphone amp. Will an rca splitter degrade the sound? Would there be any problems if I accidentally ran both the headphone and speaker amps at the same time? Cheers.

Quote:
If you want to spend some money - audioquest rca splitter or the y-splitter cable should do the job. Or just get some cheap off ebay:) Or get your favorite cables custom made y-split
images
images

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #363 of 531
I use the aq splitters. Sound still sounds good. But every added chunk of metal or wire theoretically decreases sound quality. My guess is you will be quite happy. Your alternative is to get a DAC with balanced and unbalanced output and use a balanced->unbalanced cable (unless on of your amps has balanced input) or route the headphone input through the speaker amp/pre-amp if it ha s a "tape" output, but this will decrease the sq more than the splitters. 

If you want to use one source for two amps, the aq splitters is a very good solution. Alternatively make som Y split cables. Peter at DHC cables will be happy to make you some makes for instance (but any other of the smaller cable makers will too). 

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #365 of 531
Hello all!

New to this forum & new to DACS, coming from a vinyl background.
I have studied this thread & hope someone can give me some sound advice.

I just purchased a Rega DAC & am really stunned with the quality thru my system. I found filter 4 most suitable. However, I am only using CD ripped FLACS  and the USB input.

I realise from what I have read here, I am not getting the best out of the DAC unless I go thru the SPDIF input. Now the question becomes what converter do I use bearing in mind I'm not using HD files? Do I need to fork out $500 for an Audiophilleo2, or will I get away with a cheaper [size=x-small]Musical Fidelity V-link II[/size]? Or perhaps I am asking the wrong question?

I dont think I want to get too deep into the DAC subject as I have a good vinyl front end & am pleased with the way the Rega sounds now......but our addiction being what it is, would like to explore the input side without going too mad!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Vic

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #366 of 531
I dont know if this is the right thread but I give it a shoot. I got Rega brio r amplifer with dali zensor 7 loudspeakers. I currently got a modded pc x-fi soundcard witch brings a highly dynamic, detailed and big soundstage sound but im not fully pleased with the vocals, it sounds unnatural and the sound itself is a little thin. My question is, Is it worth buying a Vdac mkii? my soundcard costed me 60euro a couple of years ago and the vdac cost around 250euro..

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #367 of 531

Quote:
Hello all!

New to this forum & new to DACS, coming from a vinyl background.
I have studied this thread & hope someone can give me some sound advice.

I just purchased a Rega DAC & am really stunned with the quality thru my system. I found filter 4 most suitable. However, I am only using CD ripped FLACS  and the USB input.

I realise from what I have read here, I am not getting the best out of the DAC unless I go thru the SPDIF input. Now the question becomes what converter do I use bearing in mind I'm not using HD files? Do I need to fork out $500 for an Audiophilleo2, or will I get away with a cheaper [size=x-small]Musical Fidelity V-link II[/size]? Or perhaps I am asking the wrong question?

I dont think I want to get too deep into the DAC subject as I have a good vinyl front end & am pleased with the way the Rega sounds now......but our addiction being what it is, would like to explore the input side without going too mad!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Vic

I think the V-link II would give you a couple nice benefits for little additional cost.  Specifically, you will be able to stream higher resolution above 16/48, which I believe you will appreciate when the opportunity arises, given your preference for vinyl.  Personally, I really like 24/96 and the several recordings I have in this resolution close the gap on vinyl nicely compared to redbook.  You will also gain asynchronous transfer from USB which typically has the benefit of reduced jitter coming into the DAC.

However, I have not compared the two units so perhaps someone who has can give you a good comparison so you can determine if the jump in cost is worth it right from the start.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #368 of 531

Quote:

I would recommend you JK HiFace MK3 (https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/mk3-hiface). In my system it sounds great! And it's the best and most enjoyable upgrade I've made recently.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #369 of 531
I'm officially now a Rega DAC owner.
biggrin.gif

I own a Cursa3 pre-amp and a Apollo CDP. I also own a set of Rega Aras (older R1), and really am keen to the Rega house sound. I'd like to complete the system someday with a pair of the Exon3 mono amps, when I find a decent deal on some.

I demoed a Rega DAC last week for the weekend, and I immediately fell for it. My Aras sing more than they have ever sung before (since they are in my second system which my high end vinyl rig isn't a part of)!!! In fact I don't really feel like listening to my cans at the moment, as I've owned these speakers for over three years and very impressed by them. The bass is phenomenal from my speakers now, especially from strung jazz bass. I listen to a lot of vocalist based jazz and it sounds simply amazing. Great instrumental timbre and tone, nice quick accurate timing, black backgrounds. Makes the rotel integrated amp I'm using to power my speakers sound much warmer, in a similar manner to my EL-34 amp. I need more 24/96 content now! The one I demoed sounded better than my did out of the box, about 24 hours later, things are already improving.

Currently its being linked up via my x-fi titanium hd through mini-toslink-toslink. This will be changed sometime soon, I need to figure out what usb/spdif interface I want to use. I've read through the entire thread, so I got a bit of input on what that might be (hiface evo, audiophilleo, or something else?). I'm also going to order one of those pangea IEC adapters, as power cords do have a positive effect on the other Rega gear I have.

I ordered the silver version, all my other gear is silver. My dealer says he hasn't sold any silvers yet (none for the Brio R either). Don't mind my cord mess behind there
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #370 of 531
Very encouraging, Just ordered the Rega, to replace a DacMagic as well.

Quote:
Got my Rega DAC
biggrin.gif
along with my other components (Brio R and RS3 speakers)

The Rega dac is head and shoulders better than the Dacmagic already and its only got a few hours on the clock.  It has an ample soundstage already and seems to give texture and life to the instruments and voices.

I put on The Beta Band 3 EP's CD on the other night and Dr Baker just blew me away.  The soundstage was awesome and the sound coming out from my speakers was phenomenal.  There was a richness that needs to be heard to be believed.

I still haven't attached my shielded power cable yet.  Will do that tonight.

So far I'm very happy.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #371 of 531
Awesome.

Even straight from the box it is better than the DM.  It is a lot more richer and fuller.  Give it 100+ hours and it opens up even more. 

Hope you enjoy it.

Happy New Year.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #372 of 531
A little quiet in here lately everyone too busy listening to music on their Regas?

I'm finding i like filter 5 the best with my system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #374 of 531
Filter 1 is a tad to bright for me, so I use filter no 5. Perceived better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back