ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #211 of 531
A relief for me; if there would have been an new model, I would have considered upgrading. But Rega doesn't usually release new models that quick, the DAC is only available for about a half year.

You won't regret it Warren, I 'm listening at it right now, and as always I love that full satisfying natural music pouring out of my speakers. For me it completely ended that nagging feeling something is fundamentally wrong with digital music.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #212 of 531
One thing I never seemed to get with the Rega DAC, though.

No matter what I do with the filters, it never seems to make the slightest bit of change to the sound. Am I doing something wrong with it, then?

Oh, interestingly too, I've observed that it tends to sound a lot better at ungodly hours (better extension, punch and dynamics) in the morning where I live (2 to 5AM, to be exact). That means to say (empirically) that the Rega definitely benefits from a mains upgrade of sorts. However, there have been some that I've spoken to that say using a mains conditioner might compromise on the dynamics and make the sound too restrained instead. Your thoughts, guys?

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #213 of 531

Quote:
No matter what I do with the filters, it never seems to make the slightest bit of change to the sound. Am I doing something wrong with it, then?

When I auditioned it, that was my experience as well. Of course, I wasn't familiar with its sound yet, but when I switched to other filters for a tiny amount of time, I really couldn't tell a difference.

After that I kept it on filter one for the whole time.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #214 of 531

"However, there have been some that I've spoken to that say using a mains conditioner might compromise on the dynamics and make the sound too restrained instead. Your thoughts, guys? "

I think people who complain about a power conditioner compromising on dynamics are talking about using them with a high-current-demand power amplifier playing big speakers. 

For a DAC, I don't see much downside.  It might not fix everything, as the RFI from most people's usage (all their TV's and computers & refrigerators etc) could be everywhere in the day.  A power conditioner & filter might help some of it but not everything.  A simple fix; there are metallic covers for unconnected inputs which, otherwise, are perfectly effective portals to let in RF.

Most people in a city feel that the best, clearest & warmest sound is late at night.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #215 of 531
The Rega DAC is certainly very sensitive to mains pollution. What doesn't help is the very cheap powercord (unshielded?), replacing it with a sensible Belden cable made a benificial difference in my system. Pity about the stupid, copletely incourant cloverleaf plug, I needed a converter.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #216 of 531

Quote:
Pity about the stupid, copletely incourant cloverleaf plug, I needed a converter.

Can't agree more.

Although, I think the plug itself can be bought off the likes of Maplin/Farnell/RS if one desires, isn't it?

Obviously there won't be any exotica available from those shops, but if you're only using a Belden cable, it should suffice?

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #217 of 531
The cloverleaf plug is hard to find, haven't succeeded yet, I asked Russ Andrews and they said:

Quote:

[size=11pt]Unfortunately, the only way to use a third party mains cable such as our Classic, is to use the IEC to Cloverleaf adaptor.[/size]

[size=11pt]The Cloverleaf plugs do not exist in a rewire-able form.[/size]

I'm vaguely wondering if it is possible to change the inlet on the DAC to a IEC, but I'm not much of an electonic DIY-er.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #218 of 531

Quote:

I'm vaguely wondering if it is possible to change the inlet on the DAC to a IEC, but I'm not much of an electonic DIY-er.

That would void warranty. 

I don't seem to be able to find any high quality C5 powercord either. I do question Rega's decision in having C5 female plug instead of the standard IEC type.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #219 of 531
I ended up buying a C5 IEC converter plug.  I have to prop it up with wooden clothes pins because I was afraid the weight of the converter and the cable was going to torque down on the input connector.  Heh.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #220 of 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm...On paper it is going to be a reversible mod, anyway. Of course, if you're unsure, just leave it alone.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #223 of 531
Enjoy! But let me warn you for one disadvantage; you'll never stop wondering why this magnificant DAC doesn't get more attention here. At least, that is how it is for me.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #224 of 531

Quote:
One thing I never seemed to get with the Rega DAC, though.

Oh, interestingly too, I've observed that it tends to sound a lot better at ungodly hours (better extension, punch and dynamics) in the morning where I live (2 to 5AM, to be exact). That means to say (empirically) that the Rega definitely benefits from a mains upgrade of sorts. However, there have been some that I've spoken to that say using a mains conditioner might compromise on the dynamics and make the sound too restrained instead. Your thoughts, guys?

When I was in America I would note heavy improvements the hours between 1 am and 6 am in my system. This is the time when the grid is under less load. The next step for me is a Richard Gray Substation and a power regenerator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back