ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #241 of 531
So, I am brave enough to pay for the deposit and signed up for a 4 weeks wait without even having heard it (the store says this thing is so hot that they don't have even an audition unit). If it doesn't live up to the hype I am holding all of you personally responsible. :p

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #242 of 531
And what will you do if it does live up to the hype?

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #244 of 531

Quote:
So, I am brave enough to pay for the deposit and signed up for a 4 weeks wait without even having heard it (the store says this thing is so hot that they don't have even an audition unit). If it doesn't live up to the hype I am holding all of you personally responsible. :p

If you're in the US, there is a used silver one on the Audiogon right now going for $775 + ship, even comes with an adapter so you can use upgraded power cables.  Usually you see one of these for sale every week or so over there.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #245 of 531
Quote:
And what will you do if it does live up to the hype?

I'll click the thumbs up button under your post, that's what it is for isn't it? 
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #247 of 531
Quote:

If you're in the US, there is a used silver one on the Audiogon right now going for $775 + ship, even comes with an adapter so you can use upgraded power cables.  Usually you see one of these for sale every week or so over there.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not in the US, I got it for about $900 (local deal, new). Not bad I'd say.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #248 of 531
Btw, initially I was looking for something to replace the Creative USB sound card that I use as a standalone DAC for the cable set top box (cleaner sound on my speaker rig). However for some reason when powered on adapter (as oppose from a PC) it would pop when I stop/rewind/FF. I figured it won't be good for the speaker. I also got sick of changing disc and wanted to use my PC for background listening. So I started looking for some cheap DAC off the eBay.

Long story short, the "cheap DAC" that I was looking for watching cable ended up costing more than my main source (Marantz SA7001) LOL.

So obviously, if all things go well, this is going to be my alternative source or even my main source for serious listening. Now I need a transport for it. The Marantz would be a good candidate for CD playing, but I prefer to have something like a digital jukebox for background listening. I looked at:

- iPod + digital dock
- Squeezebox
- Good old PC

As my funds are severely depleted for reason mentioned above, for that I kind of ruled out the first 2. I have way too many PCs (3 desktops + 1 laptop) at home. But a PC is IMO quite clunky to use as it needs monitors and keyboard to work, I prefer sitting on a couch with a remote.

Compromise has to be made. Here are my choices:

- Hook up a PC (onboard Realtek sound card) across the room with optical cable (the cable has to be 23' long)
- Get a dedicated sound card for that PC with the above
- Use a similarly long USB cable instead
- Get a USB to coax converter and use a long coax or USB cable
- Hook up a spare PC near the hifi rig and use the TV as monitor (but I don't like the idea of involving the TV)
- Use bluray player to play WAV files on USB drive (I'll need to maintain another parallel library of WAV on top of the numerous that I already have (WMA lossless, ALAC, AAC), and still need the TV)

Suggestions?

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #249 of 531

Quote:
You'll get something that money can't buy, the joy of helping others find their joy.
biggrin.gif

Oh wow that's cheesy...I like it.  LOL

Can't really give a lot of advice on your current setup challenge.  I would personally not really be that keen on using such a long USB run, but that's just because my mom's dog almost started a small electrical fire at her place when it chewed through a live USB wire.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #250 of 531
Good answers, both Navyblue, especially since, frankly, I never noticed the thumb up button, let alone I know ho it works. One of those karma things? I'll dinfd out.
Seriously, I love the Rega. What I think is important is not to listen to it with a 20s attention span analytical ear, but just let go and enjoy the music, that iswhat it is made for, and that is what it delivers.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #253 of 531
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #254 of 531
I almost got the Rega DAC several months ago but when the Parasound 1100HD popped up, I couldn't resist. 

Anyway, I love reading that guy's reviews especially since our source sub-forum has turned into an Audio-gd forum nowadays so information regarding other DACs and more importantly, comparisons to other DACs in similar levels has been scarce. Beneath the flowery language I do think he does a fine job highlighting how a DAC "sounds". For instance, I got the impression that the Rega is brighter and thinner sounding than the NFB-2 but not as bright as the Anedio D1 from his review. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #255 of 531
During a meet in May 2011 we tried the Rega DAC on SRS-4170 and SR-007/SRM-007t. The Rega DAC gives both these Stax setups ""rythm, kick and fun". :) Synergy? Tick in the box.

Quote:
Anyone tried this DAC with Stax headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back