ARRIVED: new Rega DAC
Jan 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #511 of 531

They just released a new DAC-R with overhauled USB input...

Yes... and I would be very surprised if Rega used the 5V power lead from the incoming USB connection for anything, except sense (i.e. detecting a hot USB connection). For that latter reason, you may not get away with using a 'data only' USB connection, but who knows what will happen in practice.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #512 of 531
Hi fellow rega dac owners,

Quick question : has anyone else found the optical input connectors on the back to be a poor fit with most cables?

I have an expensive cable - a chord optichord- and that one will hardly stay in at all. I tried another cheap one and that is a little better but still does not click into place. It's weird because the optical output in the rega is a lovely fit but the input sockets are just horrible.

I called a local dealer and they said they had had some trouble with this in the past. I think I'm going to have to use USB connection instead. Am I missing something ? - Yes I removed the plastic protectors from the ends :)

This is the original rega dac not the new one.

Thanks!

Jeb

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #513 of 531
Hi fellow rega dac owners,

Quick question : has anyone else found the optical input connectors on the back to be a poor fit with most cables?

I have an expensive cable - a chord optichord- and that one will hardly stay in at all. I tried another cheap one and that is a little better but still does not click into place. It's weird because the optical output in the rega is a lovely fit but the input sockets are just horrible.

I called a local dealer and they said they had had some trouble with this in the past. I think I'm going to have to use USB connection instead. Am I missing something ? - Yes I removed the plastic protectors from the ends
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the original rega dac not the new one.

Thanks!

Jeb

Yes, I've noticed this, as well. I wonder if it's the cable vendors that are loose with the specs or the ports used by Rega.

I say that because I've found that the AudioQuest plastic connectors click solidly into place, but I have two examples of glass cables from Lifatec (Silflex glass TOSLINK) with the brass/gold connectors (can't tell and I'm not biting them 
wink_face.gif
) that hang loosely from the port.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #514 of 531
Yes, I've noticed this, as well. I wonder if it's the cable vendors that are loose with the specs or the ports used by Rega.

I say that because I've found that the AudioQuest plastic connectors click solidly into place, but I have two examples of glass cables from Lifatec (Silflex glass TOSLINK) with the brass/gold connectors (can't tell and I'm not biting them :wink_face: ) that hang loosely from the port.

Awesome thanks so much for replying - I was wondering if I was going crazy - it's the first time I've ever used toslink cables. Strange because lots of people recommended the optichord so I wonder if there is variation in the quality control at rega or variation in the seating of the ports. If so, that's a bit sucky. That's great to know the audio quest ones work well !

In all the plugging and unplugging I managed to break off the little grey trapdoor covering the ports so now it seems even looser even though I don't think that should be necessary if it's a good fit - doh!

In the end I've given up on toslink and bought a musical fidelity v- link 2 usb to coax converter, which seems to be a popular choice and allows for high res.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Jeb

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #515 of 531
In the end I've given up on toslink and bought a musical fidelity v- link 2 usb to coax converter, which seems to be a popular choice and allows for high res.

I do something similar with a Bel Canto mLink, for my Mac, but I still use TOSLINK for a network audio player. Have fun, it's a great DAC!

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #516 of 531
Hi, just wanna share my 5 cents about the dac. 
And what can I say, it plays music. I use it with M1HPA amp and together they make my HD600 absolutely super fun to listen to,(I could say stunning, but thats not the case, its more in a FUN kind of way). I had the M1 Dac before but I think the rega destroys it when it comes to actual music enjoyment.
Its have a very lush but not warm, very full but not at all suffocating kind of sound. And the Soundstage! It may not be the biggest, but I really love how it builds a half-circle around your head with wall of sound, and because of that I think imaging becomes really balanced.

I use filter setting 2 btw.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #517 of 531
  Hi, just wanna share my 5 cents about the dac.
And what can I say, it plays music. I use it with M1HPA amp and together they make my HD600 absolutely super fun to listen to,(I could say stunning, but thats not the case, its more in a FUN kind of way). I had the M1 Dac before but I think the rega destroys it when it comes to actual music enjoyment.
Its have a very lush but not warm, very full but not at all suffocating kind of sound. And the Soundstage! It may not be the biggest, but I really love how it builds a half-circle around your head with wall of sound, and because of that I think imaging becomes really balanced.

I use filter setting 2 btw.

Couldn't agree more... the Rega DAC is something you have to listen and acclimate to, I guess; and, like the Sennheiser HD-650, you have this sort-of "aha" moment when the sheer musicality of the DAC comes through.

I just re-experienced this last weekend, when I decided to move my Rega down to the 2-channel speaker system, replacing the NAD D 1050 DAC. At first, my initial reaction was that the DAC sounded subdued, quiet and less in your face than the Cirrus Logic 4398 -based NAD D 1050 DAC. I was taken off-guard by that, but decided to put on some familiar music, sit in the sweet spot and just listen. Before I knew it, I was through an entire album and, later, being really aware of the imaging and soundstage.

Anyway, I learned yet again, to be wary of off-the-cuff reactions to listening impressions.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #518 of 531
I just bought a Theta DAC. Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A to be exact. I like it a lot more than my Bifrost Uber which cost me $500. I got the Progeny for $276 + free shipping.

I bought a Peachtree T1 USB-Coax converter so I wouldn't have to use toslink S/PDIF pass through from my HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard.

I didn't like the sound, it added digititis to a remarkably "analog-sounding" DAC.

I resumed using the optical PCM pass-through of my PC soundcard and haven't looked back. Maybe I will consider a more expensive converter but for now the S/PDIF PCM pass through is the best sound I have heard out of this DAC.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #519 of 531
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #521 of 531

Perfect post for the Rega DAC thread. Well played.

LOL. I know right. Meh mine has one more transformer than yours does though.
smily_headphones1.gif
neener neener

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #522 of 531
Apr 9, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #523 of 531

Sorry... I wouldn't have commented had I known you were suffering from Asperger's syndrome.

Hey, atleast I managed to revive a dying thread. Nothing wrong with a Rega DAC these days. My DAC is bigger than yours though and has a bigger power supply
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #524 of 531

Just burning in my new DAC R. I upgraded from the original Rega Apollo which is the only CD player I have loved. Only a few hours into the burn in but already I can tell I like the apodizing filter. To me it makes the treble sound more natural on my HD800 ' s. The DAC R seems softer than my Apollo and I have already noticed a little more low level detail . The sound stage is night and day though, like Rega got into bed with the Apple iPod for the 'widescreen' presentation and produced a hybrid lovechild. Im not saying it's worse, just different and it will take me time to adjust. I did notice though when connected to my speaker system that the presentation seemed to be vertically higher than my Apollo. Anyway, I'm going to enjoy the burn in and let my brain adjust, so far so good :)

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #525 of 531

Just burning in my new DAC R. I upgraded from the original Rega Apollo which is the only CD player I have loved. Only a few hours into the burn in but already I can tell I like the apodizing filter. To me it makes the treble sound more natural on my HD800 ' s. The DAC R seems softer than my Apollo and I have already noticed a little more low level detail . The sound stage is night and day though, like Rega got into bed with the Apple iPod for the 'widescreen' presentation and produced a hybrid lovechild. Im not saying it's worse, just different and it will take me time to adjust. I did notice though when connected to my speaker system that the presentation seemed to be vertically higher than my Apollo. Anyway, I'm going to enjoy the burn in and let my brain adjust, so far so good :)

Congrats... I agree on the Minimum Phase Apodizing filter. Still lovin' mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back