[Aroma Audio] Our new "AIR" Bluetooth DAC Amplifier
Nov 4, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #31 of 127
Can we use this dac/amp in a non-Bluetooth mode, through usb? And comparisons with the BTR7 would really be great. I know there is a major price difference, but even then is it really stepup from BTR7 in terms of sound and usability.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #32 of 127
Can we use this dac/amp in a non-Bluetooth mode, through usb? And comparisons with the BTR7 would really be great. I know there is a major price difference, but even then is it really stepup from BTR7 in terms of sound and usability.
Unfortunately, it is bluetooth only. I only have a BTR5 and it does not come close to the sound quality of the AIR. But the bluetooth range is much better on the BTR5. The bluetooth range on the AIR is pathetic by any standard. For example I just tested it again right now, I cant even listen with the AIR in my front pocket and my phone in my back pocket, it cuts out every couple of seconds. If i put both in my front pockets its fine. This is rediculous IMO. If someone else that owns this can do this test I would like to know if it is just as bad for them. I mostly listen at my desk with the AIR or laying in bed so not a deal breaker for me. When im at work on my feet for 8 hours I use mostly a qudelix 5k or btr5 neither of which have bluetooth issues like the AIR.

I should specify that the AIR has no problem connecting to devices its only the range that is the issue.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #33 of 127
Thanks a lot! So the conclusion is that its probably the best sounding portable dac/amp for the use with BT.
How is the power? There are some confusing informations about different output powers depending on the impedance of the headphones/iems.
Im using Softears Twilight which has impedance below 32 Ohms and seems like the Air will only output 50 mW. Sure its enough to power them but single DDs like more power and scale better with more power a source will deliver.
So im bit affraid that i will not utilise the full potential of the Air.
It has enough power for me. I like it on all of my headphones, in-ear/over-ear except on my over-ear planars. For example my HE-500 sounds just ok paired with the AIR out of the 4.4 output. My T50 Argon Mk2 sound better but also not great but listenable.

The two best DD iems i have are the Tanchjim Oxygen (32Ohm) and JVC HA-FDX1 (16Ohm). Both sound incredble on the AIR.

I ran a test on my hardest to drive iem and headphone:

With the tin p1 (20ohm) out of the 3.5mm output, normal, comfortable listening level for me is 83 on the display.

With the beyerdynamic dt880 (600ohm) out of the 3.5mm output, I can max out the volume to 99 and it is too loud for me. I attached the results of the decibel meter off my phone with the cup of the headphone sealed over the mic. For reference my comfortable listening volume for this pairing is 87 and they sound good to me.

Attachments

• AIR dt880.JPG
    AIR dt880.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #34 of 127
It has enough power for me. I like it on all of my headphones, in-ear/over-ear except on my over-ear planars. For example my HE-500 sounds just ok paired with the AIR out of the 4.4 output. My T50 Argon Mk2 sound better but also not great but listenable.

The two best DD iems i have are the Tanchjim Oxygen (32Ohm) and JVC HA-FDX1 (16Ohm). Both sound incredble on the AIR.

I ran a test on my hardest to drive iem and headphone:

With the tin p1 (20ohm) out of the 3.5mm output, normal, comfortable listening level for me is 83 on the display.

With the beyerdynamic dt880 (600ohm) out of the 3.5mm output, I can max out the volume to 99 and it is too loud for me. I attached the results of the decibel meter off my phone with the cup of the headphone sealed over the mic. For reference my comfortable listening volume for this pairing is 87 and they sound good to me.
Thanks for this very detailed answer!
Im using AK sp1000 as a source but want to try something different to check the results (the AK sounds fabulous but bit too clean and analytical at times). I ordered Shanling H7 which will come on Monday. If im not satisfied enough, i will return it and order Aroma Air.

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 127
I think the Air is pretty good too. Comfortable volume for me is around 69-70 for IEMs, 74 for earbuds.

It’s interesting though that volume 0 essentially starts at I think it was 67 (haven't used it for a while)

Bluetooth connection could be better but it might also be the reason why it sounds good, needs to send more data. It will cut off sometimes if I have my phone in one pocket and the Air in another. I also hear some interference from my phone sometimes if a new song needs to stream.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 127
Unfortunately no. It is BT only. BTR7 is not even remotely close. Air completely demolished both my Questyle M15 and Cayin RU7 (both great devices on their own but AIR is
markedly better on all fronts, especially bass definition, separation, and soundstage (cavernous soundstage). I actually preferred it to my Earmen Angel with certain pairings (Sony IER M9, Flipears Aether and HD 650 sound better with the AIR). It drives my Arya Organic magnificently as well. My only major gripe with this device is the range ( signal cuts out if you move beyond 7-8 feet from the source, also you have to make sure the antenna part faces the source device, preferably without any interference in between)

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 127
The battery is not impressive on the air, I can listen for about 4-5 hours max. I will do a battery test soon and give you a more specific answer. The bluetooth range is also not good, dont expect to set your phone down and walk more than a few feet away without it cutting out. When connected to my computer I can walk into the other room about 10 feet away before it starts to cut out. It gives a nasty pop through the headphones when the battery is drained complety and it is best to try to avoid this all together by charging it when there is one bar left.

But the sound quality is amazing and worth the price in my opinion. It sounds significantly better than my Dethonray honey H1. I look forward to using it everyday and it would be the only thing I listened to if the battery could last as long as a quidlix 5k for example. My favorite pairing so far is the 6xx and the sony ier-m9. I have had it for about a month and it still has the wow factor everytime I use it. Amplify's review on youtube is the reason I bought it and I can say that his review is accurate.

UPDATE 11/4/2023: I tested the battery today, on a full charge it will last for 8 HOURS of continuous playback, I was way off......
It looks like Aroma uses Panasonic 18600 cells (repackaged with protection circuit). I will order some Nitecore and Orbtronic batteries soon (orbtronic is supposedly the best among repackaged Panasonic cells. I wish more manufacturers gave us the option of standard, swappable non soldered batteries, looking at you and your absolute crap tier batteries, iFi

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 127
Thanks a lot! So the conclusion is that its probably the best sounding portable dac/amp for the use with BT.
How is the power? There are some confusing informations about different output powers depending on the impedance of the headphones/iems.
Im using Softears Twilight which has impedance below 32 Ohms and seems like the Air will only output 50 mW. Sure its enough to power them but single DDs like more power and scale better with more power a source will deliver.
So im bit affraid that i will not utilise the full potential of the Air.
I cannot go beyond 85 with the Arya Organic and 87 with the HD 650/Edition XS. There is a massive boost in power/volume after 90. I won't recommend turning up the volume to that level unless you have something stubbornly difficult to drive. Hard-to-drive IEMs like IER M9 and Helios sit comfortably between 75-80 volume. Air smartly adjusts to the IEM/HP paired to it.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #40 of 127
So there is an option to swap the batteries also, nice! Are there any batteries on the market that are compatible with Air but add an extra playback time?
Most likely Orbtronic (the protection circuit has a broader range, also every component is made in Japan. Nitecore should be good as well). these Panasonic cells are dirt cheap but super reliable. The battery fits very snugly. Carefully use a guitar pick (preferable made of soft plastic and smooth edges) to remove.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #41 of 127
I received the Shanling h7 three days ago and it sounds fabulous, very wide and powerful sound but smooth and musical. Came out that the AK sp1000 is slightly warmer but the H7 also has warmish hue on its sound which i love. Wondering how the H7 would compare with the Air. Damn, some devices are so exotic that ist really hard to find some specific comparisons.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #44 of 127
I received the Shanling h7 three days ago and it sounds fabulous, very wide and powerful sound but smooth and musical. Came out that the AK sp1000 is slightly warmer but the H7 also has warmish hue on its sound which i love. Wondering how the H7 would compare with the Air. Damn, some devices are so exotic that ist really hard to find some specific comparisons.
How is H7 compared to SP1000? Is it an upgrade?

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #45 of 127
How is H7 compared to SP1000? Is it an upgrade?
H7 is an upgrade in power but sound wise, the sp1000 still has an upper hand, at least to my ears. Its just bit more realistic, natural and convincing in the timbre and layering. The sp1k is bit warmer and has slightly more vivid 3D stage but the H7 is definitely an amazing device and imho plays with daps from price range 1000-1800 bucks easily. Also the bass goes deeper on the sp1k but i loved the H7 bass too.
I ordered the AK pa10 to strengthen the sp1000 sound even more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back