[Aroma Audio] Our new "AIR" Bluetooth DAC Amplifier
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 127
The Gryphon is to big for me too.
Mub1 is almost identical in size to the xCan. Just got it yesterday so I can't say to much about sound.
First impression is very positive, and the playback control is a big plus for me (just the Play/Pause implementation could be better).

I also tried with a Bluetooth remote control. It works, but I don't like this solution for every day usage.
So sadly, I will probably skip the Aroma air.
Dethonray sg1 has playback controls and is smaller than gryphon.

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 127
Dethonray sg1 has playback controls and is smaller than gryphon.
I have the sg1 Special Edition already. Also the Xduoo Poke II wich also have playback controls.
The Xduoo is nice, smaller then Gryphon, but also a little to big for real mobile usage.
Dethonray is very good sound, in the Special Edition just for 4,4mm. Its very light (compared to the poke II), but also not the smallest.
I use mostly Earbuds, so there are many with fixed cables and single ended. So the Dethonray is only for the balanced versions.
As smal solutions and realy pocketable I have iFi go blu and fiio btr5. I like them, but for some buds they have to less of Power.
So the size of the xCan is maybe best compromise of power and pocket friendlyness. But xCan has no playback controls and 2,5mm is also a little out of date.
Bu1 has same size and similar weight as xcan and same power Output. But modern with 4,4mm and Playback controls. Bu1 also offers line-out, when a small amp is needed for realy power hungry buds. So far for me the best package.
The next days the yinlumei b2 should arrive. If its sounds as good as people say, it could be also a good option. Little less Power then bu1, but also with playback control.
Will see if the size fits.
The only little con for the bu1 at the moment for me is the play/pause Control. Long press on the menu button will do this. Short press for menu. Should be the other way around.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 127
I’m sorry for bashing, but this device seems a bit overpriced, no? And what’s the point to have swappable opamp when it’s wireless device? Or am I wrong? Can it be used solely as USB C dac/amp?

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 127
I have the sg1 Special Edition already. Also the Xduoo Poke II wich also have playback controls.
The Xduoo is nice, smaller then Gryphon, but also a little to big for real mobile usage.
Dethonray is very good sound, in the Special Edition just for 4,4mm. Its very light (compared to the poke II), but also not the smallest.
I use mostly Earbuds, so there are many with fixed cables and single ended. So the Dethonray is only for the balanced versions.
As smal solutions and realy pocketable I have iFi go blu and fiio btr5. I like them, but for some buds they have to less of Power.
So the size of the xCan is maybe best compromise of power and pocket friendlyness. But xCan has no playback controls and 2,5mm is also a little out of date.
Bu1 has same size and similar weight as xcan and same power Output. But modern with 4,4mm and Playback controls. Bu1 also offers line-out, when a small amp is needed for realy power hungry buds. So far for me the best package.
The next days the yinlumei b2 should arrive. If its sounds as good as people say, it could be also a good option. Little less Power then bu1, but also with playback control.
Will see if the size fits.
The only little con for the bu1 at the moment for me is the play/pause Control. Long press on the menu button will do this. Short press for menu. Should be the other way around.
I have sg1 gold as well. I use hm1000 Himalaya r2r as bt dac, it has three gain levels, but it doesn't have playback control. N3Pro from cayin also works very well as single ended bt tube dac.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 127
I’m sorry for bashing, but this device seems a bit overpriced, no? And what’s the point to have swappable opamp when it’s wireless device? Or am I wrong? Can it be used solely as USB C dac/amp?
Op amps are placed on output section, it does not matter if input is wired or wireless.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #24 of 127
Guys please share some more impressions and comparisons.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 127
Great sounding device but I think some devices may have some paint manufacturing defect. I shoulda known when I saw the demo unit had metal showing through and starting from the exact spot. I’m not sure when this spot showed up on mine but I’ve babied the device and only have had it about 2 weeks. I was on vacation so used it a few hrs at most in hotel room only until I saw the spot. Unfortunately Im back in the states now but I hope its covered in the future if it gets worse
FF5F9140-0DDF-4427-B5EF-ECC5F46D47AD.jpeg

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 127
Im very interested in this device. How does it compare to the Gryphon and Dethonray Pegasus Gold? Ive had both and they were both great sounding, especially the Pegasus, but the battery life on the Pegasus was a disaster- around 3-3,5h. The Gryphon was bit too smoothed out when used via BT so i sold both.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #29 of 127
Im very interested in this device. How does it compare to the Gryphon and Dethonray Pegasus Gold? Ive had both and they were both great sounding, especially the Pegasus, but the battery life on the Pegasus was a disaster- around 3-3,5h. The Gryphon was bit too smoothed out when used via BT so i sold both.
The battery is not impressive on the air, I can listen for about 4-5 hours max. I will do a battery test soon and give you a more specific answer. The bluetooth range is also not good, dont expect to set your phone down and walk more than a few feet away without it cutting out. When connected to my computer I can walk into the other room about 10 feet away before it starts to cut out. It gives a nasty pop through the headphones when the battery is drained complety and it is best to try to avoid this all together by charging it when there is one bar left.

But the sound quality is amazing and worth the price in my opinion. It sounds significantly better than my Dethonray honey H1. I look forward to using it everyday and it would be the only thing I listened to if the battery could last as long as a quidlix 5k for example. My favorite pairing so far is the 6xx and the sony ier-m9. I have had it for about a month and it still has the wow factor everytime I use it. Amplify's review on youtube is the reason I bought it and I can say that his review is accurate.

UPDATE 11/4/2023: I tested the battery today, on a full charge it will last for 8 HOURS of continuous playback, I was way off......

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 127
The battery is not impressive on the air, I can listen for about 4-5 hours max. I will do a battery test soon and give you a more specific answer. The bluetooth range is also not good, dont expect to set your phone down and walk more than a few feet away without it cutting out. When connected to my computer I can walk into the other room about 10 feet away before it starts to cut out. It gives a nasty pop through the headphones when the battery is drained complety and it is best to try to avoid this all together by charging it when there is one bar left.

But the sound quality is amazing and worth the price in my opinion. It sounds significantly better than my Dethonray honey H1. I look forward to using it everyday and it would be the only thing I listened to if the battery could last as long as a quidlix 5k for example. My favorite pairing so far is the 6xx and the sony ier-m9. I have had it for about a month and it still has the wow factor everytime I use it. Amplify's review on youtube is the reason I bought it and I can say that his review is accurate.
Thanks a lot! So the conclusion is that its probably the best sounding portable dac/amp for the use with BT.
How is the power? There are some confusing informations about different output powers depending on the impedance of the headphones/iems.
Im using Softears Twilight which has impedance below 32 Ohms and seems like the Air will only output 50 mW. Sure its enough to power them but single DDs like more power and scale better with more power a source will deliver.
So im bit affraid that i will not utilise the full potential of the Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back