Are you happier now?
May 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
I have started this hobby with Sony 7506 $80 headphones thinking it should be better than Apple In-Ear.  Many headphones and many hundreds of dollars since I have went through.  I'm awaiting D7000 to arrive next week, which over 8 times the cost of what I started with.

I've seen plenty of Head-Fi'ers going through tons of headphones and gears.  Do you feel you're more content with what you have now than what you've started with?  As you go up in headphone foodchain, do you feel closer to your destination?

May 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 32
I think it's a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you will pick up gear that is supposedly the greatest thing since sliced bread and ends up being over hyped. But then again ever since I picked up my d5000's I've not really looked all that hard for any other gear. I still love my music and enjoy it more than ever.

Although upgraditis does bite every once in and a while and I end up with a new headphone somehow. XD

May 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 32
Am in a similar situation. First joined to simply ask about the modest sennheiser cx95, then ended up getting the IE8 and it all just builds up from there. Now I too am considering a D7000 purchase... tell me your thoughts on them and if they're worth it. 
popcorn.gif

Back to subject, YES am definitely happy with my purchases so far, problem is you know there's always something better... well maybe not the case with the D7000. Although I hope i don't have to regret a purchase, return policies these days are strict, especially in the UK. 
Does Headroom operate in the UK as well? Heard they have a great policy on that.

May 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 32
I am, considering where I started - a set of unamped HFI-780s, to the setup I have now.  Eliminated the spare gear sitting around by selling it to fund my finished rig; the only things left are a set of SRH-840s for work, and possibly an Audio-GD Power Conditioner.

May 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 32
Happy as a clam at the moment, for two reasons: I really enjoy music through good headphones and I'm one step closer to getting rid of upgraditis - currently debating if I really need an amp or not. Of course, I've never considered going for more than mid-fi.

May 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 32
What I was really wondering at the moment is that while the hardware got much better, I don't know if I'm listening to my music or my gear.

May 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 32
I've gone through that too, last year. Bough a bunch of headphones one after another until I got to my current gear. It made me stop listening to the headphones and getting back to the music. When I first listened to the HD558s, I had a magic moment when this happened. No adjusting to the sound, no unnatural coloration just.. nice sound. That's what I'd been looking for.

May 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
do you feel closer to your destination?

I've never considered there being any "destination" with this hobby, and I suppose that makes it more enjoyable for me. I've never expected to find the perfect headphone or other piece of kit because I know such a thing doesn't exist. Each new piece is just something different to enjoy.

May 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 32
it didn't made me happier

But I'm happy to enjoy this nice hobby and I've learned along the way that it's still about the music, at the end of the day
D7000's are a very nice pair of cans to have around, OP.

May 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 32
Definitely happier... I am at a higher level of fidelity and quality of reproduction, with both my headphones and speakers. Does it end here? Certainly not. There are many more things to upgrade, the source would probably be the first.

My gear is all pretty neutral, and doesn't really make that much noise when nothing is playing through it
tongue.gif
so I am most listening to the music rather than the gear, and loving every second of it.

May 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
What I was really wondering at the moment is that while the hardware got much better, I don't know if I'm listening to my music or my gear.

I think that it's fun to do both, as in listen to your music and your gear. It can be interesting to listen to the differences with different headphones. As an alternate yet more differentiable example, it can be interesting listening to the same song both live and recorded in a studio.

With that said, I always find myself rockin' out, not just sitting there in my chair listening to the music and thinking, "Well then, I do say that sounds quite fine."

I may be a noob at the gear and some of the science thrown around on this forum, but I sure know what's fun to me and what's not fun. If you're not having fun, then why dump money into it? 
tongue.gif

May 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
I have started this hobby with Sony 7506 $80 headphones thinking it should be better than Apple In-Ear.  Many headphones and many hundreds of dollars since I have went through.  I'm awaiting D7000 to arrive next week, which over 8 times the cost of what I started with.

I've seen plenty of Head-Fi'ers going through tons of headphones and gears.  Do you feel you're more content with what you have now than what you've started with?  As you go up in headphone foodchain, do you feel closer to your destination?

I'm completely happy with what I have now. Finally...

May 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm pretty damn satisfied with where I am now even if it isn't much, K240 Sextett LPs being driven by an Aune MKII.
I still do want a couple of other cans (HFI-580 & HE-4) & an EF5, but those can wait for now.

May 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
I'm pretty damn satisfied with where I am now even if it isn't much, K240 Sextett LPs being driven by an Aune MKII.
I still do want a couple of other cans (HFI-580 & HE-4) & an EF5, but those can wait for now.

With the majority of people using crappy audio equipment, your setup means a lot.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back