Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #121 of 969
SOMA, their latest game, is the only game to deliver in similar fashion.  Others have tried, but are typically left with B movie horror plots and generic atmosphere.  

I believe the game Lethe was inspired by amnesia. I watched a let's play of it and it looked good. Definitely not the scariest game I've seen.
Alien isolation can get really tense, but it doesn't strike me as horror as much as it strikes me as an action game.
Most of the games I see that are really good horror games are not triple-a releases and instead small indie games. Most triple-a horror games are also action games where you can fight back against your attackers. I'm watching a let's play of the evil within and it falls into this category. If you really want a good horror experience look for games where you cannot fight back as they tend to have the most tense and frightening gameplay.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #122 of 969
I believe the game Lethe was inspired by amnesia. I watched a let's play of it and it looked good. Definitely not the scariest game I've seen.
Alien isolation can get really tense, but it doesn't strike me as horror as much as it strikes me as an action game.
Most of the games I see that are really good horror games are not triple-a releases and instead small indie games. Most triple-a horror games are also action games where you can fight back against your attackers. I'm watching a let's play of the evil within and it falls into this category. If you really want a good horror experience look for games where you cannot fight back as they tend to have the most tense and frightening gameplay.

Playthrough videos are great, but I hate the ones with commentary. Absolutely cannot stand them.

I gave up trying to find movies, shows, and games that actually scare me.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #123 of 969
Playthrough videos are great, but I hate the ones with commentary. Absolutely cannot stand them.

I gave up trying to find movies, shows, and games that actually scare me.

Most of the time I watch playthroughs and let's plays is for the commentary and not the game. If there is a game I really want to play I'll just play it, but I love let's players like rooster teeth and markiplier. Rooster teeth is just hilarious. They play games and talk and the conversation is just like my friends and I have. They are kinda gross sometimes, and definitely not for everyone, but man are they funny. If you want to check them out this would be the best video to start with.
Rage Quit Surgeon Simulator:
https://youtu.be/Y2F3ZWEEbF4

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #124 of 969
Most of the time I watch playthroughs and let's plays is for the commentary and not the game. If there is a game I really want to play I'll just play it, but I love let's players like rooster teeth and markiplier. Rooster teeth is just hilarious. They play games and talk and the conversation is just like my friends and I have. They are kinda gross sometimes, and definitely not for everyone, but man are they funny. If you want to check them out this would be the best video to start with.

I used to love watching Lets Play videos. Me and a group of buddies used to watch them and sometimes snag the ones that looked most fun. I think we spent a couple nights playing the last olympics game over and over haha

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #125 of 969
I never understood the fascination with Let's Play videos.  Why not just play the game yourself and experience what was intended?

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #126 of 969
I never understood the fascination with Let's Play videos.  Why not just play the game yourself and experience what was intended?

I watch let's play videos for the comedy. If you watch the video I posted, you'd see that the people are what make them popular, not the game. Watching those two idiots (I say that with the utmost affection and love) rip that dude apart time after time is genuinely hilarious. There is a reason the video has 11 million views.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #127 of 969

I said I cannot stand the commentary (completely ruins the experience for me), so there's no way I'd watch that. Most of the people commenting sound extremely annoying too.

It's useful for games I don't yet have or am not sure whether I would want to play, and also for the sheer entertainment. Also good for finding out little secrets you didn't figure out on your own without reading through game guides. If it's a game I know I want to play, I play through it myself with no help, at least the first time.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #128 of 969

Never understood the appeal as well... But then again, I am not exactly the most comedy loving person either. 

Quote:

I said I cannot stand the commentary (completely ruins the experience for me), so there's no way I'd watch that. Most of the people commenting sound extremely annoying too.

It's useful for games I don't yet have or am not sure whether I would want to play, and also for the sheer entertainment. Also good for finding out little secrets you didn't figure out on your own without reading through game guides. If it's a game I know I want to play, I play through it myself with no help, at least the first time.

I usually just play through the game with no help. My mentality while playing is (this relates to the Myst series) if I am too stupid to solve the puzzles without a guide I don't deserve to move on... perhaps you can call me a purist or masochist... the choice is yours.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #129 of 969
  I usually just play through the game with no help. My mentality while playing is (this relates to the Myst series) if I am too stupid to solve the puzzles without a guide I don't deserve to move on... perhaps you can call me a purist or masochist... the choice is yours.

That reminds me of how I solved a puzzle in a game within minutes that the designer (or director? I dunno) himself couldn't solve!
cool.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #130 of 969

That reminds me of how I solved a puzzle in a game within minutes that the designer (or director? I dunno) himself couldn't solve!
cool.gif

That is pretty impressive! Have you played the Myst Series? 

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #131 of 969
  That is pretty impressive! Have you played the Myst Series? 

I think I actually have it in a box in the next room, but never played it. I have a number of PC games, and never got around to playing them. Don't even remember how I got some of them. Probably as gifts or something. I bought Silent Hill 3 for a really low price in a random store that mostly sold clothes (go figure), and although I haven't played it, I love the trip hop soundtrack CD that came with it!

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #132 of 969
I love video games. I love anime. However, I don't tend to like when they bleed into one another. Anime tropes and sensibilities tend to just irritate the hell out of me in video games. I don't know, it cheapens games to me.

Anime for the past few years has been a race to release the best Moe waifus. This was basically a niche genre back in the 90s. Now, it's 90% of what's being released. So when I see it occuring in video games, it is an instant turn off.

Now, you can't have a good anime, without some cheap ploy to peddle some doe-eyed Waifu who the hero happens to trip and latch on to her breast accidentally. This sort of nonsense has always been around, but now it's ALWAYS around.

Sorry for the semi rant. I don't even know how it got started. I guess with Fire Emblem. That new one which basically became Anime Pop Idol meets Fire Emblem triggers me so damn hard.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #133 of 969
I love video games. I love anime. However, I don't tend to like when they bleed into one another. Anime tropes and sensibilities tend to just irritate the hell out of me in video games. I don't know, it cheapens games to me.

Anime for the past few years has been a race to release the best Moe waifus. This was basically a niche genre back in the 90s. Now, it's 90% of what's being released. So when I see it occuring in video games, it is an instant turn off.

Now, you can't have a good anime, without some cheap ploy to peddle some doe-eyed Waifu who the hero happens to trip and latch on to her breast accidentally. This sort of nonsense has always been around, but now it's ALWAYS around.

Sorry for the semi rant. I don't even know how it got started. I guess with Fire Emblem. That new one which basically became Anime Pop Idol meets Fire Emblem triggers me so damn hard.

You should watch or read Tokyo ghoul. I haven't seen anything like that once. Sui Ishida took the manga very seriously and it shows in the writing.
Now on the topic of anime related games, has anyone seen yandere simulator? It has to be one of the funniest games I've ever seen. Someone animated markiplier playing it and it is one of the funniest things I've seen.
Links:
https://youtu.be/JlwCE7UHi88 (episode 1)
https://youtu.be/iKqX-P2gX7U (episode 2)

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #134 of 969

I think I actually have it in a box in the next room, but never played it. I have a number of PC games, and never got around to playing them. Don't even remember how I got some of them. Probably as gifts or something. I bought Silent Hill 3 for a really low price in a random store that mostly sold clothes (go figure), and although I haven't played it, I love the trip hop soundtrack CD that came with it!

If you get a chance to play the Myst series it is really worth it in my opinion, just the puzzles especially later on are brutally hard. I can't remember how many times I stopped playing because I couldn't move on and would refuse to check the solutions for even hints. Hahaha, I guess you never know where you will find a Silent Hill game 
biggrin.gif
. I am not surprised about the Soundtrack though, since the Silent Hill series has some incredible soundtracks, one of the best in the gaming genre to be honest. This one in particular. 

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/%E5%B1%B1%E5%B2%A1%E6%99%83/silent_hill_2__original_soundtrack/

Quote:

Which video game would you recommend that is more in line with a more traditional anime approach besides the Fire Emblem series and Final Fantasy? 

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #135 of 969

I wouldn't go so far as 90%. I mean, there are plenty of genres that don't have anything like that. (Says the alchemist with anime waifu avatar. lol)

Which video game would you recommend that is more in line with a more traditional anime approach besides the Fire Emblem series and Final Fantasy? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_based_on_anime_or_manga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_based_on_video_games

Also...the Final Fantasy video games have next to nothing to do with anime, despite the fact that later, Final Fantasy anime was made.

https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=Final+Fantasy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back