Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 25, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #91 of 968

For single player support I have no doubt, but multiplayer split screen not so much. We had difficultly with the split screen and only one of the controllers would work sometimes.  Also certain button controls for the second controller where different. It was just a mess. We eventually figured it out but it still was a pain since we had to play around with the settings every time we would restart the game.The console was smooth. You simply turn on the second controller and BOOM, you play, No fuss. PC it is a bit more complicated with patches and settings. Single player on the other hand, for PC left4dead 2 had so many add-ons and other cool content, it was pretty impressive.   

PC isn't more complicated with patches, since like console it's all automatically downloaded in clients like Steam and Origin, and you can actually disable automatic updating too.  And as far as settings go, you don't have to tweak them although it's of course best.  If you don't, you'd be left with the same settings as console, except for graphics settings which depends on your hardware since they auto configure.

But I suppose issues with split screen aren't as surprising, since split screen is mostly a console thing.  Although bugs in Valve games are extremely rare in general.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #92 of 968
  For single player support I have no doubt, but multiplayer split screen not so much. We had difficultly with the split screen and only one of the controllers would work sometimes.  Also certain button controls for the second controller where different. It was just a mess. We eventually figured it out but it still was a pain since we had to play around with the settings every time we would restart the game.The console was smooth. You simply turn on the second controller and BOOM, you play, No fuss. PC it is a bit more complicated with patches and settings. Single player on the other hand, for PC left4dead 2 had so many add-ons and other cool content, it was pretty impressive.   

It deeply saddens me that traditional split screen two player gameplay is all but dead now. Now online multiplayer dominates. There's no interaction with someone who's right next to you. Most of the time, there isn't even the option for that. I really wish more modern games would let us keep that feature. Nothing beats gaming with a friend by your side.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #93 of 968

It deeply saddens me that traditional split screen two player gameplay is all but dead now. Now online multiplayer dominates. There's no interaction with someone who's right next to you. Most of the time, there isn't even the option for that. I really wish more modern games would let us keep that feature. Nothing beats gaming with a friend by your side.

I remember one of the best gaming experiences I ever had was with my best friend playing Dark Souls for countless hours, back when we had the time. I will never forget that game and experience. All the frustrating hours of dying... Over and over again. The boss fights. The arguments... Controllers being thrown. It was intense to say the least. It got to the point where I opened the door for my friend to enter my apartment and he had this depressed look on his face, like oh we get to fight the same boss again... for the 100th time. Good times. I remember the feeling once we finally beat the game. We just sat there listening to the music in silence. And I think a big part of that was because we knew we probably wouldn't be able to do something like that again. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #94 of 968
  I remember one of the best gaming experiences I ever had was with my best friend playing Dark Souls for countless hours, back when we had the time. I will never forget that game and experience. All the frustrating hours of dying... Over and over again. The boss fights. The arguments... Controllers being thrown. It was intense to say the least. It got to the point where I opened the door for my friend to enter my apartment and he had this depressed look on his face, like oh we get to fight the same boss again... for the 100th time. Good times. I remember the feeling once we finally beat the game. We just sat there listening to the music in silence. And I think a big part of that was because we knew we probably wouldn't be able to do something like that again. 

One of my favorite two player moments was when my brother and I would try to run each other over in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (on PS1) to give ourselves an advantage.
biggrin.gif

PC gaming doesn't seem to have much of that. It's all about online multiplayer. But consoles are like that now too.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #95 of 968

Some games still have the split screen option. My favorite game to play split screen is the halo campaign. Especially when playing LASO or just on legendary in general. But someoto my favorite times playing video games was playing that campaign on Xbox live with my friends who id never met. I love the aspect that you can meet and enjoy playing with people whom you would never get to know otherwise, but there really isn't anything like playing side by side with one of your buddies, especially with a hard game.
I'm going to get halo 5 just before I leave for home just to play it split screen with my freind when I get home.
Maybe, because I'd also have to get a controller.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #96 of 968

Nothing beats gaming with a friend by your side.

Still common in PC gaming, just not with split screen (which was never common) but LAN multiplayer instead.  There's a tradeoff of course; split screen only requires one set of hardware including display and audio devices, while LAN multiplayer requires one PC + peripherals for each person.  The upside is not having to share a screen.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #97 of 968
Some games still have the split screen option.

Of course some do, but most don't.

Still common in PC gaming, just not with split screen (which was never common) but LAN multiplayer instead.  There's a tradeoff of course; split screen only requires one set of hardware including display and audio devices, while LAN multiplayer requires one PC + peripherals for each person.  The upside is not having to share a screen.

Yeah, that isn't really the same at all.

Now I'm thinking about how I used to make my own cheat codes with GameShark Pro on PS1. Even made characters fly and other stuff that you may not have guessed was possible to do in the game; certainly not anything originally programmed into it. But I've never heard of editing code to make a game multiplayer in the way you'd like. That would be interesting.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #98 of 968

One of my favorite two player moments was when my brother and I would try to run each other over in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (on PS1) to give ourselves an advantage.
biggrin.gif

PC gaming doesn't seem to have much of that. It's all about online multiplayer. But consoles are like that now too.

Tony Hawk... I remember playing that game all night when we had sleep overs with my friends, though I don't ever recall running each other over 
tongue.gif

Some games still have the split screen option. My favorite game to play split screen is the halo campaign. Especially when playing LASO or just on legendary in general. But someoto my favorite times playing video games was playing that campaign on Xbox live with my friends who id never met. I love the aspect that you can meet and enjoy playing with people whom you would never get to know otherwise, but there really isn't anything like playing side by side with one of your buddies, especially with a hard game.
I'm going to get halo 5 just before I leave for home just to play it split screen with my freind when I get home.
Maybe, because I'd also have to get a controller.

Seems like really difficult games are really fun playing split screen with a friend. I think every time we tried to beat a game on split screen it was always at an insane difficulty. Halo is also a great game for that! 

I just think consoles are more user friendly for playing a game in co-op/split screen mode. PC gaming seems a lonely place to me... 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #100 of 968

But I've never heard of editing code to make a game multiplayer in the way you'd like. That would be interesting.

Actually, this was done even on consoles to some extent.  Hacked CoD: MW2 servers and maybe BF3 servers.  Of course much more can be done on PC, especially moddable games.  Counter Strike and Natural Selection were originally mods for Half-Life.  You may be familiar with the former; a competitive military themed shooter with common game modes like Deathmatch.  The latter is a unique aliens vs marines multiplayer shooter with a one of a kind game mode and RTS elements, and different characters on each team with totally different gameplay.  Check out videos of each just to see how far multiplayer modding has gone.  

Red Orchestra (hardcore realism oriented WWII shooter series) and Killing Floor (survival co-op series) were originally mods for Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 (Sci-Fi competitive shooters with emphasis on deathmatch and CTF).  Then look at Mechwarrior Living Legends mod for Crysis Wars.  These games were all transformed into something totally different with mods, and these are just a few examples.

Quote:

I just think consoles are more user friendly for playing a game in co-op/split screen mode. PC gaming seems a lonely place to me... 
tongue_smile.gif

More Steam accounts than XBOX Live accounts, and more serious communities if you want to join them.  It's only lonely if you want it to be.

Tony Hawk discussion?  I was a massive fan of them.  Playing Pro Skater HD on PC is actually a surprisingly good experience save for the bugs (it's just not a polished game).  I found many advantages using keyboard.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #101 of 968
  Actually, this was done even on consoles to some extent.  Hacked CoD: MW2 servers and maybe BF3 servers.  Of course much more can be done on PC, especially moddable games.  Counter Strike and Natural Selection were originally mods for Half-Life.  You may be familiar with the former; a competitive military themed shooter with common game modes like Deathmatch.  The latter is a unique aliens vs marines multiplayer shooter with a one of a kind game mode and RTS elements, and different characters on each team with totally different gameplay.  Check out videos of each just to see how far multiplayer modding has gone.  

Red Orchestra (hardcore realism oriented WWII shooter series) and Killing Floor (survival co-op series) were originally mods for Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 (Sci-Fi competitive shooters with emphasis on deathmatch and CTF).  Then look at Mechwarrior Living Legends mod for Crysis Wars.  These games were all transformed into something totally different with mods, and these are just a few examples.

I assumed they existed; just didn't know of any specifically. What I would give for multiplayer versions of Final Fantasy VII & XIII-2!

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #102 of 968

The HD remake blew my mind. Some of the milestones were so challenging I couldn't come close to reaching them either. Looks like it was also released on PC!

I have to replay it again some day. I wonder if I would enjoy it as much as when I was a child?

Quote:

More Steam accounts than XBOX Live accounts, and more serious communities if you want to join them.  It's only lonely if you want it to be.

Tony Hawk discussion?  I was a massive fan of them.  Playing Pro Skater HD on PC is actually a surprisingly good experience save for the bugs (it's just not a polished game).  I found many advantages using keyboard.

I should lighten up towards PC gaming right? 
biggrin.gif
 One day... One day... 

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #103 of 968

I assumed they existed; just didn't know of any specifically. What I would give for multiplayer versions of Final Fantasy VII & XIII-2!

While those probably haven't been made, maybe there is a somewhat similar alternative out there you'd like.  

Another thing I love about PC gaming is that not only are the vast majority of classics easily obtainable legally (e.g. don't have to worry about a 1990s console dying on you), quite a few have been remade on newer engines while remaining 100% faithful.  Although we could still use more of this.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #104 of 968
Can you guys believe I have never played Final Fantasy before! 
blink.gif
 A little trivia game! who can guess this pc game? What a little gem of a game this was! 

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #105 of 968
  Can you guys believe I have never played Final Fantasy before! 
blink.gif
 A little trivia game! who can guess this pc game? What a little gem of a game this was! 

Final Fantasy is a large franchise, and by far my favorite. Many of the games are now available on PC in addition to consoles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_video_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia:_The_Dark_Descent
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back