Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 26, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #106 of 968

Final Fantasy is a large franchise, and by far my favorite. Many of the games are now available on PC in addition to consoles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_video_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia:_The_Dark_Descent
tongue.gif

Will have to give the series a try, I always wanted to play it but never really had the chance. Currently I am playing (on the 2DS) Fire Emblem: Awakening, is it similar to that? I really like the characters in that game though I play the no man left behind rules which make is slightly more difficult and time consuming. I made the guessing trivia thing to easy I see! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #107 of 968

Will have to give the series a try, I always wanted to play it but never really had the chance. Currently I am playing (on the 2DS) Fire Emblem: Awakening, is it similar to that? I really like the characters in that game though I play the no man left behind rules which make is slightly more difficult and time consuming. I made the guessing trivia thing to easy I see! 
biggrin.gif

Never played that one, but looking at screenshots, it would appear not.

Like I said, FF is a large franchise, so some of the games have different styles...but most of them share a similar style. I would recommend starting with VII, which to this day is regarded by many as the greatest video game of all time. I also really enjoy IX, XIII-2, VIII, IV, and Tactics Advance.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #108 of 968
  Can you guys believe I have never played Final Fantasy before! 
blink.gif
 A little trivia game! who can guess this pc game? What a little gem of a game this was! 

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is great, but you should see their other works (Penumbra and SOMA) which do a better job of bringing incredible storytelling to the forefront.  They all use the same gameplay formula, Penumbra was their first although Amnesia was their first real success.  Their games revolutionized the horror genre since so many are trying to copy them now.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #109 of 968
Fire Emblem has more in common with Final Fantasy tactics, than any standard Final Fantasy. That said, I loved the GBA Fire Emblem games, and Radiant Dawn for the Wii. The latter ones, not as much. It became anime weeaboo nonsense with waifu marriages, and whatnot.

I'm from a time when anime wasn't so copypasta, which now has spilled over into anime-esque games like FE: A and the newest ones.

I didn't hate FE: A, but the anime stuff was irritating. This is coming from an avid anime watcher.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #110 of 968
Fire Emblem has more in common with Final Fantasy tactics, than any standard Final Fantasy. That said, I loved the GBA Fire Emblem games, and Radiant Dawn for the Wii. The latter ones, not as much. It became anime weeaboo nonsense with waifu marriages, and whatnot.

I'm from a time when anime wasn't so copypasta, which now has spilled over into anime-esque games like FE: A and the newest ones.

I didn't hate FE: A, but the anime stuff was irritating. This is coming from an avid anime watcher.

I've seen many thousands of episodes of anime...and this made me giggle. Makes me want to look at the stuff you mentioned just to see how cheesy it is.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #111 of 968

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is great, but you should see their other works (Penumbra and SOMA) which do a better job of bringing incredible storytelling to the forefront.  They all use the same gameplay formula, Penumbra was their first although Amnesia was their first real success.  Their games revolutionized the horror genre since so many are trying to copy them now.

I played Penumbra before and I very much enjoyed that game as well, though I loved how complete Amnesia felt. The atmosphere, the music and the story line were amazing in my opinion and the multiple endings were really cool as well. Are there any modern adventure/horror games that have similar atmosphere out in 2016? 

I like the marriages part 
redface.gif
. I also like the humor and strategic depth involved, though this is my first Fire Emblem game so I don't have much knowledge of the series. I was thinking about getting into anime, but tried in the past and could never really get into it. I am a huge fan of graphic novels such as Sandman by Mr. Gaiman but never really knew where to start with anime, perhaps I would really like it.

I've seen many thousands of episodes of anime...and this made me giggle. Makes me want to look at the stuff you mentioned just to see how cheesy it is.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps you can recommend something for a novice then? 
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #113 of 968
I played Penumbra before and I very much enjoyed that game as well, though I loved how complete Amnesia felt. The atmosphere, the music and the story line were amazing in my opinion and the multiple endings were really cool as well. Are there any modern adventure/horror games that have similar atmosphere out in 2016? 

I like the marriages part :xf_eek: . I also like the humor and strategic depth involved, though this is my first Fire Emblem game so I don't have much knowledge of the series. I was thinking about getting into anime, but tried in the past and could never really get into it. I am a huge fan of graphic novels such as Sandman by Mr. Gaiman but never really knew where to start with anime, perhaps I would really like it.

Perhaps you can recommend something for a novice then? :wink:

For a horror game the new resident evil 7 demo and the outlast 2 demo both looked amazing! Wow they looked good, although the outlast 2 demo was a bit much for me. XD

As for manga reccomendations I reccomend reading the Tokyo Ghoul manga as it is still to this day the most amazing thing I've ever read.
As for actual anime reccomendations I reccomend DBZ (a good starter anime) Tokyo ghoul (one of the best animes I've seen, but completely outclassed in every way by the manga. If you will, the English subbed version is much better than the English dubbed version) naruto (lots of filler but if you can get past that it's really good) bleach (there are literal filler arks that don't effect the story whatsoever and can be completely skipped) and maybe seven deadly sins (read the manga and it's great, I've heard the anime isn't much different, but that may change.)
If you want manga recommendations just pm me, cause I've read tons.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #114 of 968

ahaha. My favorite anime are Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry), Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Death Note, and Soul Eater.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will pick one that I like best from the descriptions and post back my impressions. Looking forward to it! 

Quote:
For a horror game the new resident evil 7 demo and the outlast 2 demo both looked amazing! Wow they looked good, although the outlast 2 demo was a bit much for me. XD

As for manga reccomendations I reccomend reading the Tokyo Ghoul manga as it is still to this day the most amazing thing I've ever read.
As for actual anime reccomendations I reccomend DBZ (a good starter anime) Tokyo ghoul (one of the best animes I've seen, but completely outclassed in every way by the manga. If you will, the English subbed version is much better than the English dubbed version) naruto (lots of filler but if you can get past that it's really good) bleach (there are literal filler arks that don't effect the story whatsoever and can be completely skipped) and maybe seven deadly sins (read the manga and it's great, I've heard the anime isn't much different, but that may change.)
If you want manga recommendations just pm me, cause I've read tons.

Ahhh yes, Resident Evil another classic. Will have to check the demo out though, since I have not seen it yet. I will look for the Tokyo Ghoul manga next and make it my introduction, seems really interesting. Perhaps I will turn this weekend into a long manga and anime session! 

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #115 of 968
  Thanks for the recommendations. I will pick one that I like best from the descriptions and post back my impressions. Looking forward to it! 

Ahhh yes, Resident Evil another classic. Will have to check the demo out though, since I have not seen it yet. I will look for the Tokyo Ghoul manga next and make it my introduction, seems really interesting. Perhaps I will turn this weekend into a long manga and anime session! 

Since this thread is about video games, you'd be better off posting about anime and manga in the main thread for that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge

Back in 2014 I was one of the main posters there, but I haven't posted there since, mostly because it's a lot of work to keep up with, being the most active thread on the site. Feel free to PM me about anime and manga, anyway. My favorite manga is Rosario + Vampire.

Also, some of these series would take a long time to watch. My favorite anime has 64 episodes, for example.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #116 of 968
Since this thread is about video games, you'd be better off posting about anime and manga in the main thread for that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge

Back in 2014 I was one of the main posters there, but I haven't posted there since, mostly because it's a lot of work to keep up with, being the most active thread on the site. Feel free to PM me about anime and manga, anyway. My favorite manga is Rosario + Vampire.

Also, some of these series would take a long time to watch. My favorite anime has 64 episodes, for example.

For something a little smaller where you can just talk to me and Music Alchemist and such I have a thread reserved for off topic situations like this. It's called off topic (see where the name came from). If you think it would be better to go there first instead of jumping into the anime thread.
Link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817000/off-topic

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #117 of 968
For something a little smaller where you can just talk to me and @Music Alchemist and such I have a thread reserved for off topic situations like this. It's called off topic (see where the name came from). If you think it would be better to go there first instead of jumping into the anime thread.
Link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817000/off-topic

I think every thread needs a topic. Notice how all the off-topic conversations in threads remain in those threads instead of going to that one.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #119 of 968
Yes, but I find the thread convinient. It's either that or pm each other. Can you even have a group pm?

Practically every active thread goes off-topic from time to time, but you do have a point as far as continued conversation goes. Still, there are threads for every topic (and you can always make more), so I feel that if you're going to post a lot about a certain topic, it's best to do so in a thread dedicated to that topic.

You can PM multiple recipients, but some people (including myself) don't like that.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #120 of 968

SOMA, their latest game, is the only game to deliver in similar fashion.  Others have tried, but are typically left with B movie horror plots and generic atmosphere.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back