Are you a console or PC gamer?
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #481 of 969

Source games will probably always have it.  Dark Souls is not surprising, since they are meant primarily for console where LAN gaming is rare.  And what an annoying move by Blizzard for Overwatch.

The trend is not unlike the trend to restrict dedicated servers to paid rentals, like what Battlefield 1 does.  This is even more atrocious if anything, and as with the dropped LAN support it's a trend seen on console focused titles.

EA went even further with BF1. They dropped support for third-party hosting companies and server management software like ProCon. Now the seervers can be rented from EA only and server admins cannot manage the servers remotely and run custom scripts (such as auto-kick).

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #482 of 969

EA went even further with BF1. They dropped support for third-party hosting companies and server management software like ProCon. Now the seervers can be rented from EA only and server admins cannot manage the servers remotely and run custom scripts (such as auto-kick).

I remember that.  And BF1 players on PC are totally okay with it lol.  Even the ones who understand what they're missing out on.  Multiplayer gaming was so much better 10-15 years ago when the games were 100% moddable and servers 100% customizable, I have such great memories of those times even though I only saw the tail end of it.

A few great multiplayer games retain those capabilities, but many have very few players like Natural Selection 2 (my favorite PvP shooter in almost a decade), Rising Storm, even Insurgency has a small amount of players.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #483 of 969

I remember that.  And BF1 players on PC are totally okay with it lol.  Even the ones who understand what they're missing out on.  Multiplayer gaming was so much better 10-15 years ago when the games were 100% moddable and servers 100% customizable, I have such great memories of those times even though I only saw the tail end of it.

A few great multiplayer games retain those capabilities, but many have very few players like Natural Selection 2 (my favorite PvP shooter in almost a decade), Rising Storm, even Insurgency has a small amount of players.

Industry was much smaller back then and money didn't affect the decision making process as much. Which is ironic considering how easy it is now for indie developers to publish games compared to 15 years ago.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #484 of 969
This is loosely related, so I thought I'd mention it...

1edecb8c_espfulla2.png

This is the area to the right of my laptop. No room for a mouse at the moment. I'm gonna have to push everything back to use my mouse at all. It hurts my wrist/hand/fingers a lot less than the touchpad.

I think @Rhamnetin is the only other electrostat freak in this thread.
cool.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #485 of 969
  This is loosely related, so I thought I'd mention it...

1edecb8c_espfulla2.png

This is the area to the right of my laptop. No room for a mouse at the moment. I'm gonna have to push everything back to use my mouse at all. It hurts my wrist/hand/fingers a lot less than the touchpad.

I think @Rhamnetin is the only other electrostat freak in this thread.
cool.gif

bigger desk?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #487 of 969

It's all on a fairly large table that is bigger than most desks. I have no urge to get anything else right now. I can easily move that stuff further back at any time. I would just have to reach further to adjust the volume and so on. Or I could leave the amp where it is and move everything else.

That must mean you have more equipment than you can handle lol. If you have space to move the other stuff then I guess that works 
devil_face.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #488 of 969
  That must mean you have more equipment than you can handle lol. If you have space to move the other stuff then I guess that works 
devil_face.gif

heh. Read through my profile.
ph34r.gif

The photo shows less than half of the table. I could put the headphone stand and most of the electronics on or next to that black thing so it's still within reach.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #489 of 969
Yes it seems the days of the old Lan party are pretty much over. At least I have my moment in the sun - beating professional Korean Q3A players 3:1 in 5 straight matches. I'm not sure I could do that again.

I was kind of annoyed that Star citizen won't be getting dedicated servers: it would be kind of awesome to build a small ITX Shuttle PC, and have it set up as a server with an entire galaxy running in it. Elite Dangerous also had its offline play functionality taken out of the game.

I still play ESO PvP*, though there isn't a dedicated Australian/Asia server, so lag can be a big issue. I love the elder scrolls games, even though ESO was developed by Zeni they have done good work with it and kept with the Elder scrolls lore. On release it was the least bug ridden MMORPG experience in a decade. Bioware should be taking notes from their game development team.

* I have given up on Overwatch, the sheer number of underage/immature/idiotic players is profoundly annoying.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #490 of 969
All this online multiplayer talk has me thinking about this anime:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/14345/Btooom

Ryouta Sakamoto is unemployed and lives with his mother, his only real achievement being that he is Japan's top player of the popular online video game, "Btooom!" However, his peaceful life is about to change when he finds himself stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere, with a small, green crystal embedded in his left hand and no memory of how he got there. To his shock, someone has decided to recreate the game he is so fond of in real life, with the stakes being life or death.

Armed with a bag full of unique bombs known as "BIM," the players are tasked with killing seven of their fellow participants to obtain their green crystals, used as proof of their victory, in order to return home. Initially condemning any form of violence, Ryouta is forced to fight when he realizes that many of the other players are not as welcoming as they may seem. Teaming up with Himiko, a fellow Btooom! player who turns out to be his in-game wife, they attempt to get off of the island together, slowly coming closer and closer to the truth behind this contest of death.

The fact that the video game is about blowing other players up with bombs and it has the option to marry other players in-game is hilarious!

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #491 of 969
Mar 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #493 of 969
heh. When I saw it, I thought: The Hunger Games: Anime Edition. But Battle Royale came out long before that and was a decent movie. I've been meaning to watch the sequel.

There's a sequel? Must watch.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #495 of 969
Probably my favorite games ever, next would be withcer 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back