Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Dec 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 109
I'm a color head
wink_face.gif

Give me a little color in the mids and in the bass and up top - I'm good
biggrin.gif

Flat headphones are just boring to me..

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #32 of 109
To be honest, my ears have gotten numb over the differences which I now consider trivial. Anything-that-sounds-good head. I miss the HD600! I very much love how it presents music in a well-rounded way.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #35 of 109
Quote:
I'm an airhead.

I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.

I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).

Hmmmmm..............I'm going to restate my position.....................I think I am an Airhead!   LOL!

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #37 of 109
i guess im a flathead (i want deep bass, lively vocals, and textured detailed treble, and a very wide soundstage), but i use the eq to help get closer to that target.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #38 of 109
I guess I would say it depends on what headphone/ earbud im using. I have Shure srh 440's and although the bass isnt really there...I like it like that. Super bright highs... Makes me happy lol.

But in school... I have to drown out people around me with my Audio Technica anc23 noise cancelling earbuds...and I have to put bass up in order to do that...as I can hear little details if not....  So I guess you could say im both...a bass head ( though the genres of music I listen to... are mostly Neoclassical Darkwave, and Symphonic Metal) and a tremblehead.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #39 of 109
^ I notice you've put a strip of padding underneath your headband. I did something similar with my SRH440, except my solution is a bit less elegant than yours. I just velcroed some foam on there. Where did you get that nice strip of (p)leather-covered stuff?

Also, it's funny that my SRH440 is my bassy headphone. I'm quite thoroughly in the neutral-to-bright category, I guess, and find that the SRH440 lacks a lot of that typical closed-in feel you sometimes get with sealed headphones. They definitely have nicely-extended highs for what they are, and they're not shy about their treble, either.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #42 of 109
Quote:
I prefer neutral, but I'd still EQ it whenever I feel like it could help the music to maximize my enjoyment!

i see we have a lot in common then
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #44 of 109
Quote:
If I really like my Fostex TH-900, does that make me a flat head or a bass head? I definitely don't like anything that could be considered bass light.

probably a flathead, since you probably give a good amount of attention into detail,mids,treble and soundstage too,
....right? :p

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #45 of 109
I guess I'll have to consider myself a flathead. The Fostex TH-900 are wonderfully balanced without any faults I can think of. However, I still don't quite understand "soundstaging" since most things I listen to would probably be recorded in a studio with the instruments being recorded in isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back