Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Dec 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,
Just thought I would run an informal poll here, see what type of tonality people prefer and have some discussion.
No judgement. Just for fun!   
wink_face.gif

Just looking for opinions.
Please feel free to explain your choice, but this is optional (but we hope you do!)

Cheers,
Chris J

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 109
I'll start............um, I think I am a bit of a treblehead, I like AKG Q701 'phones and want to get a pair of Grado RS-2i 'phones.
Call me crazy.......
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 109
After getting the Moon Silver Dragon cable for the he-6's...definetly leaning towards some brightness.
It's bringing out detail in  my music ,that I've never heard before.

Also,been listening to the hd800's for the last 36 hours,I have to agree with what some say,..they do have a bit of brightness,overall an outstanding headphone,my next purchase ,for sure.

Happy Holidays to all.,& Good listening.
Mike

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 109
Voted wrong :S
Should show my support to midrange heads!!

But I guess 'audiophiles' would rather vote for flathead even though their cans of choice are balanced instead xP

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 109
Quote:
Voted wrong :S
Should show my support to midrange heads!!
But I guess 'audiophiles' would rather vote for flathead even though their cans of choice are balanced instead xP

Oh well!   LOL!

Thanks for voting and posting!

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 109
Midrange head for sure. Being a classic jazz lover (50's and 60's), I prefer the mids to be a little hotter than the rest. Whether it's vocals or an instrument solo, there always seems to be something or someone at the forefront, and forward mids help "feature" that soloist. Don't get me wrong, bass is extremely important, as it is the foundation of the music, but there is a huge difference between a stand up acoustic bass and a thumping electric bass in other genres. But I like the bass to be smooth and clear, not boomy or punchy. Same wih treble - smooth and easy, even rolled off a bit. For jazz, warm full midrange is key!

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 109
It all depends on the genre of music I'm listening to. I would say that if I had to choose it would be midrange with a slight elevation on the bass side.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 109
Midhead all the way. That's why I consider the CD900STs to be some of the finest headphones ever created. Even the big boys ($700+ headphones) fail to measure up to them in this regard.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 109
I am a basshead. I can't live without EQ-ing and bass boost amps.

As 90% of my music is EDM, I feel that the extra bass body gives the music a lot of life and energy. I generally like darker sounding cans, so I don't like too much treble sparkle in my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back