Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Dec 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 109
I used to be a basshead, but as of lately I am liking everything. I'm really starting to pay attention to the upper range because this is usually where issues of reproduction occur.(from what I can gather)

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #18 of 109
I used to be a basshead, but now flathead is a better description of me. The feeling of being able to hear the almost harsh treble, but still feel some boomy bass with the midrange to connect the two, it's ideal.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 109
I'm a self proclaimed detail junkie and I like an overall neutral and analytical sound. I like my Q701 with a very slight 2db (sometimes 4db with electronic music) bass boost, this to me makes them sound pretty neutral/natural. I also listen to them in the area of 75-80 db on average so the little bass boost helps. On my Vsonic GR01 IEM's I use them flat right out of my iPhone 4. They sound just like the Q701 does with the small bass boost applied, but of course with a much smaller soundstage, and with almost etymotic like isolation. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 109
My ideal curve right now (as my preferences may change over time) looks roughly like:

Take the typical more highend headphone curve like Hifiman HE-500 but with a ~8dB bass boost (like adding +5dB to hifiman HE500 as I concider bass through lower-mids also emphasized on that headphone a little to begin with versus treblerange) centered around 80Hz and should be curved to drop off at least by around 200Hz and also roll off down deep to give a more punchy/impactful hit and faster decay.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 109
Quote:
It all depends on the genre of music I'm listening to. I would say that if I had to choose it would be midrange with a slight elevation on the bass side.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #24 of 109
Nice thread Chris! 

'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!

I voted flathead because I like to hear music "as is" - whatever that means given the mixing, compressing etc that goes on!

I guess this means I value transparency, neutrality and detail as ideals but probably not achievables :wink:

Best of the season to everyone!!

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 109
I would have said "flathead" except for the part about not EQ'ing anything. And I didn't pick the EQ choice in the poll because I don't EQ willy-nilly. It's a very precise process I use. That said, neutrality is very important to me, and there's only so much that EQ can realistically accomplish, so it's best to start with headphones that are already quite flat through the lower treble.

Needless to say, I picked the "something else" choice.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 109
I love the idea of this thread.  I guess I'm a flat head because I look for flat EQ cans but I would much rather own cans like the 701 with a slight tremble boost than cans with stronger bass.  I absolutely HATE using EQ to change the sound of equipment.  It makes me feel like I'm cheating and if I don't like the sound signature of headphones then I shouldn't have bought them.  

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #30 of 109
I'm an airhead.

I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.

'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!

I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back