Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
Oct 6, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #76 of 260
I'm still kinda formulating my thoughts, but I think I have enough of an opinion to share.

To be honest, my first impression was mild disappointment. That may well be because my expectations were unrealistic, but still... I had hoped that the 177x would have the hyped, punchy bass of the DT-1770s but without the harshness that some people perceived in the high end. Long story short, I feel like the 177x succeeded in removing the harshness of the DT-1770s high end, but I was disappointed in the bass. The bass is certainly there, and it is well defined, but I wanted more.

I think I probably feel much the same way as D3adhead. I think I was expecting the same powerful low end that people reported with the 1770s. I wanted that subtle exaggeration. As I mentioned, the bass is well defined, but I wanted more. The low end on the 177x reminded me more of the Sennheiser HD600s. When compared to the Beyer 770s, the low end elements in the 177x were better defined, but the 770s had more low end. Compared to the 177x, the bass from the 770s seemed mushier and blobby, but there was more of it.

Now this may just be me, but I feel like I have to mention that the bass response changes significantly depending on exactly how I wear them. If I place them on my head like I would any other headphone, with my ears comfortably in the center of the pads, I find the low end slightly lacking, as described above. However, if I push the phones slightly forward, such that the back of my ears touches the back rims of the pads, I seem to magically find 90% of that hyped low end I was looking for. What? So am I destined to keep these headphones and just wear them all janky? Maybe.

The 177x are good headphones. That is easily said. I enjoy listening to them. But they didn't totally live up to my expectations, realistic or not. Will I keep them? Yeah, I think so.

Other than sound:
I should also add that the cable feels cheap. Bummer. It's also a little long to be used with one's phone, but too short for comfortable desktop use. For a headphone of this price, they can either throw in two cables or one really nice one. That's just silly.

As expected, it is easily powered by my iPhone 8+. I only bring it up because someone mentioned that they were hard to power despite being only 32 Ohm.
Thanks for sharing! I do have to agree, the bass is nice but it is a bit weak. I think they actually have a little less midbass but more subbass than my HD6XX, and more mid bass but less subbass than the H6. So compared to those two this one is probably the lightest sounding in the bass department BUT as you said the bass is well defined. Compared to the other two, it has the tightest and most detailed bass. Sometimes it’s just hard to make it out. I’m still using the velour pads.

I’ve spent more time comparing. Mids, clearly the HD6XX is best here but the 177X has nice mids and they do a good job rounding out the music, and again the mids have nice detail. Slightly warm and sweet sounding, a little less natural than the HD6XX. With the H6, on some songs when I compare them, it’s a little shocking how much is missing in the low mids, and vocals can sound quite thin.

I like the treble here but I feel like it could be a little smoother for the price, I think. By that, I mean, the transition from upper mids to treble is a little off sometimes and vocals sometimes cross the line into treble territory. But very rarely do these get hot sounding. The HD6XX and H6 do have smoother and more natural sounding treble. The HD6XX lacks some energy necessary for some music. The H6 has nice extension and sparkle but they can sound a bit brighter sometimes in a different kind of way, I think in relation to their slightly lean sound and the lack of midbass and low mids taking away some richness. The slightly warm tilt of the 177X keeps them from sounding like a bright headphone but they have the most treble and again the most detail.

I am very happy with these and they’re probably the last closed back I’ll need, but I can understand the $450 price making these harder to sell. If they came with everything the 1770 did then absolutely. All that’s missing is those extra accessories. A case would’ve been nice. And agreed on the cable.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #77 of 260
A brief addendum to my mini-review (and a note to everyone that found the bass to be a bit light on the DT-177x Go):

When I transcribed my thoughts the other day, I hadn't yet switched the pads. My previous review only applies to the velour pads that come installed with the DT-177x Go.

When I switched to the (p)leather pads, I immediately found the hyped low end frequency response I had been looking for all that time. I felt so stupid. With the (p)leather pads, everything under 200hz filled out. The sub-bass (under 80hz) was as plain as day and right up front. The high-end detail was still there, but relaxed and easy.

The only drawback that I found was that the soundstage narrowed slightly. I perceived it as a 10-15% narrowing of the overall soundfield. The (p)leather pads offer a slightly more intimate experience, but at least for me, that is more than an adequate trade-off to have that beautiful, full, taut bass that I had expected of an update to the DT-1770 Pros.

Seriously, if you feel like the low end on the 177x Go is a little light, switch the pads and give them another listen before you give up on them. I'm shocked at the difference the (p)leather pads made. These are the headphones I was hoping for when I purchased them.

On a side note, the process of switching out the pads isn't fun. It isn't impossible or anything, but they do make you work for it. The pads have a lip that wraps around a mounting ring that attaches to the headphones. I have other headphones with similar mounting assemblies and all of them make me feel like I am going to break the plastic mounting ring when I remove it.

Especially if you don't want to scuff and scratch your headphones, try to find some sort of plastic tool to use as a wedge to pry it apart. I used plastic cuticle pusher (you know, for doing fingernails) to do mine. Once the mounting ring pops off, the pads come off of the ring easily. Getting the new pads on the ring is also really fiddly. Make sure you hold the pad lip onto the mounting ring 180 degrees from where you are trying to stretch the lip over the ring. There is a notch on the ring where you are supposed to slide the pad lip onto the ring, but I found that it only works for like 270 degrees of the pad. When you replace the newly padded mounting ring into the headphone assembly, note that there are tiny ridges on the ring that match little notches in the headphone assembly, indicating how to orient the ring when you push it back on.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #79 of 260
A brief addendum to my mini-review (and a note to everyone that found the bass to be a bit light on the DT-177x Go):

When I transcribed my thoughts the other day, I hadn't yet switched the pads. My previous review only applies to the velour pads that come installed with the DT-177x Go.

When I switched to the (p)leather pads, I immediately found the hyped low end frequency response I had been looking for all that time. I felt so stupid. With the (p)leather pads, everything under 200hz filled out. The sub-bass (under 80hz) was as plain as day and right up front. The high-end detail was still there, but relaxed and easy.

The only drawback that I found was that the soundstage narrowed slightly. I perceived it as a 10-15% narrowing of the overall soundfield. The (p)leather pads offer a slightly more intimate experience, but at least for me, that is more than an adequate trade-off to have that beautiful, full, taut bass that I had expected of an update to the DT-1770 Pros.

Seriously, if you feel like the low end on the 177x Go is a little light, switch the pads and give them another listen before you give up on them. I'm shocked at the difference the (p)leather pads made. These are the headphones I was hoping for when I purchased them.

On a side note, the process of switching out the pads isn't fun. It isn't impossible or anything, but they do make you work for it. The pads have a lip that wraps around a mounting ring that attaches to the headphones. I have other headphones with similar mounting assemblies and all of them make me feel like I am going to break the plastic mounting ring when I remove it.

Especially if you don't want to scuff and scratch your headphones, try to find some sort of plastic tool to use as a wedge to pry it apart. I used plastic cuticle pusher (you know, for doing fingernails) to do mine. Once the mounting ring pops off, the pads come off of the ring easily. Getting the new pads on the ring is also really fiddly. Make sure you hold the pad lip onto the mounting ring 180 degrees from where you are trying to stretch the lip over the ring. There is a notch on the ring where you are supposed to slide the pad lip onto the ring, but I found that it only works for like 270 degrees of the pad. When you replace the newly padded mounting ring into the headphone assembly, note that there are tiny ridges on the ring that match little notches in the headphone assembly, indicating how to orient the ring when you push it back on.
Interesting! Do you find it has any affect on the midrange? Does it lessen the treble? I’ve liked the sound enough with the velours and because of how difficult changing the pads seems I haven’t tried. Zeos recommended a specific pair of Brainwavz pads when he reviewed these.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #81 of 260
I changed pads to boost bass, thanks to Grayven for the recommendation. I'm using the Brainwavz Angled Ear Pads.

As for changing the pads, I tried the recommended way, as described by MARK27 above. Removing the old pads was easy but adding the new pads was a different story. After 20 minutes of going nowhere, I decided to approach the problem differently.
I popped out the outer plastic ring that holds the pad in place, I used flathead screwdriver but I would think a butter knife would work just as well. I used as little force as possible, aware that too much could break the plastic.
Once the plastic ring piece was off, I put the new pad on, making sure that the lip of the pad's plastic just went over the edge of the removed plastic ring. Then I reattached it, It snaps back easily but one has to align the removed outer plastic ring correctly; there is a very small insert hole in the headphone that matches a small plug in the ring that have to match exactly.
I should have taken pictures, sorry.

Anyway it was relatively easy and took about five minutes, just be careful not to break anything, and watch how you put it back together, it should snap completely tightly so there is only that small space between the two pad holding rings.

Hope this helps someone, but... not responsible if you break your headphones :smile_phones:

As for the sonic differences, the new pads seemed to bring out sub-bass and boost bass somewhat. Didn't notice much difference in the mids or highs. Isolation is much better.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #82 of 260
I changed pads to boost bass, thanks to Grayven for the recommendation. I'm using the Brainwavz Angled Ear Pads.

As for changing the pads, I tried the recommended way, as described by MARK27 above. Removing the old pads was easy but adding the new pads was a different story. After 20 minutes of going nowhere, I decided to approach the problem differently.
I poped out the outer plastic ring that holds the pad in place, I used flathead screwdriver but I would think a butter knife would work just as well. I used as little force as possible, aware that to much could break the plastic.
Once the plastic ring piece was off, I put the new pad on, making sure that the lip of the pad's plastic just went over the edge of the removed plastic ring. Then I reattached it, It snaps back easily but one has to align the removed outer plastic ring correctly; there is a very small insert hole in the headphone that matches a small plug in the ring that have to match exactly.
I should have taken pictures, sorry.

Anyway it was relatively easy and took about five minutes, just be careful not to break anything, and watch how you put it back together, it should snap completely tightly so there is only that small space between the two pad holding rings.

Hope this helps someone, but... not responsible if you break your headphones :smile_phones:

As for the sonic differences, the new pads seemed to bring out sub-bass and boost bass somewhat. Didn't notice much difference in the mids or highs. Isolation is much better.
yup changing pads is a pain.
those pads make the headphones so much better imo...better comfort too.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #84 of 260
Interesting! Do you find it has any affect on the midrange? Does it lessen the treble? I’ve liked the sound enough with the velours and because of how difficult changing the pads seems I haven’t tried.

I didn't notice much change in the midrange per se, but the difference in bass presence is so intense that it is just an entirely different experience. While I don't totally agree with the description, I absolutely understand why Alfredo3001 felt that the bass became "booming and loose." The low-end with the (p)leather pads is presented as absolutely front and center.

The change in soundstage could certainly be perceived as a lessening of the treble, but to me the difference in treble seemed more about the narrowing in soundstage. I don't know. That may totally be a difference in subjective description. Certainly just moving the bass up in presentation could also be perceived as a lessening of the treble. Changing the pads really changes the character of the headphone. The (p)leather pads will probably only be enjoyed by the serious bass heads.

Zeos recommended a specific pair of Brainwavz pads when he reviewed these.

He did, but it should be noted that he described the improvement mostly in terms of the changes to the high end and soundstage. He also mentioned that because the Brainwaves pads moved the drivers farther away from your ears, it caused the low end to step even further back in the presentation. So yeah, if a big, wide soundstage presentation is what butters your muffin, then go for the Brainwaves pads. However, those of us that were wrestling with the low end being lighter than we expected will likely be further disappointed by the Brainwaves pads.

I popped out the outer plastic ring that holds the pad in place, I used flathead screwdriver but I would think a butter knife would work just as well. I used as little force as possible, aware that too much could break the plastic.

Just to clear up any confusion for anybody, I think we were talking about exactly the same thing. I talked about removing the mounting ring with the cuticle pusher, you mentioned popping out "the plastic ring that holds the pad" with a screwdriver. We both mentioned the bits on the "mounting ring/ring that holds the pad in place" that indicate how to "align/orient" it to replace it back into the headphone assembly.

The only difference is that you used a screwdriver and I used a cuticle pusher, but I think we both described "the recommended way."

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #85 of 260
Thanks for clarifying, MARK27.
I saw a video review of changing pads on the non Massdrop version of these cans, and they struggled with forcing the lip of the pads between the rings. I think that is the recommended way per the old owners manual pdf of the original Beyer cans.

Our way is much easier. :)

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #86 of 260
I didn't notice much change in the midrange per se, but the difference in bass presence is so intense that it is just an entirely different experience. While I don't totally agree with the description, I absolutely understand why Alfredo3001 felt that the bass became "booming and loose." The low-end with the (p)leather pads is presented as absolutely front and center.

The change in soundstage could certainly be perceived as a lessening of the treble, but to me the difference in treble seemed more about the narrowing in soundstage. I don't know. That may totally be a difference in subjective description. Certainly just moving the bass up in presentation could also be perceived as a lessening of the treble. Changing the pads really changes the character of the headphone. The (p)leather pads will probably only be enjoyed by the serious bass heads.

He did, but it should be noted that he described the improvement mostly in terms of the changes to the high end and soundstage. He also mentioned that because the Brainwaves pads moved the drivers farther away from your ears, it caused the low end to step even further back in the presentation. So yeah, if a big, wide soundstage presentation is what butters your muffin, then go for the Brainwaves pads. However, those of us that were wrestling with the low end being lighter than we expected will likely be further disappointed by the Brainwaves pads.

Just to clear up any confusion for anybody, I think we were talking about exactly the same thing. I talked about removing the mounting ring with the cuticle pusher, you mentioned popping out "the plastic ring that holds the pad" with a screwdriver. We both mentioned the bits on the "mounting ring/ring that holds the pad in place" that indicate how to "align/orient" it to replace it back into the headphone assembly.

The only difference is that you used a screwdriver and I used a cuticle pusher, but I think we both described "the recommended way."
Appreciate your response. Was just curious mostly, I like the way these sound with the velours and don’t find the bass lacking enough to want to experiment with pad swapping; especially since it’s kind of a pain to do on these headphones lol

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #87 of 260
Thanks for clarifying, MARK27.
I saw a video review of changing pads on the non Massdrop version of these cans, and they struggled with forcing the lip of the pads between the rings. I think that is the recommended way per the old owners manual pdf of the original Beyer cans.

Our way is much easier. :)

Oh wow, you're right! The 1770 Pro owners manual doesn't suggest removing the mounting ring. In that case, I'd suggest that people do it the recommended way and not listen to me. I'm just some asshole on the internet. :zipper_mouth:

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #88 of 260
"

I just ordered the brainwavz pads Zeos suggested because I was under the impression it would reduce some of the warmth and improve the detail and treble along with the soundstage - am I correct in thinking this? I could only force myself to watch part of his video so I was mostly getting my info from drop reviews. I also bought them because the velour pads offer such a poor seal on my left side. now I'm thinking I've made a good comfort/fit choice but a poor sound choice. any insights?

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #89 of 260
I just ordered the brainwavz pads Zeos suggested because I was under the impression it would reduce some of the warmth and improve the detail and treble along with the soundstage - am I correct in thinking this? I could only force myself to watch part of his video so I was mostly getting my info from drop reviews. I also bought them because the velour pads offer such a poor seal on my left side. now I'm thinking I've made a good comfort/fit choice but a poor sound choice. any insights?

Yes, you are correct. According to Z, the Brainwaves pads will increase the distance from driver to ear, easing up the low end while increasing soundstage and (perceived) detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back