Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
Sep 24, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #46 of 260
I thought the HD660S were, from the Amazon descriptive text:

"The HD 660 S employs newly designed transducers featuring extremely lightweight aluminum voice coils coupled to diaphragms precision crafted from stainless steel fabric."

Not, certainly, the difference between silk and metallic dome tweeters, but perhaps not entirely dissimilar in all respects.

But yes, having different headphones, and amps, does allow different views into the same musical universe. Good, clean fun.

HD800S and LCD-3f are, historically at least, TOTL and very much reference class devices in their own continua. So, for that matter are the HD600/650, so we keep talking about them, even now.

I just shared the DT177x with my partner, a devotee of DT1990, and she was amazed and enthralled, tracks from Ott and Shpongle. She hated my Audeze.:)

Just looking at the membranes and it's obvious it's some sort of plastic. With the HD 660 S I think it's referring to the rear of the driver capsule and the venting system where there appears to be a metal mesh instead of the paper on the HD 600/650, seems to have the same multi-layer membrane as the HD 600/650. The membranes look almost exactly like the HD 600/650 ones, mostly clear but slightly opaque. The DT 1770/1990/Amiron Home have a big magnet with a large hole, with blue plastic capsule and paper venting around the driver, plus also a dampening cap on the rear of the driver with a rubber wahser to connect the rear of the driver to the housing. The T1 uses essentially the same magnet but machined aluminum capsule instead of blue plastic and the membrane is attached to the aluminum and some sort of fabric mesh covering and surrounding the front of driver instead of paper. The tesla's use a triple layer membrane if I recall right.

Not saying they are completely different but they do have some inherent traits due to the material.

I have heard the HD 800 S and the LCD-3(non fazor), but never long enough to get any solid impressions.

I hope to get the chance to hear the DT 177X sometime soon, but I recently got the T1.2 Black so no headphone purchases anytime soon for me.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #47 of 260
Just looking at the membranes and it's obvious it's some sort of plastic. With the HD 660 S I think it's referring to the rear of the driver capsule and the venting system where there appears to be a metal mesh instead of the paper on the HD 600/650, seems to have the same multi-layer membrane as the HD 600/650. The membranes look almost exactly like the HD 600/650 ones, mostly clear but slightly opaque. The DT 1770/1990/Amiron Home have a big magnet with a large hole, with blue plastic capsule and paper venting around the driver, plus also a dampening cap on the rear of the driver with a rubber wahser to connect the rear of the driver to the housing. The T1 uses essentially the same magnet but machined aluminum capsule instead of blue plastic and the membrane is attached to the aluminum and some sort of fabric mesh covering and surrounding the front of driver instead of paper. The tesla's use a triple layer membrane if I recall right.

Not saying they are completely different but they do have some inherent traits due to the material.

I have heard the HD 800 S and the LCD-3(non fazor), but never long enough to get any solid impressions.

I hope to get the chance to hear the DT 177X sometime soon, but I recently got the T1.2 Black so no headphone purchases anytime soon for me.

Interesting. Senn's own descriptive text is in line with your observations:

"The HD 660 S features a new transducer design developed by Sennheiser. This results in improved control of the diaphragm movements thanks to a specially manufactured precision stainless steel fabric, which is adapted to the contour of the diaphragm."

However it works, it works very well.

However, I must say, even in such an illustrious stable, this new DT177x is a quite impressive performer.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 260
Interesting. Senn's own descriptive text is in line with your observations:

"The HD 660 S features a new transducer design developed by Sennheiser. This results in improved control of the diaphragm movements thanks to a specially manufactured precision stainless steel fabric, which is adapted to the contour of the diaphragm."

However it works, it works very well.

However, I must say, even in such an illustrious stable, this new DT177x is a quite impressive performer.
They're working on a balanced cable too. Kinda curious to try that out. I just hope the price isn't too high...

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #50 of 260
After a couple hours, these are definitely keepers. Already ordered a carrying case so I can take them to work.

I haven’t tried the lamb skin pads: the velours are decently comfortable. Has anyone tried the lamb skins yet? Interested to know what the sound differences are. I am hearing a little bit of that Beyer peak/artificial treble but it sounds toned down quite a bit. Wondering if the sheepskins make a difference. I don’t want them to be brighter!

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #51 of 260
After a couple hours, these are definitely keepers. Already ordered a carrying case so I can take them to work.

I haven’t tried the lamb skin pads: the velours are decently comfortable. Has anyone tried the lamb skins yet? Interested to know what the sound differences are. I am hearing a little bit of that Beyer peak/artificial treble but it sounds toned down quite a bit. Wondering if the sheepskins make a difference. I don’t want them to be brighter!

Definitely keepers. :D

I like the sheepskins, but I'm generally fond of sheepskins, when they don't foul things up. These don't, I think.

Sep 25, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #53 of 260
i’d love it if anyone can offer a comparison with these and the mdr-7520s. i’ve been waiting months for these to come out so i can replace the sonys (sadly their mechanical issues have rendered them unusable) and i’m dying to know if anyone can offer some insights.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #54 of 260
I just received mine. the texturing on the earcups is in fact different from the dt1770, it's completely smooth, and oddly enough the earcups feel slightly lighter/cheaper. The bass and particularly the bass impact is also much lighter than the dt1770. Also for being 32ohm they are still not drivable from my phone. The impedance is actually not as hugely different in terms of drivability as I thought it to be. The lower treble and mids do feel slightly filled out compared to the dt1770. Because of this to me, I actually feel like I hear more treble, but very slightly less sibilance. However, I'm not sure if I can tell but there seems to be a drop in detail retrieval. These are just a couple quick observations. If anyone else can either confirm or deny my sound observations it wold serve as some confirmation that I'm not crazy.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #55 of 260
I just received mine. the texturing on the earcups is in fact different from the dt1770, it's completely smooth, and oddly enough the earcups feel slightly lighter/cheaper. The bass and particularly the bass impact is also much lighter than the dt1770. Also for being 32ohm they are still not drivable from my phone. The impedance is actually not as hugely different in terms of drivability as I thought it to be. The lower treble and mids do feel slightly filled out compared to the dt1770. Because of this to me, I actually feel like I hear more treble, but very slightly less sibilance. However, I'm not sure if I can tell but there seems to be a drop in detail retrieval. These are just a couple quick observations. If anyone else can either confirm or deny my sound observations it wold serve as some confirmation that I'm not crazy.

Doesn’t actually surprise me. Lower impedance Beyers have lower detail retrieval and speed if using the same driver design. The higher impedance variants have lighter voice coils thus less mass to move which makes for a quicker more responsive driver. This only really applies to Beyers, it may not be the same for other manufacturers. The different impedance variants also sometimes like different amps and dacs in a way you may not expect in my experience.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #56 of 260
839D1E7A-B562-49F9-B71C-18D0613779C9.jpeg
I’m loving my pair so far. Definitely the bed closed phone I’ve tried so far and the last one I need probably. But I’m a bit disappointed...I noticed this just today. The left side of the headband seems to be sewn improperly. Small types of things like this bother me a little and it is a bit disappointing considering the cost...I’ve reached out to Drop, but I don’t know what they do in this type of situation. Hope I don’t have to part with them for too long if I need to exchange for a new pair or send them for repair :frowning2:

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #57 of 260
I’m loving my pair so far. Definitely the bed closed phone I’ve tried so far and the last one I need probably. But I’m a bit disappointed...I noticed this just today. The left side of the headband seems to be sewn improperly. Small types of things like this bother me a little and it is a bit disappointing considering the cost...I’ve reached out to Drop, but I don’t know what they do in this type of situation. Hope I don’t have to part with them for too long if I need to exchange for a new pair or send them for repair :frowning2:
Have you tried the regular 1770? Just out of curiosity? If that headband like that really bothers you it's a very easy fix that is inherent to that headband style across beyers. The fix is just to unscrew the two screws and remove the two covers and pull the headband down a little then reclamp the two sides over the headband. Personally I replace all of them with much better real leather headbands that are comfier and longer lasting along with better slider covers. since the ones on there are extremely week and pretty much doomed to fail, even weaker than the notoriously fragile 770.
IMG_20190925_1938168.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #58 of 260
Have you tried the regular 1770? Just out of curiosity? If that headband like that really bothers you it's a very easy fix that is inherent to that headband style across beyers. The fix is just to unscrew the two screws and remove the two covers and pull the headband down a little then reclamp the two sides over the headband. Personally I replace all of them with much better real leather headbands that are comfier and longer lasting along with better slider covers. since the ones on there are extremely week and pretty much doomed to fail, even weaker than the notoriously fragile 770.
Should there be any cause for concern? They've given me the option to send it back for a replacement but I don't want to damage it and then they would say that I caused the defect and be in a worse situation.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #60 of 260
No cause for concern as far as I'm aware. It's something typical that happens with these phones headbands because the headband is too short.
Got it thank you! Unfortunately I don’t have the kind of screwdriver required but I might just go get one instead of deal with the hassle of returning and just try to fix myself.

One other thing I was kind of curious about; i was testing cable durability and the input Jack and noticed I was able to twist it to the left while inserted just slightly with a little force. Slight twist back to the right locked it. I think this moves the pocket that holds the 4 pins. Having done this wouldn’t affect the sound quality in any way right? Sorry if that’s a dumb question...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back