Are Tube Amps better than Solid State Amps?
Jan 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 95
Even if not overdriven, you get the swirling fluid sound with tubes. Yes Hendrix like tubes and knew which ones he wants to overdrive. The RCA black plate 5751 was a favorite.

Tubes done right, which often is not done, can sound and do anything you want. The heart of a tube amp is the transformer. Give me good/great iron, and anything can be done.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 95
I don't like tube amps. You have to roll the tubes. Tubes are expensive specially the old ones. They can hum. They get hot. Tubes fail.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 95
You don't have to roll anything if you know your tubes. That all does take a lot of reading or experience, of which I have done both. Tube amps are only as good or bad as they are made and who is using them.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 95
To answer the original question:  No, but it depends.

Transistors were made to overcome the shortcomings of tube amplifiers. Hence, from a technical point of view, and depending on whether you agree on what constitutes an improvement in technology, Transistors are better, so they're used in almost all types of amplifiers today.

Since the use of amplifiers is varied, and music amplifiers belongs to the hobby/recreational category, the definitions of what's good and whats not are varied. 

In that respect, it depends on what you think defines a good amplifier. For example, a tube amp may be bad for a phone signal amplifier.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 95
Quote:
I don't like tube amps. You have to roll the tubes. Tubes are expensive specially the old ones. They can hum. They get hot. Tubes fail.
wink.gif

They smell as well :)

Only joking!

These days I do really go first to solid state amps and I believe that the very best amplification can be solid state, however the very best amplification could also be with valves ("tubes" in US) or, of course, hybrid.

I have been told the Chinese have a saying: "It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice".

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 95
Quote:

Only joking!

These days I do really go first to solid state amps and I believe that the very best amplification can be solid state, however the very best amplification could also be with valves ("tubes" in US) or, of course, hybrid.

I have been told the Chinese have a saying: "It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice".

Actually I like vacuum tube amps, I have 3 of them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #24 of 95
Quote:

Only joking!

That depends on what you mean by "best amplification" of course. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #25 of 95
Quote:

Who was it that said, "if it measures the same but SOUNDS DIFFERENT- you must be measuring the wrong things"?  

beerchug.gif

If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing. - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Who was it that said, "if it measures the same but SOUNDS DIFFERENT- you must be measuring the wrong things"? 

Quote:

If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing. - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen

Thanks, @rosgr3.  That is the proper quote.  

I think I combined that quote by Recklinghausen with something that @purrin said when asked about measuring the differences in tube combos with the same amplifier...

IIRC, he said something to the effect that "we certainly hear differences in tube combos but still don't have good ways to capture those differences in measurements that correlate to our perception".

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #27 of 95
I like both SS and tube amps.

The problem with tube amps is tube addiction.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #28 of 95
My first "tube" was an EF5....
It made magic with my HE5 n hd800 none of my solid state amps could, then.
Had to roll in my first tube cos the stock tube died..:p
nah I wasn't addicted... Just a little high.
The tube path is part of the road we must walk in headfi.

Now...which balanced tube amp to snag...tats the headache.:rolleyes:

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 95
What tube addiction? None to be had, oh, okay, I have around 3500 in storage, but hey, you need that many, right? right?

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #30 of 95
Admission is part of the cure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back