Are Tube Amps better than Solid State Amps?
Jan 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #46 of 95
Quote:
Get to test out the Lyr vs Ef-5 tomorrow. and tube is hot almost burned my paw off :frowning2:

so whats the verdict ....which amp gives u the ommmmphhhh ? 

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:
Q: Which are better? Tubes or transistors?

A: Yes.

se

I wonder what is meant by "better" ? 
smile.gif

The definition for "better" for me is: most accurate

So personally I think it is not possible to say whether valve amplifiers are better than solid state or vice versa.

Personally the very best I have heard is solid state, but I am certain there is equally good with valves.

And of course there are the hybrid amplifiers to be considered as well.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #49 of 95
Quote:

smile.gif

The definition for "better" for me is: most accurate

So personally I think it is not possible to say whether valve amplifiers are better than solid state or vice versa.

Personally the very best I have heard is solid state, but I am certain there is equally good with valves.

And of course there are the hybrid amplifiers to be considered as well.

Hey, have you heard the wonderful music floppy drives can make?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE&hl=en-GB&gl=SG

That doesn't make cds or usb drives worse.
Every technology serves a purpose, and if its replaced by something that has better performance, there's no reason to stick to the old tech. Unless for novelty, and hobby.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #50 of 95
Quote:

smile.gif

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed. --Robert Pirsig

That's how I look at it anyway.

se

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #51 of 95
Quote:

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed. --Robert Pirsig

That's how I look at it anyway.

se

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance :)

I read it many years ago. I was a keen motorcyclist then.

I think that Hi Fi is not about the machine. In Hi Fi the machine is to disappear. The "Fi" of course is for fidelity as everyone knows.

In the mid 80s we saw a major change take place and the Hi Fi started to become the object of fascination rather than the music it was replaying.

At the time I was very much along for the ride but now we have travelled too far in this journey I wish we had gone on a different route.

I read reviews of Hi Fi now that are in an active mode, they write about the components as if they were the musicians. It is a fetishisation which alas leaves me unsatisfied.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

Hey, have you heard the wonderful music floppy drives can make?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE&hl=en-GB&gl=SG

That doesn't make cds or usb drives worse.
Every technology serves a purpose, and if its replaced by something that has better performance, there's no reason to stick to the old tech. Unless for novelty, and hobby.

I agree with you :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #53 of 95
Quote:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance :)

I read it many years ago. I was a keen motorcyclist then.

I think that Hi Fi is not about the machine. In Hi Fi the machine is to disappear. The "Fi" of course is for fidelity as everyone knows.

In the mid 80s we saw a major change take place and the Hi Fi started to become the object of fascination rather than the music it was replaying.

At the time I was very much along for the ride but now we have travelled too far in this journey I wish we had gone on a different route.

My road has always been toward my own subjective pleasure and enjoyment. I can't think of any other reason to listen to music, whether live or reproduced. So "hi-fi" is a rather meaningless term as far as I'm concerned, because I don't care how hi the fi may be, if I'm not enjoying myself, I want nothing to do with it.

se

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #55 of 95
If you enjoy the music it doesn't matter, does it?

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #56 of 95
Technically SS is clearly better but we don't hear 'technically'. Personal preference is what's important.

Some people prefer a more rose tinted colored view of their music and for that tubes are better. The problem is the amp will make ALL music sound colored. If you only listen to one genre of music this could be a blessing but if your tastes are more eclectic then it's likely to be a curse.

If really want to hear what was intended, SS is the way to go most of the time. I am in the accuracy camp and I find accuracy very musical.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #58 of 95
Kept the Ef-5, it's a match made in heaven for the he-500. The O2 sounded tooo neutral and boring. The Schiit Lyr, sounded very veiled with the jj tubes. I didn't want to go through the process of getting better tubes because the original sucks... However the Ef-5 sounded sexy right out of the box. Perfect tube sound for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back