Are these new HD 650s or old?
Dec 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
What do you think would be the best amp for the HD 650s listed above or sub $250 range? Should I go solid state or tube?

You should check out the Audio-GD gear. For dac/amp combos within that price range it'd be pretty damn hard to beat something like the Sparrow, or the NFB11/12 at its introductory price. It boggles my mind that Audio-GD is hardly mentioned outside of the Headphone amps/Source components forums. There's a reason Audio-GD has garnered an almost cult following here lol. Kingwa, the mad engineer/designer is a friggin' artist. Just go to the Audio-GD site to read his sound philosophy and technical musings in broken English to appreciate the man's dedication to his field. Or you can ask for advice in the dedicated threads where I'm certain you won't be led astray. I know I wasn't.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #33 of 36

Quote:
Quote:
What do you think would be the best amp for the HD 650s listed above or sub $250 range? Should I go solid state or tube?

You should check out the Audio-GD gear. For dac/amp combos within that price range it'd be pretty damn hard to beat something like the Sparrow, or the NFB11/12 at its introductory price. It boggles my mind that Audio-GD is hardly mentioned outside of the Headphone amps/Source components forums. There's a reason Audio-GD has garnered an almost cult following here lol. Kingwa, the mad engineer/designer is a friggin' artist. Just go to the Audio-GD site to read his sound philosophy and technical musings in broken English to appreciate the man's dedication to his field. Or you can ask for advice in the dedicated threads where I'm certain you won't be led astray. I know I wasn't.

[size=medium]
I was actually debating between either the  NuForce Icon HDP or Audio-gd FUN as an option. You get a DAC and an amp, they both seem to be highly liked with the HD 650s and they are both somewhat affordable. I don't feel like tube rolling and with the FUN you can put that moon module in there and you get a tube sound anyway.
[/size]

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 36
The HD650 has great synergy with the Fun. With the earth module installed it's effortlessly dynamic and there's a lush, textured presentation with great clarity and a good soundstage. I suspect the WM8741 DAC module and the neutrality of the discrete amp with ACSS in high gain both help to lift the dreaded Sennheiser "veil".

I also have the moon module which I installed last night to compare. It has a more forward presentation that jumped out straight away but it seemed less balanced and was more congested. Earth is where it's at.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #35 of 36
I have decided to buy the FUN with the earth module and it is on its way over here as we speak. Now for the HD 650s... I was looking on ebay and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the sellers "razordogdeals2008" or "sonic_sense_pro_audio."  Are the HD 650s they sell the new version with the silver under the grill? Items here and here. I was just wondering if anyone here has bought from these guys and can confirm they are the new version. I think it has been long enough for the new ones to be out, but I don't want to get an old on and have to pay a restocking fee to return it. Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 36
Your sound card should be a really good DAC so you shouldn't see significant difference with outside DAC and and it's possible that that even amp may not be needed. I, for example have no problem driving my HD650 straight from Auzen X-Fi Prelude so i would try them first without extra stuff to make sure you really need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back